BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey barners long time since i have been really able to fish with Mom being sick...Good to see ya guys..I got an unfavorable weather report for this coming week and figured next week i'd be able to put in some time...Going to fish the night with peanut bunker and am looking for tips as far as using them as i know weakies and stripers are around and wanted some advice on methods and tips...Don't have a problem keeping them alive as i have done it once last yr. and found that a 20 gal. round tub with an oxygen infusor does the job..I'll be fishing around mostly sod banks and a bridge or 2...Thanks for any help ...And again good to see everyone and hope everything is well with everyone...Tight lines ...Pazman

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Hey Paz

Line to barrel swivel(I add a sinker slide in case I want to add weight), 40-60 pound flouro leader tied with a palomar to either #6 all the way down to a #2 Gama circle. Hook in upper lip or just in front of doral fin. Cast and live-line. BOOM

Good Luck

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Bass:
Hey Paz

Line to barrel swivel(I add a sinker slide in case I want to add weight), 40-60 pound flouro leader tied with a palomar to either #6 all the way down to a #2 Gama circle. Hook in upper lip or just in front of doral fin. Cast and live-line. BOOM

Good Luck
DR. BASS--DO YOU PUT IT UNDER A FLOAT?DO YOU CAST TOWARDS THE SOD BANKS?USUALLY NEAR TWO CREEKS COME TOGETHER? WITH MY LIVE WELL THEY STAY ALIVE FOR A GOOD WHILE.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Jack how the hell have you been?? I was cheering you on from my kitchen in the Duke tourney, next year!!

It depends on the current. I use a #2 now especially b/c they are small, have a set up with a #6 ready to go for the big ones. Funny you should ask about the float, went to that last night. I like to keep them down about 2-3 feet . I will add a 1/4 ounce to as much as ounce sinker in real heavy current. I do this with either a split shot or right to a sinker slide depending on set-up. Lately almost always a sinker slide b/c I can change weight fast if needed. The bass were in FULL force last night with some larger ones around as well. Gotta love the NE wind!!

I keep them alive in a home made bait well, garbage can with an aerator attatched to a car baterry. No problems with that, good for every 4-5 hour trip. BTW, great flattie bait!!! Don't do it much but hand over the leftovers to a friend usually going out when I am coming in, claims he slaughters the flatties with them.

Ron

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
LIKE I HAVE SAID THE BACKBAY FISHING IS A LEARNING EXPERIENCE. I READ THIS FORUM EVERY DAY.I FEEL AT EASE WITH TUNA,BLUEFISH AND SHARK BUT WITH THE WEAKFISH AND BACKWATER STRIPERS I GOT A LOT TO LEARN.THANKS FOR THE COMEBACK.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Gotta chime in on the flounder side of this one. Took my son out last Sat. for his first strickly flounder trip. He catches a 17&1/2" first drift. Anyway, my only keeper was a fat 20". When I filleted it, I always check the stomach, it had a whole peanut in it. It was a huge PB. So large that I first thought it had swallowed a white perch. I would send one to the bottom while you're out Paz, ya just never know! Get'em Wet! Pig

·
Registered
655 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Bass:
Jack how the hell have you been?? I was cheering you on from my kitchen in the Duke tourney, next year!!

It depends on the current. I use a #2 now especially b/c they are small, have a set up with a #6 ready to go for the big ones. Funny you should ask about the float, went to that last night. I like to keep them down about 2-3 feet . I will add a 1/4 ounce to as much as ounce sinker in real heavy current. I do this with either a split shot or right to a sinker slide depending on set-up. Lately almost always a sinker slide b/c I can change weight fast if needed. The bass were in FULL force last night with some larger ones around as well. Gotta love the NE wind!!

I keep them alive in a home made bait well, garbage can with an aerator attatched to a car baterry. No problems with that, good for every 4-5 hour trip. BTW, great flattie bait!!! Don't do it much but hand over the leftovers to a friend usually going out when I am coming in, claims he slaughters the flatties with them.

Ron
Dr Bass,

When you say #2 or #6 hook, do you mean 2/0 up to 6/0, or the (much smaller) #2 - #6?

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.