BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last ten years I havent seen a $99 reel as durable smooth and maintenance free as theese new Penns. My reels that cost two and thre times as much are not holding up to the stress of Florida reef fishing but the battles go out everday and seem like new with just a rinse.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I got a fierce 5000 as a back up to my saragosa 5000...the fierce feels like the saragosa and holds a 100yrds more line than the saragosa..I wouldn't have gotten with reel if I didn't get a great deal, but im glad I did...220yrds of 50lb braid

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Bought 2 Battles 6000s early into the Fall Run, abused them every day, and they held up great. Smooth drags, smooth reeling, best reel for the money I've come across. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
I have been on a dozen sites (including Penn's)... and cannot seem to find where they are manufactured.

I am guessing that this is because they aren't made here?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Jersey they are manufactured overseas. I am glad to see such good reviews though as I am thinking of the Battle 7000 for Tuna Jigging with The Penn Blue Water Carnage jigging Rod for my kid as I do not want to spend a ton of money on the combo for him to not enjoy it....If it works out though I may just get one as a back up for Myself cause the price point is dead on

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I got a Battle for my plugging rod this fall. Performed very well. Much better quality than what Penn has bought out in the past few years.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I have been on a dozen sites (including Penn's)... and cannot seem to find where they are manufactured.

Yeah, they're made in China somewhere. Get used to it: there are only a handful of spinning reels made in the U.S., and they're all expensive (Accurate TwinSpin, Penn Torque spinner, ZeeBaas) except for Ardent reels, which are made in Missouri, but which are freshwater reels, and not suitable for saltwater use. It's a sad fact, but if you want a saltwater spinning reel, you either have to spend $700 or more, or buy something manufactured overseas.

The price point for Penn these days is roughly $250. Anything under that will be made in Asia, and anything more than that will be manufactured in Philly. Penn still makes a ton of reels in the U.S., but itr's just not economically feasible to make budge models like the Battle in the U.S. anymore.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Can anyone compare them to the Penn Slammer series? I have a bunch and love them, but the slammer needs to lose some weight..

Also does battle come with spare spool?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
157 Posts
Battles do not come with a spare spool. IMO Slammers and braid don't go well together.
I used 2 Battle 6000's this year and couldn't be happier. Also think the Battle has a bit more drag than the Slammer.
Not slammin the Slammer:D but, I like the Battle better.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts

No they are made in China. But because they are branded by a long standing company like Penn most will overlook or not care... It is what it is..

I believe the International Line are the only reels US made by Penn. The battle is a good value reel and seem to be built pretty solid. The thing I don't get though from Penns perspective is why come out with a reel heavier than most when everyone is trying to go light these days? Shimano is killing it with the CI4 line of spinners all over the world. Some of the CI4 reels I've seen from shimano Japan are mindblowing..we're talking Stella and Sargosa drag systems inside a reel that weighs 6.5 ounces..

The Shimano Rarinium (being sold everywhere but in North America) is basically a CI4 made version of a Sargosa...it weighs 6.8 ounces and has 22lbs of drag. Bearings are 6-1 so its smooth and very very fast and it has the power handle that the old aluminum stradics have. I bought one in a weak on-line beer induced moment and couldn't believe what I had in my hands when it arrived. Since then the reel has owned tog and bass like nothing I've ever used before. I pulled a nice size bass from trying to wrap me around a bridge piling last month. After I increased the drag a click and told the fish no I just turned around to my boy Stealth Mode and said wow dude, you have to be kidding me... I think that's what Penn should be gunning for rather than putting another spinner for under a hundo out on the market...although it is probably a better bang for your buck than an Okuma or a Quantum in that price range.

I'd like to see Penn compete more with Shimano..it would be better for all of us consumers making shimano come down in price like Avet did when they got some decent competition.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
No they are made in China. But because they are branded by a long standing company like Penn most will overlook or not care... It is what it is..

I believe the International Line are the only reels US made by Penn. The battle is a good value reel and seem to be built pretty solid. The thing I don't get though from Penns perspective is why come out with a reel heavier than most when everyone is trying to go light these days? Shimano is killing it with the CI4 line of spinners all over the world. Some of the CI4 reels I've seen from shimano Japan are mindblowing..we're talking Stella and Sargosa drag systems inside a reel that weighs 6.5 ounces..

The Shimano Rarinium (being sold everywhere but in North America) is basically a CI4 made version of a Sargosa...it weighs 6.8 ounces and has 22lbs of drag. Bearings are 6-1 so its smooth and very very fast and it has the power handle that the old aluminum stradics have. I bought one in a weak on-line beer induced moment and couldn't believe what I had in my hands when it arrived. Since then the reel has owned tog and bass like nothing I've ever used before. I pulled a nice size bass from trying to wrap me around a bridge piling last month. After I increased the drag a click and told the fish no I just turned around to my boy Stealth Mode and said wow dude, you have to be kidding me... I think that's what Penn should be gunning for rather than putting another spinner for under a hundo out on the market...although it is probably a better bang for your buck than an Okuma or a Quantum in that price range.

I'd like to see Penn compete more with Shimano..it would be better for all of us consumers making shimano come down in price like Avet did when they got some decent competition.
I for one dont want a light plastic reel. The reef fish down here in Florida will twist it up like a pretzel. The 80 pound braid and locked down drag will bend parts and lock up a reel that is not heavy and built to take that abuse. For around $100 no other reel but the Penn Battle can handle it. Of course my buddys Stella can handle it but it aint no $100.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Barrel, What type of rod to put that battle reel on for kayak fishing? Currently I am using it in an 6 1/2 ugly stick.
I have three battles now. A 4000- on a 6-6 for small fish and Jersey kayak fishing. A 5000 on a 7 heavy for live bait and a 7000 with 300 yards of 80 pound braid on a 6-6 120 pound class jigging rod for bottom fishing the reefs in Florida.

·
Registered
137 Posts
After having several Penns fail badly on me in the past, I was reluctant to give these new ones a try, and I am really happy I did. Love the fact that the anti reverse was removed, that pawl was the first thing to break on my other ones.This past fall I beat the hell out of a 4000 in the surf and it never skipped a beat.
I have to outfit many outfits on my guide boat so I can't afford to spend a ton per reel, especially since an inexperienced client could drop it over the gunwhale. Has anybody else noticed that the reels in the $60-$100 range that used to be good now barely make it thru one season? I have been thru the less expensive Daiwas, quantums and shimanos and they all bit the bullet. Ten years ago these reels would last a few seasons before dying.
Looking forward to replacing my other light duty reels on board with some Battles in 2012!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I for one dont want a light plastic reel. The reef fish down here in Florida will twist it up like a pretzel. The 80 pound braid and locked down drag will bend parts and lock up a reel that is not heavy and built to take that abuse. For around $100 no other reel but the Penn Battle can handle it. Of course my buddys Stella can handle it but it aint no $100.

If your using a 4000 for small fish off a kayak in NJ than yeah I can't see you trusting a CI4 reel on a wreck in Florida.:) When I fish backwater in NJ I'm down to a 2500 reel. No need for anything over a 3000 really. We've used shimano spheros 3000's for amberjack, reds, muttons, cobia, kings and grouper in the gulf and had no problems at all with them. I've used the CI4's for tog fishing wrecks in NJ and seen some very large sheepshead landed with the stradic 3000. But yeah those reef donkeys will do a number on most reels..thats for sure.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts