BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why have all the penn reels i bought broke down with in 3 months?

conquer 5000
battle 4000
battle 5000

they all fell apart whats up with that?

·
Registered
157 Posts

conquer 5000
battle 4000
battle 5000

I haven't heard one bad report about the Battle till now. I have 3, used them all last season and they performed flawlessly. What was the problem?

·
Registered
6,121 Posts

Maan you must be really rough on your gear, I have some cheaper reels that are still working, I Take care of my stuff though. I have one Okuma Coranado BT that I fished hard for 5 yrs on the beach and boat that's still kicking that I paid 30 bucks for that's is going on 10 yrs old now. My daughters use it now. It still ooks new too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't heard one bad report about the Battle till now. I have 3, used them all last season and they performed flawlessly. What was the problem?
conquer makes a winding sound when you crank it. battle 4000 sounds like spool scrapes the body when its revolving up and down. and the 5000 bail keeps closing on me when i try to make a power cast lost to many lures. so sold that one on the longport jetty to some guy. the other two i donated to my step pops he will use the till there dead

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
If true, it's because Penn's slacking lately and their quality overall is suffering.

Example - Fishing the Mid-Atlantic 500, Penn was under the tent and I went over to check out their reel display. They had a bunch of the spinning reels and after opening the bail (I think they were Torques), then cracking, the bail would only close half way (was like an arc over the spool, think St. Louis Arch).

To even have them out for display shows a lack of quality control, caring, etc. let alone the fact that the new reels didn't work properly.

This is what I experienced when a couple fairly my new Int'ls I had needed to be sent back for warranty repair on the drag adjusters that wouldn't work and the cust svc I experience was the worst I've experienced.

J

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If true, it's because Penn's slacking lately and their quality overall is suffering.

Example - Fishing the Mid-Atlantic 500, Penn was under the tent and I went over to check out their reel display. They had a bunch of the spinning reels and after opening the bail (I think they were Torques), then cracking, the bail would only close half way (was like an arc over the spool, think St. Louis Arch).

To even have them out for display shows a lack of quality control, caring, etc. let alone the fact that the new reels didn't work properly.

This is what I experienced when a couple fairly my new Int'ls I had needed to be sent back for warranty repair on the drag adjusters that wouldn't work and the cust svc I experience was the worst I've experienced.

J
if true? dont see y i would lie. i used to love penn reels. but anyways i agree they suk now

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Magic,

You're right, sorry about questioning your truthfulness. I didn't mean to.

I added that in case someone else griped about the OP and said what if he's making it up.

That's all and I am not surprised about your experience.

J

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
I have 13 penn battles and sarguses combined. Not one problem in one whole year of fishing them very hard! Maybe you got 2 bad ones? There is a thread in the home port forum about these reels!

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
from what you describe i wouldn't call that "falling apart"
the first 2 sound like easy fixes and the 3rd takes 2 minutes to correct........just remove automatic bail closer(something i do on all my spinners)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I have 13 penn battles and sarguses combined. Not one problem in one whole year of fishing them very hard! Maybe you got 2 bad ones? There is a thread in the home port forum about these reels!
If someone like Skip is using these reels in his daily charter business and has no complaint, it's highly possible that you got a couple from a bad batch as he suggested. I've got more than 30 Penn reels, and while most of them were American made, I haven't had any problems with the 2 Chinese battles I put into service for the 2011 striper season. I'll continue to buy Penn reels as if I need parts (rarely), I can usually get them within a day or two, even for a 1969 International.

On the other hand, my nephew who seems to be tough on everything (cars, trucks, tools, furniture, electronics, and reels) has had problems with almost any Chinese made Penn and has now switched to Avets. No problems during the first year, but I'm waiting to see how well they are working in 5, 10 or 40 years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I own about 75 rods and reels.. Many of the reels go back to the '60's There're : Mitchells,Penns, Dawias, Ticas, Shimannos etc... The olds penn SS models from the 4400 to the 8500 were the longest lasting toughest spinners for the money.. For Bass the 550-750 were the best, indestructable if properly taken care of Reel for the money... I recently bought a Penn Battle 7000 great piece of equiptment.. Check out Penn Reels on FB go to "WAR STORIES" 30lbs and brought him in solo.. YOU CAN"T TREAT YOUR EQUIPTMENT LIKE S**T AND EXPECT IT TO PERFORM LIKE NEW!! PENN GUY 4 LIFE:):)

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Penn just like shimano or any other reel manufactuer has its studs and its duds, the coach never sends in the 3rd string to win the big game...unless he is betting against himself;).....I have bought lower end penn reels and as expected have been let down, if your hard on your gear like myself.....spend the extra money the first time and save yourself the possibility of a lost fish of a lifetime and spending what you should have spent in the first place.

When it comes to convetionals......Internationals are the gold standard, yes the tiagras are right there with them.......but the internationals have been around for a very long time.....I will have to check but I am certain our 50's are from the early eighties and still perform flawlesly and have never let us down....have we been spooled?......yup, thats because we should have been fishing an 80:D

I have abused my shimano spinners for years, actually I dont think I own one that is not at least 10 years old, penn can and does put out a good product......if you go higher end, my opinion....conventional pen.....spinning.....Shimano has my business.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
BigFish I agree 100%, I always liked the 4300,4200,4500. The old ones last for a long time with proper maintenance and sometimes no maintenance. But recently went to shimano symmetry, sahara, sedona, and stradic cI4 becouse of the smoothness and the quality. Wash with lite soap and water and bath them in real majic and they operate very nicely. My dad has all 4300 penns and decided to buy a brand new 4200 from tackle direct when I got my stradic. Well my dad used the real once and he said it was the best looking penn he owned but the worst reel he ever owned. The quality was like a shakespere wal mart combo. He took the reel back after one time using it and they gave him a real hard time but refunded him because he wanted a stradic instead. So he bought a 1500 CI4 and loves it mainly for freshwater but man what a nice fresh water reel. I have also seen quite a few new GTI's fail recently, as well as little internationals 955-975. Still a penn guy for offshore except for torques. just my junior member 2 cents:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
BigFish I agree 100%, I always liked the 4300,4200,4500. The old ones last for a long time with proper maintenance and sometimes no maintenance. But recently went to shimano symmetry, sahara, sedona, and stradic cI4 becouse of the smoothness and the quality. Wash with lite soap and water and bath them in real majic and they operate very nicely. My dad has all 4300 penns and decided to buy a brand new 4200 from tackle direct when I got my stradic. Well my dad used the real once and he said it was the best looking penn he owned but the worst reel he ever owned. The quality was like a shakespere wal mart combo. He took the reel back after one time using it and they gave him a real hard time but refunded him because he wanted a stradic instead. So he bought a 1500 CI4 and loves it mainly for freshwater but man what a nice fresh water reel. I have also seen quite a few new GTI's fail recently, as well as little internationals 955-975. Still a penn guy for offshore except for torques. just my junior member 2 cents:thumbsup:

I couldnt agree more :thumbsup:

·
Registered
309 Posts
conquer makes a winding sound when you crank it. battle 4000 sounds like spool scrapes the body when its revolving up and down. and the 5000 bail keeps closing on me when i try to make a power cast lost to many lures. so sold that one on the longport jetty to some guy. the other two i donated to my step pops he will use the till there dead
Good evening......If you could email me, I'd be happy to help you take care of the problems with the reels....

Take care.....Tom :)

·
Registered
309 Posts

J

Good evening J......Referring to the Torque spinner, the reel may have been in the manual bail mode which is one of the features that the reel has.But I'm mostly and greatly concerned about the customer service situation that you had. If you could please email me, I'd be more than happy to listen to any concerns you had and who you may have been dealing with.

Take care....Tom

·
Registered
34 Posts
CAPTIVA,If any of you guys can defend that reel i'd love to hear what your thoughts are.It should have been named CRAPTIVA,it is by far the biggest piece of crap of any reel i've ever owned.I used it one time and threw it in the trash.Penn should have recalled everyone ever sold and apoligized for putting them on the market.The reel i had was when they first came out so maybe they fixed them by now but it was pure junk.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts