BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished in the Strathmere area Saturday morning and three of us caught 60 fluke with only 2 keepers, all on minnows. One keeper was 22" so it was enough for dinner. Perfect weather and a great day on the water. Got checked out again and the man asked what we were using for bait. Asked him about having fluke bellies on board and he said each piece is considered an indvidual fish. If you have 12 strips, you pay 12 times the $30. dollars. He said he works with people and if they have some on board and its still frozen, he will give them a warning. But if a person tells him that he has none on board and he finds some, he throws the book at them. He fined one man an extra $700. by looking at each strip as one fish after the man gave him a hard time. He stated that when they have a meeting, all the officers have different oponions regarding the law and finally a higher up says "OK, no using it at all." He said your better using sea robin as it works just as well. I use minnows 99% of the time so it doesn't concern me. However, if I was the one getting fined a large amount, I would take it to court as they are assuming you are guilty and have no evidence to support it. If you have the strips and an undersized fish, its a different story.

"Dances with Flounders"

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
i usually take a couple of small ziplock bags of floun belly strips with me for each outing.sat i saw the state police checking people and i thought it was the man at first so i dumped my bags into the drink without the bags in case he came my way. not worty it anymore , i will fillet one at sea if i get one for now on.did not want any trouble. i was by harrahs and the brigantine bridge. brown bob

·
Registered
836 Posts
I hope we can get something changed in the law to allow us to use fluke strips for bait. I have been using it forever and it is one of my favorite baits, but I will have to stop using it because it seems like the man is turning up the heat. Is the law turning this into some sort of cash cow? We recs sure get our a$$ kicked around by fishing regs. When I fillet my catch, I save a strip from each side of the belly, so all my baits are from legal fish. Do I need to fillet my fish in front of a notary and get an affidavit of legal size?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think we all need to get some more clarity on the legality of using Fluke/Flounder ribbon as bait. In last week?s ?The Fisherman?, they talked extensively about using them as bait.
I have been using them since I was a kid and swear by them as my teaser bait. I DO NOT keep any small fluke, but when I get a keeper (which has been only a handful this entire season), I am careful not to waste any portion of my catch.
I can see their point of view if they catch someone in the act of filleting up a small fluke and using it as bait, but come on, they need to stop their harassment of us honest fisherman.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts