BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i know im gonna get blasted for this one But man i gotta tell ya ,I have seen so much Baby Bunker get caught and wasted in the past few years its startin ta erk me .......

this is my oppinion on peant bunker and stripers

peanut bunker does not work just as well for chunking stripers in the bay,as adult bunker does!!
they do not sink fast enough period !!They do ok in shallow water on slowwwww tidal periods ...thats about it,they are better for back bay ,sod banks and around the rocks as bait...

why just keep scooping up loads and loads of pb's to waste them ? Just because you can ?

Lets not forget the Pb/s are our future bunker stock,Ive just seen so much peanut bunker wasted over the past few years its really startin ta bother me .....

Yes thay are easy to cast net,you can load up bucket fulls ...But they should'nt be wasted ...

Take what your gonna use and leave it at that ..

sorry to rant and Rave,and this is nothing personal to anyone on the board,But lets face it you keep taking loads of Baby bunker by the cooler full,and buckets full,It will catch up to all of us eventually !!!! Thanks,Vinny

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Vinny - I am with you on this one brother.

I hope people arent netting them with the intention of using them for stripers when they are dead cause they keppt 2000 peanuts and they all died. - waste of resource & time IMHO* - AT MINIMUM SHRIKWRAP EM & FREEEZE EM FOR NEXT YEAR - better yet - only keep what ya need for that day.

Live ones for fluke - Heck yeah!

Lives ones to chum up tunas - heck yeah thats good sheet.

Ya see where Im going

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
VDAWG, you're right any waste of live bait is unexceptable, unless you're going to keep it for later use like frozen or chum. When I net live bait I maintain them as well as I can in my live well, by not overcrowding, changing the water freguantly and anything that lives goes back and anything that dies gets froze. Those little guy's all add up eventually.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Brian E. Mullaney:
Vinny - I am with you on this one brother.

I hope people arent netting them with the intention of using them for stripers when they are dead cause they keppt 2000 peanuts and they all died. - waste of resource & time IMHO* - AT MINIMUM SHRIKWRAP EM & FREEEZE EM FOR NEXT YEAR - better yet - only keep what ya need for that day.

Live ones for fluke - Heck yeah!

Lives ones to chum up tunas - heck yeah thats good sheet.

Ya see where Im going
Bri,and i agree 100%...They are great as live baits and fresh dead as well for what you mentioned and even stripers in the right place at the right time ...
however,again THEY DO NOT WORK AS GOOD AS FRESH adult bunker in the bay PERIOD ...
Ive seen guys down the end of my block dumping bucket fulls,cause they died and were getting nasty fowl !!!!!
BUt to take 1000's of pb's to grind up as chum is just rediculice,what ya gonna chum up in the bay?BLUEFISH !!!
and like i said chunking um they just wash away with the tide ...............

[ 10-08-2005, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: VDAWG ]

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Mullica Bob:
VDAWG, you're right any waste of live bait is unexceptable, unless you're going to keep it for later use like frozen or chum. When I net live bait I maintain them as well as I can in my live well, by not overcrowding, changing the water freguantly and anything that lives goes back and anything that dies gets froze. Those little guy's all add up eventually.
BOB ,agreed take what your gonna use and use it !!! But 1000's just to grind up as chum to me is a waste.....
INHO chumming Bunker for stripers decreases your odds of actually catching STRIPERS !!!!
BUT you will catch BLUES,doogfish ,and a veriety of unwanted species !!!

CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK .....the beasts will come !!!

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
I ONLY fish WHOLE heads now on 10/0 or 9/0 Gami or Owner hook -, want to get into live lining more.

Those trips you and Kobey & Capt John on Caveman are going to run for BIGUNS are gonna be da shcheet!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
23,510 Posts
VDAWG, with you 100%.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Brian E. Mullaney:
bri that looka awesome....
i fish a lure that looks exactly like a live peanut before its stresses out all the color hughes are there man i wish i could find a pic of it somewheres its called MR.BUNKER its not the rattltrap brand ...it looks so much moore life like ..The rettle trap looks life like just after a Pb would be taken from the water and looses most of its color due to stress ....

Bri,Capt.Kobey and i have been fishing at night for the Big uns for a few years now together,But as fun trips !!
And I myself ,well do it when ever i get the time and a weather window,coinsiding with a peak tidal situation...I run down to the boat and jump on and go with ether a friend or my sons...sometimes only fishing a few Peak hrs.. I sometime slam huge fish in numbers,But sometimes I only get a few but the ones i do are mostly trophy Fish ....notice in my post about that subject ,The pics !Its Dark LOl
and I would have plenty more But my hard drive crashed recently,and i lost a bunch of my pics. glad I have some off a regular camera,from over the years ..
The 1 that hurt me the most that i lost is the one with my son Rays 46#er he does have a pic of it 8x10 in his collection under his bed ......
Right next to the play boy i found :eek: :D

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Don't misunderstand me there's no way I would grind up a 1000. I only take what I need and if there are some that won't survive I freeze them not with the intention of only chuming, but if they make it into the chum mix at least they didn't get wasted. 99% of my peanuts all survive in my tank anyway so I don't come home with any

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Mullica Bob:
Don't misunderstand me there's no way I would grind up a 1000. I only take what I need and if there are some that won't survive I freeze them not with the intention of only chuming, but if they make it into the chum mix at least they didn't get wasted. 99% of my peanuts all survive in my tank anyway so I don't come home with any
No BOB I dint mean you Pal ,im just talking in genral !! ;) i know most dont waste um ,But i gotta say it again,IVE SEEN 1000's just plain dumped dead ....

And i hope you chummin guy's dont get all fired up,when i speak of chumming in the bay for stripers is a waste ....IM TALKING FOR ME PERSONALLY !!!AND THIS IS only my honest oppinion,

I would love to hear from some of the Professionals that fish the bay for stripers,for fun living ,charters,or Tourneys !!!
DO YOU GUYS CHUM ???????
and by chum i dont mean CHUNK !!!! ;)

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
VDAWG,
you are not ranting and raving, you are only educating a wide range of readers in the proper use of Peanut Bunker. I agree with you, that they are of little use in every day application.

Other than a few for the livewell, only way I know of that they are useful is to grind them fresh on the back deck of boat to spice up the waters. Even then, they still have a low fat content.

Chunking in the Bay, give me big fresh fatbacks!
Captn Joe
Captn Joe

[ 10-08-2005, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Captn Joe ]

·
Registered
817 Posts
For the last several years I have been buying frozen ADULT bunker and grinding it up for chum. It has worked well for me and yes we will have blues mixed in but not to the point of anoyance. I also throw chunks and when that works I dont use the chum. Its messy, it smells and most of all bunker chum is expensive, especially during the fall. Sometimes I think the chum draws them better than the chunk,but I am willing to try alternate methods maybe I am not dispersing enough chunk. I am also lazy and I can just throw in the chum pot and relax instead of continually cutting bait up. AS far as penuts I have only used them in chum when I bought some for live use and they died. I don't think they give off enough scent to be effective even if there was 1000 of em ground up. IMHO
JB

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Agreed, Vinny. Net what you'll use in a day's fishing and stop. We use them for fluke baits and bring a handful to the local wrecks, but certainly not excessive and once we have what we need the net gets packed away for the day. I have also seen folks cast netting by the bucketful only for them to go to waste. It is a real shame, as they are the future of the bunker stock which is an incredibly important forage fish for stripers and other fish.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
My concern is the increase in guys targeting the peanuts. The increase in seaside population and the internet fishing sites have greatly increased the use of peanuts. Stop by any basin or dock area and you will probably see guys w/ castnets or evidence that they were there earlier.
Just hope guys aren't being wasteful.

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
VDAWG, very good post.

I once saw a guy netting peanut bunker in North Wildwood. I watched him fill up a bucket then proceed to the next bucket.

I asked him what he was going to do with them, selling them? I knew bait shops don't buy them readily because they don't freeze well.

He said he was just praticing his cast net throwing and that he wasn't doing anything wrong because there was no limit. :confused:

[ 10-08-2005, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: barnaby ]

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I bag'em up for chum. I don't see is as waste. the fish are hppy. I'm happy. peanuts, not so happy. I have 5 gal. in 1 gal bgs frozen. My buddy has 11 gals. and we will utilize every one of them. The adult bunker are hard enough to find some times, let alone the price.

[ 10-08-2005, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: eelball ]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
vdawg, i don't know if your rant was directed at me or not, but i see your point. i was not clear in my post not to take more than you will can use. i net the bunker for live bait. what's left at the end of the day is used for chum. none is wasted, i even pull adult bunker out of the trashcan at the marina so it doesn't go to waste. your right, i should have been very clear as these are just typed words and the exact meaning can be lost. hey i'm not a writer, i barely passed english. now for alittle rant of my own,the guy asked a question about chumming. not what technique is better or wiser. you and several others started up the chunking technique giving no play to this guys question. this board is about information, not forcing an opinion at someone. i'm just saying answer a question when asked.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What really got me goin on this is,I fish alot right down the end of my street,with my sons starting in Sept.
I cant tell you how many times guy's pull up and bring buckets of peanuts down to the drink only to disgaurd them ....It happens often this time a year ....

I only put this post up to try and give Guy's so good pointers on preserving one of the most important forage fish for striped bass,Some may not even realize that these peanut Bunker are Our future BUNKER STOCKS .......

Also to try and Maybe help a few fellow barners String out a better catch of stripers In the Bay...
Again my honest oppinion is if your chummin in the bay,your wasting your time,Unless ya dont mind catching everything else that the chum may bring in .......AGAIN JUST ONE MANS OPPINION ...
Hell if the tide is reaLLY PUSHING we dont even through chunks ,they blow right out !!!
we mainly chunk heavey when we first pull into an area,obviosly the more we move the more we chunk..
I cant tell you how many times we stopped chunking even all together to catch bass instead of Bluefish,If we would have had chummed,we would of had no stripers at all .....

also im talking about the fall (THe NOW TIME)
the blues will eat ya alive time .....

again im not the master fisherman,The batman of bass,the sultan of Stripers.....
SOOOO to each his own ..........
you keep doin your chummin thing as long as it works for you , and i'll keep doin my thing CAUSE IT DOES WORK FOR ME !!!!!

[ 10-08-2005, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: VDAWG ]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts