BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to get a sealed bailess reel for a 10 6 legend rated 3/4 to 4... first question.. has anyone used or tried this or heard anything about this reel and its durability and what do you think? and what size would you recommend to match that rod? thnks in advance

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I haven't made the plunge myself, but I will soon. Everything I've read about this reel has been superb, and the Bailless #5 is, in my humble opinion, just about the perfect surf spinning reel. It's waterproof, holds a ton of line, is built like a tank, casts great, has a ridiculously strong drag, is bailless, and is made three miles from my house, in good old Philly. What's not to like?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i thought penn went over seas if that peticular reel is still made in the usa then yeah thats an easy call, i was gonna go vs but there overseas and to maintain warranties you have to send em back once a year and all that bs. plus they cost more. i think im gonna go with the torque.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
i thought penn went over seas if that peticular reel is still made in the usa then yeah thats an easy call, i was gonna go vs but there overseas and to maintain warranties you have to send em back once a year and all that bs. plus they cost more. i think im gonna go with the torque.
The Torque is absolutely, positively, without question made in Philadelphia. You can call the Penn HQ yourself (215-229-9415; ask for Tony), or you can just go to Penn's website, where, next to the picture of the Torque, there's a big "Made in USA" icon.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
FYI - the other site has some pretty solid reel reviews in the main forum. I think the dude did a torque, not sure if it was bailess...

RyanF

·
Registered
391 Posts

Just to clarify something- if you buy a new VS you don't have to send it in every year to keep up with warranty, that is with older model VS that you do that. The newer ones they sell a repair kit to do some basic tune-ups with. Someone correct if I'm wrong, but I'm almost positive that is with the older models. I have a newer VS and I don't send it back every year, I do my own tune ups/repairs.:)

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Just to clarify something- if you buy a new VS you don't have to send it in every year to keep up with warranty, that is with older model VS that you do that. The newer ones they sell a repair kit to do some basic tune-ups with. Someone correct if I'm wrong, but I'm almost positive that is with the older models. I have a newer VS and I don't send it back every year, I do my own tune ups/repairs.:)

correct
the newer china made reels have a one year warranty and you can get the self service kit for around $80. for both the new and old reels

1 - 9 of 9 Posts