·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any experience with the 113HLW and the 114HLW

·
Registered
15,264 Posts
Other they have been a staple in the fishing industry for decades, what is it you're looking for. Sold reels no glitz.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I had a 114hlw for about 3 years, and used it for bottom fishing, I never had any probelms with it, I eventually sold it to a friend. But either way it was a great buy, and well worth the price:)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea mike, all guts no glory, i saw the high speed wides for the first time the other day, was gonna pick a few up for sharking

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
They are great reels, lots of backbone.
I caught my very first shark ( hammer head ) on a 113hlw on a Sabre s/u rod, still have the setup and use it all the time, it's probably 15 years old.

Maintain the reel and you're good to go.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
take one said:
anyone have any experience with the 113HLW and the 114HLW
I think biggest mistake Penn made with those is going to alum spools. They corrode and look like crap after a year. Going to alum spools to loose a few ounces was stupid..

I've two red plate high speed 6/0's(114H) a red side plate high speed 4/0 113H and a black plate 9/0 115. You can have them all for 150 bucks. Nothing wrong with any of them except they should be serviced and cleaned. Actually they are really simple to work on.. The 113 is full of 40lb monel wire. No alum spools here, all chrome over bronze. There's just going to waste here. I'm done with heavy reels like that. Avet is the way to go.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
THE 6o HAS BEEN MY FAVORITE SINCE THE MIDDLE 50'S.SLOWLY THEY ARE FADING AWAY.A FEW YEARS AGO THEY STOPPED MAKING THE 16 o's THAT YOU COULD WHIP AN ELEPHANT WITH.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Reels

Dunk said:
I think biggest mistake Penn made with those is going to alum spools. They corrode and look like crap after a year. Going to alum spools to loose a few ounces was stupid..

I've two red plate high speed 6/0's(114H) a red side plate high speed 4/0 113H and a black plate 9/0 115. You can have them all for 150 bucks. Nothing wrong with any of them except they should be serviced and cleaned. Actually they are really simple to work on.. The 113 is full of 40lb monel wire. No alum spools here, all chrome over bronze. There's just going to waste here. I'm done with heavy reels like that. Avet is the way to go.
Dunk,

Just wondering are the reels still available?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Bob ECT said:
They still make the 113HSP with the brass spool but not the 114
new for this year......

114HSP NEW!Special Senator®

Combining the toughness of the legendary Penn Senator® reel with higher gear ratios, the Penn Special Senator® gives serious saltwater anglers the best of both worlds; power and speed. Penn Special Senators are ready for your next challenge, whether trolling, casting large baits, or bottom fishing; whether trolling wire on the 113HSP, or standing at the rail of a tuna boat with the wide framed 113HLW or 114HLW.

• Precision-Machined, Stainless Pinion Gear
  • High-Strength, Manganese- Bronze Main Gears
  • Multi-Disc Star Drag System
  • Convertible Power Handle
  • Sealed, Stainless Ball Bearings
  • Chrome Reinforced Side Plates
  • Heavy-Duty Clicker
  • High-Strength, Graphite Rod Clamp
  • Corrosion Resistant

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Senators are the best reels for the money on the market IMO. We used 6/0's for years and never had a problem, caught a lot of large fish with them, tuna, shark, mahi. Last year when I bought the new rig I upgraded all the reels to Internationals.

Treat them right and they will last a lifetime, you cannot go wrong with them for the money they are great.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Look at phlyerfans photo of the 6/0. The black Brace in the center replaced a couple of cross bars, the Metal spool is nothing new, As a whole the 4/0 and 6/0's have been around a long time, have great track records. The wide versions never took off that well, I think its because Shimano came out with TLD's and theres so much more newer looking stuff that these have the appearance of being old fashioned. Out of the box, these reels generally go quite a long distance without trouble.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
tool box said:
Senators are the best reels for the money on the market IMO. We used 6/0's for years and never had a problem, caught a lot of large fish with them, tuna, shark, mahi. Last year when I bought the new rig I upgraded all the reels to Internationals.

Treat them right and they will last a lifetime, you cannot go wrong with them for the money they are great.
I 100% agree. As long as the senators and internationals are still engineer'd and made in the USA, I will continue to buy them. I pray everyday that they remain here and not go oversea's , because if that day ever comes I am going to be one unhappy person :(

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Why ya taken a tooth pick to a War 4/0 tad poles and sunfish 6/0 snapper blues in the back bays. The Big girl is the one you want when you want to kick some *** 12/0 with extra brake pads. I stopped a ship dead in its tracks last summer.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
for the money these reels are a winner. The only thing is the star drag. Be carefull you don go to tight. I have 8 red 114's and still like them. I have started to get a few internationals. The ones with the metal cross brase and brass spools are far better. I have one of the newer ones with the alum and plasic and it has broken on me. Look at the auction sites, here and at flea markets as the older ones are built better and easy to work on. Parts still available. These reels are a great way to start people have been using them for a LONG time. They are just not gold but still catch fish. Keep em in good shape and you ant go wrong. Then sell em as you upgrade.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts