BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Penn 750 ss, original type made in USA, I remember around 2005 or something they started making some in china and the gears were actually just GLUED together and despite drag settings etc it could just come apart at the worst time.

Anyway, when the reel is set to normal mode to not allow backwards reeling (the small lever on the bottom of the reel which basically no one uses), if I quickly jolt back on the handle, it sometimes skips back instead of locking into gear as it should. I took it apart but seems ok. I'm not super familiar with reels though since I haven't fished in forever but used to fish religiously the NJ coast.

www.ebay.com

Penn Spinfisher 750ss Gear Bundle Main, Pinion & Crosswind #8-750 | eBay
Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Penn Spinfisher 750ss Gear Bundle Main, Pinion & Crosswind #8-750 at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!
www.ebay.com
you can see the largest gear in this kit ^, the smaller end of that gear has two different size teeth, I thought mine mighta been stripped causing this problem but obviously it's not that part.
Any ideas?
thank you

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I would bet on either the gears or the anti reverse dog. You also need to check the housing. Penn really started making some crap with that series of spin fisher. The housings wear and some have small pillars or supports that break. The area where the pinion gear and bearing sit in the housing gets out of round as well. First get your parts from mystic tackle if available. Some eBay parts are used or knock offs. You can also get the schematic from them on line. Or if you only fish a little buy a daiwa black gold for $100 . Super smooth.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
if it just skips going backwards your problem is under the spool not the gears. You can try lubing the anti reverse pawl but I have worn out many. I cant remember the name but its a little piece that has 2 legs that squeeze's a gear. You can bend the legs closer so it grabs more but i have worn the legs flat off. Its getting harder to get parts and when you find them they are high. Its a same I have reels that are 40 years old that I just kept going but they are becoming throw away now.

·
Registered
563 Posts
You're going to have to take it apart sooner or later. Alan Tani's website is a great resource.

You can get the schematic and part numbers from the Mystic Reel Parts website, including manufacturing revisions. I've had great success getting parts from them over the years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts