BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys jus moved from south jersey to Coral Springs Florida trying to catch some peacocks anyone heard of any caught down here in ft lauderdale I kno iam posting on a new jersey site but I know alot of you vacation down here any info I would appreciate it thanks guys

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
I used to catch them in every lake, drainage pond, and canal in Miami 10+ years ago... they have got to be up in Lauderdale too.

Just start tossing crankbaits, you will find them if they are there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I fished for peacocks in Miami once. I think I recall the guide saying that there are none found north of Miami-Dade county, but I could be wrong. Give it a try; at the very least there should be plenty of largemouths around.

As I was told, best lures for peacock bass are stickbaits and rat-l-traps fished fast. Live shiners work well too. When I fished it was early spring, didn't do that well. Peacock bass like it hot.

Good luck!

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
I fished for peacocks in Miami once. I think I recall the guide saying that there are none found north of Miami-Dade county, but I could be wrong. Give it a try; at the very least there should be plenty of largemouths around.

As I was told, best lures for peacock bass are stickbaits and rat-l-traps fished fast. Live shiners work well too. When I fished it was early spring, didn't do that well. Peacock bass like it hot.

Good luck!
I lived on a lake that was absolutely full of them. Smaller ones used to hunt in packs, and it was pretty easy to get multiple hookups when fishing with a buddy

With live bait it was almost too easy at times

·
Registered
239 Posts

Call Steve at Bassmaster Guide service. Tell em Ben sent you. He is reasonable and will show where you can find fish yourself...He is a fun *** dude.
Ben

·
Registered
595 Posts
Ben, I am headed to the WPB area and want to fish so i looked up the Bassmaster Guide. Reasonably priced? $200 for 4 hours of bank fishing? Man that is very expensive in my opinion. I fish Cape May on a boat with one other guy all day for $130 each....

·
Registered
160 Posts
I heard they got hit pretty hard by the big freeze than knocked off all those snook a year ago...

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2011/05/16/features_peacock_bass_1008/

The peacocks took a very bad hit, along with all the snook, oscars & cichlids down here. A freind of mine is part of a snook study on the loxahatchee, and he lost 80% of his sonar tagged fish to the freeze, and from what I've seen that percentage reflects what we've lost here in the Indian river lagoon. Unfortunately, the state of Florida cares more about the revenue from their precious 12$ snook stamp than the species itself. Once upon a time I could drift flies at my inlet and pick up 7-8 fish a night, I don't think I caught more than 15-20 snook in all of 2011/12.

·
Registered
239 Posts
We payed like 350 for 4 of us for a full day on a stratos boat all through the canals...Caught tons of fish..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts