BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After landing that ultimate striper, or any other fish...

Whats the most humane way to allow the fish to transition into it's own afterlife.

Probably very few people actually think about this.. . But I'm sure that the fish is sensing, seeing, hearing, and experiencing all kinds of thinks before it dies.

So what's more humane, letting him slip away while being iced, or while laying on the beach. Or maybe, giving him a couple of blows with a rubber malet to quicken the transition, and to stun him a bit.

Any thoughts on humanity, or 'fishnity'?

·
Registered
16,417 Posts
Slice it's throat from ear to ear immediately. This helps to ensure your meat will be top grade, also ends it quickly! Least you can do is correctly take care of the meat when taking one of gods creatures. Don't feel sorry for the fish, you are the # 1 predator on earth

·
Registered
146 Posts
Capt.G, I agree for the best fish cut the throat or gill rakes let them bleed out than put on ice the difference in the color of the meat is like night & day. Good fishing, Geo.

·
Registered
298 Posts
bleed them as above, or bash them on the head with a cali framer or priest to kill them quick, then ice them. i figure just sticking them in the cooler is the same as drowning for humans, and while certain folks like the whole asphyxiation thing in some situations, it's not my bag. do unto others and all that.

if you want a thought on the humanity of it, since fish don't make love or raise their children, i don't consider them to be as sentient or emotionally evolved as creatures who do so. granted, our emotions are merely a glorified evolutionary extension of the survival instincts we share with all animals, but the most noble of these emotions, the one that sets humanity apart, allows us access to a place where we can empathize with the plight of our prey or enemies, identify with them in a fashion other creatures, including other mammals, are incapable of. the twinge of guilt you may feel when killing an animal is simply the knowledge that this creature is indeed connected with you in the same eternal struggle for survival. this twinge is the only thing that distinguishes you from a shark or a bear. the difference in capacity for understanding the interconnected nature of the world does not mean we have the right to treat fish with condescension or disrespect, as they are engaged in the same wheel we spin around on, making them kin of sorts, but if it helps to assuage your guilt a bit, so be it.

you asked for it ;)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The easiest solution for me is to let the fish go.

In the rare instance I do keep a fish, I like to kill it immediately, especially if fishing the beach.

In a boat I usually put it in the community cooler and hope that it doesn't suffer too long.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hitless,

That is an excellent response. It is difficult to explain the guilt/sadness/pride/happiness of catching and killing another creature. Thanks for the post, I know I'll be referring to it at a later date to answer the question of what it means to hunt or fish...

Joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
I cannot believe that grown men are having a discussion over the humane way to kill a fish. It is a fish. Whether you eat it or throw it back sooner or later it is going to die. Does a Shark worry if its prey will suffer before he eats it. I dont think so. Come on guys. The Circle of Life.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by Unclebubbafish:
I cannot believe that grown men are having a discussion over the humane way to kill a fish. It is a fish. Whether you eat it or throw it back sooner or later it is going to die. Does a Shark worry if its prey will suffer before he eats it. I dont think so. Come on guys. The Circle of Life.
The point is that we actually have a conscience and a sense of reason. Nobody said they weren't aware that the fish would eventually die, just that you be respectful and compassionate with an animal whose life you are taking.

·
Registered
11,937 Posts
Don't put hooks on your lines then. Filet one side quickly and let the other side go free. A compromise!

I like to filet them still alive. Imagine them screaming in pain. Makes them taste better.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Originally posted by snichols:
The easiest solution for me is to let the fish go.

From what Beach Boy tells me, The only fish you catch is the needlefish. ;) Not much meat on them anyway. :D :D

You're right, though. No need to kill or keep them. Do a Jimmy Houston---Give 'em some sugar & let 'em go.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Jetty, :D

Beach Boy and I have managed to get a mixed bag this year. But you're right, I'm king of the needlefish. It doesn't matter whether I'm fishing plugs or flies, those things won't leave me alone.

Did he tell you about the one that took a bite out of my hand? That was a night to remember.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
I thought Kurt Cobain said

It's Ok to eat fish,

cause they

Don't have any Feeeeeeeelings !!

I used to fish with a Oriental guy who would do the Sashimi thing right there on the bridge. Said the best part of it was when the meat quivered in his mouth.

Now I am starting to think he was NOT such a nice guy

I think I feel a song coming on

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.