BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a Penn 440ssg as a gift before a fishing trip to Florida. Spooling it with the only good line I had at the time, 15# trilene big game caught me a couple fish and worked alright but had some line twist issues. Now when I got home I respooled with 20# power pro hoping to catch me some small bass fluke blues ect from the kayak in the back. Since I spooled with the braid I notice how unevenly the line is wrapped. No matter how hard I try to apply even constant pressure the line continues to concentrate lower on the spool in an uneven fassion. Two trips out have already caused a few tangles around the spool. I know penn reels well and everything is in place how it should and I just can't figure out the problem. Anything I can do or is this going to end up a mono only reel?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would have it spooled by machine. tight as possible and evenally and you should be ok It sounds like it lumped up putting it on by hand I had that problem with a 5500 penn. some of the older style penns are not to braid friendly

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a couple of these reels and never had this problem with either mono or braid . Was it new or used? If it has been disassembled before than make sure that the clutch bearing sleeve part 98s is installed correctly. If its installed upside down it will cause the rotor assembly to sit higher on the reel and give you the problem your describing. Remember to flip the bail over manually after casting too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.