BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey........even somebody like me with limited casting skills can net a lot of peanut bunker now.

I usually just take a few and freeze them for some bottom fishing. They don't seem to hold up well for me. And they don't seem to survive long in a bait bucket Any other uses or suggestions on how to effectly use but not waste them?
Thanks,
Frank

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Frank, Try purchasing a little airator to attach to your bucket while live fishing with them,.They are not that expensive and run on batteries.
And don't overload the bucket with bunker,if they are that plentiful just keep a few in there at a time..

Good Luck

·
Registered
930 Posts
Yeah, if you're using a 5 gallon bucket w/ an aerator then don't keep any more than 12 peanuts in there. And even w/ the aerator you'll need to give them fresh water every 30 minutes or so. They're a very fragile fish! The only way to keep a large quantity of them alive at once is w/ a HUGE cooler set up w/ at least two aerators. Even then you really can't keep more than 4 doz...

I wouldn't really freeze them, except maybe to use for chumming at a later date. They don't hold up well w/ the thaw. I typically just use them "fresh" (dead but no more than a day old and kept on ice). Have done pretty well using them both for bottom fishing and from the surf. Good luck man.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by lchan:
or can u just use those floating bait buckets u leave in the water???
Those aren't always practical. If fishing from a jetty or the shore that's pretty much out. Also, they don't make those that big. I believe that they're the equivalent of 1.5gal and won't support many peanuts. Now if they make them bigger I stand corrected, but I've never seen one.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Always better to practice throwing the net when there is allot of bait in the water. It helps your moral when you get a few. Frozen peanuts work for most NJ species. When their mouths open then change baits.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts