BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that Peanut Bunker are around the boat docks right no. My quetion is would they have a problem if I was to throw my cast net to pull some in for bait? I will be out tomorrow morning early. I had a bad experience years ago when I asked permission to cast my net for them. I don't want to say where, but it was in the OC area. Just would like to hear some feedback. Thanks

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I would guest "they" are fishermen fishing around the area you plan on castnetting...
Its always a nice courtesy to ask,because if I was fishing a school of bait that was holding fish
(Bass/Weakfish etc.)it will chase these fish...
But if nothing was working the bait,I wouldn't mine..

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These were guys just hanging out by the boat, they weren't fishing. I guess since I don't have a boat I'm not welcome. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
hey fish enough. i have had problems every once and awhile throwing a cast net in the canals. mostly if you're nice about it and offer the naysayer some of your cast nettiing sucsess they will be agreeable. i do this from my boat and have been told that i had no bussiness being near their backyard, boat, dock, canal,ect. just be poleit and don't hit their boat. i think they just didn't want me depleting "their" bait supply. legally you can do this. i found this out because an individual felt the need to involve the police when i would leave "his" lagoon. well when the cop showed up and i told him what i was doing he said ok. the issue turned out to be that the other party told the cop i had done damage to his boat with my net. i had not hit his boat, so no damage was observed. this guy almost got taken in for a false report. keep your wits about you and catch some peanuts. it's worth so agrevation.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Cleaning up after yourself is a must. I've seen remnants left from castnetters including: piles of weeds; shells; fish heads; and all kinds of other debris left on public and private docks.
I've talked to a few marina owners that woke up to dead fish all over their docks in the morning. Needless to say most of those areas are now off limits to any kind of castnetting activity.
Common sense and courtesy should be used at all times!

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I agree with Far... there is a pier across the street in a busy "tourist" area... it used to be ok to walk over with your fishing rod at night and cast in the lights...lots of local young kids could fish in a nice, lighted area without worrying about being out late on a slippery sodbank or a bridge with traffic, so their parents were cool with it.... then a couple guys started throwing their nets there and left all that bottom junk and loads of dead peranuts on the deck... you couldn't walk on the pier without dead peanuts crunching under your feet for a couple weeks...

New sign went up.... not "No Castnetting".... it reads "NO FISHING".... and it is enforced.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
fmtuna and far26 are right on. i should have said so in my post. leaving nothing but foot prints is the only way to go. i do all of my netting from my boat, but i don't throw anything but weeds back. if you don't make a problem, usually no one else will.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I tried it yesterday morning and I was told this is for members only so I left. Its really irritating that few morons have to ruin it for everybody.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by Fishenough:
Well I tried it yesterday morning and I was told this is for members only so I left. Its really irritating that few morons have to ruin it for everybody.
You can't exactly call them moron's. They pay for the boat and all its expenses including the cost of a slip. They may not own the water, but they pay for the dock you would be casting off of.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Originally posted by TI Guys:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Fishenough:
You can't exactly call them moron's. They pay for the boat and all its expenses including the cost of a slip. They may not own the water, but they pay for the dock you would be casting off of. </font>[/QUOTE]I don't think he meant the dock renters or the marina owner being the morons. I am pretty sure he meant the morons/idiots/a$$holes who left crap behind etc.. which has made these places off limits.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by TI Guys:
You can't exactly call them moron's. They pay for the boat and all its expenses including the cost of a slip. They may not own the water, but they pay for the dock you would be casting off of. </font>[/QUOTE]TI, I should've clarifyed myself. I don't blame the owners at the docks. THey have all the right to not let people around their docks. The morons are those people who have to leave their trash behind. Sorry for not clarifying.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by Fishenough:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TI Guys:
You can't exactly call them moron's. They pay for the boat and all its expenses including the cost of a slip. They may not own the water, but they pay for the dock you would be casting off of. </font>[/QUOTE]TI, I should've clarifyed myself. I don't blame the owners at the docks. THey have all the right to not let people around their docks. The morons are those people who have to leave their trash behind. Sorry for not clarifying. </font>[/QUOTE]Oh, well I agree 100% with that. And thats the story behind so many lost priveledges in our fisheries. The minority of recreationals ruin so many things the majority of us respect and take care of.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Still, I couldn't tell someone "Sorry, you can't use my dock"

That sucks.

Tony

1 - 18 of 18 Posts