BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just approached Penn at the Canyon Runner seminar to service my 15 or so Internations. The deal they gave is incredible to make 20 year old reels like new. Thats service! They sold a few reels to me on that deal.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had some time last winter & rebuilt my fathers 20+ year old internationals, and updated the drags on some of the 10 year old's. I made a bunch of online orders, & figured out everything. It's nice to know you can still get stocked carbon fiber dura-drag parts 20+ years later to replace asbestos drags! Also upgraded most of the handles to the 50VSX handle for about another $40. Like them alot

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
Great reels, awesome service, American made. Why go Japanese or Italian much less Chinese? My 50 Ts are the best chunking reels for me. I had them serviced last winter, put on New handles, filled em with jb hollow core backing and hope to be man enough to fish them for another 20 years!

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
penn reels are like driving Harley motorcycles ....there fun to drive but your always taking them apart
Hardly! If you take care of them, they will last much longer than you can fish them!

Mine get used more frequently than most, and I rarely have problems. I've only replaced 2 set of drag washers that a big bigeye and a huge sword had their way with!

Other than that, they are hard to beat!

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have reels that are over 20 years old, never been apart, never failed, and while they do need some TLC. I can still put um in the spread...

I think all this heavy drag fad is giving folks over expectations. The true pros can and do it well. However, most of us weekend warriors have no business pushing and exceeding tackle, well least not if we are to ***** about it when it brakes.. MY 2 cents...

I have Penn reels and INTL rods over 20 years old and still gettin it done. I have no issue and this recent service offer was absolutely incredible... More than paid for the seminar, far more.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Penn reels and service are great. Anytime you need help or assistance with anything Larry at Penn will get answers and make it happen. I have much more faith in Penn reels compared to some others on the market today.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Don,

Two years ago I went through each of my Internationals (11) 30's and 50's and serviced them myself. I purchased the Penn Blue Grease and lube online and was able to get all my replacement parts (bearing and drag plates) from Scott's Bait and Tackle. It was extremely easy and a good education on exactly how these reels work. If you take it slow you'll have no issues. Penn also provides all of the schismatics for the reels online to use as a reference. I actually enjoyed it.

With that said, back then I had the time and did it as a winter project. If your schedule is booked, sending them to Penn is the way to go.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm boxing and sending 15 of my Penn reels to the Phily service center as well. Had a great conversation and quick service demo with the guys at the CR seminar yesterday and too good to pass up. With time constraints and space limitations at home to pull apart and redo reels, it's more than worth it to me to send them out now. I don't know about all these "issues" other guys are having with their Penns. My reels have been great and the guys at the seminar were very attentive to questions and interested that their customers were happy. Good enough for me.
Maybe I'll pick up when ready to get the $.10 tour too. I love seeing stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Our reels see quite a bit of abuse and they work great day in and day out.... I'm running a boat this winter that has Penn, Shimano and Avet reels .. so far the only brand that hasnt had an issue is the Penn.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.