BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://bcs.dep.state.fl.us/news/innovative/report/appendix_c/15-PEM_System.pdf

Anybody have any interest, insight, inside info on pressure equalization modules and beach replenishment. I find it pretty interesting and encouraging though it may not be beneficial to a jersey beach environment. I believe that strong currents are a negative to the positive displacement of sand on the beaches. It seems to work well in other areas. I know that in 2010 Ocean City allocated some funds to a test of this technology but I never did hear if they actually did go through with hiring the firm that has the patent on this relatively simple procedure.

I believe Striperholic is involved with OC beaches. Spill your guts. What do you know about it?

·
Registered
914 Posts
The slide that really stuck out to me was that it costs 3-4 times as much to replenish a NJ beach than anywhere else??? Gotta love this state...

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Pretty interesting stuff.... bet it would put beaches that use them off limit to all vehicles....

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty interesting stuff.... bet it would put beaches that use them off limit to all vehicles....
I don't think so, its my understanding that these tubes are put in above grade level but once the replenishment takes hold they are under grade.

I heard somewhere several years ago that ocean city, before a beach replenishment had asked the federal government about using this system. The reply was that they could not put any money towards this but they could pump sand onto the beaches, obviously at a much greater cost. Gotta love government mentality!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
wont let me open it ?!? but i can tell u that ocean city does not need any sand. were barely rebounding from the last sand pumping now. things are slowly getting to halfway back to where the beach is supposed to sit. bottom line is we should stop messing with mother nature.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Yes we used geo tubes last year. There buried real deep and stacked like a pyramid. Biggest problem we use equipment to go past this area and it was real soft for a year. Other problem is once it gets cut its useless. Major pollution problem once it gets cut and tears up. We were picking pieces all over the beach the first time we used it. It also ruins beach use once erosion catches up to it. Kinda good and bad. Could save homes but kills beach use.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rog, I think fishtoons was referring to the pem not geotubes.

Pem technology was looked at and the success in other places was not quite as the company propaganda suggests...... The tubes become toe stubbers and after a big storm with lots of natural erosion the pems become a tangled pile of PVC pipes. lots of initial costs and constant maintenance dollars with little or no benefits for the dynamic type of beaches ocean city has.

Geotubes are only to protect infrastructure that's there, namely the adjacent street and underground utilities. They are not designed to build beach.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
You can't stop the inevitable, just delay it. Stop pumping sand on the beach and wasting money. If homes go bye-bye, so be it.
Beach front people complain about view obstruction from dunes, so let it takes its natural course.
Thats like buying a home next to the airport, then complaing about the jets.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
foolish was the man that built his house on the sand. moronic was the man that expected his house to remain forever on that sand.

those geo tubes AKA sand condoms are a horrible idea that OC implimented years back. they cause all the beach to errode ahead of them once the water line closes in. then the water gets under them and they collapse. material appears to be non biodegradable as well... a good lawyer should sue the town for littering by puttin them on the beach.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I know the city was thinking about that system but it never was tried here. My stup, I thought you were talking about geo tubes. Sorry I was pretty tired this morning when I read this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts