BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a penn battle, and im having a hard time deciding which size, I have a shimano bait runner 6000 and was looking at the battle 4000 or 8000. Let me know what yall think, its for striper and inshore, maybe a mahi.

·
Registered
318 Posts
There were some guys talking about this reel in a thread on the barn not too long ago. I lost a rod and reel set up this year. I bought the exact same rod but after reading that thread and doing some research, I literally just ordered this one last night which is a 5000:

http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Battle-Line-Capacity-Bearings/dp/B00474KYO2

Can't wait to get it and use it this spring. Sounds like a great deal for the $$$.

·
Registered
285 Posts
For what you are looking to do I'd go no lower than a 5000. I have the 4000 that I use for casting plugs to stripers, has 300 yds of 20lb braid on it, but I wouldn't take it out for mahi.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I looked at both and to me there is a bigger jump between the 4000 and 5000 than the rest. I ended up with a 5000.
I plan to use this for BIG roosters in Baja.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
I have two 6000s spooled with braid I used all Fall that were an easy match for Stripers and had no issues with fish up to 35lbs. Didn't catch any bigger than that, but I'm sure the 6000 is enough for Striper you're likely encounter in our area.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
I don't remember for sure. It was a minimum of 40lb. I think it was 40lb. But I went through a stretch last year where I put 65lb on everything "just because", so it could be that as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the 7000 and plan on using it for Jigging Tuna here in Jersey. It holds 500 yards of 50 lb braid (actually just shy of 500) If you are talking for striper and Mahi the 5000 is the way to go. You may even get away with the 4000. We use 25 lb test for mahi on medium action rods (10 to 20 lb Class) for Mahi and smaller spinning reals IE 3500 series reels and have caught Mahi upto 24 lbs with no issues. In short I think either the 4k or 5k would work for the purpose you plan on using it for.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the 7000 and plan on using it for Jigging Tuna here in Jersey. It holds 500 yards of 50 lb braid (actually just shy of 500) If you are talking for striper and Mahi the 5000 is the way to go. You may even get away with the 4000. We use 25 lb test for mahi on medium action rods (10 to 20 lb Class) for Mahi and smaller spinning reals IE 3500 series reels and have caught Mahi upto 24 lbs with no issues. In short I think either the 4k or 5k would work for the purpose you plan on using it for.
I'd like to hear how that works out. I thought of getting a 7000 or 8000 for tuna, but didn't think it was enough reel. At 25 lbs of drag it just might work.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd like to hear how that works out. I thought of getting a 7000 or 8000 for tuna, but didn't think it was enough reel. At 25 lbs of drag it just might work.

I will keep you posted when the bluefin arrive. I feel it is plenty with 25 lbs of drag and 400 plus of 50 braid but will let you know

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I just dropped this off at PENN REELS this week for general maint/tune-up. Bought it about 15 years ago. Interesting comment from the PENN Tech i spoke to.....'great reel! - the newer ones/models(battles) are no where near as good'. Also read a few BAD experiences about the battles -on this site-a couple weeks ago,like serious breakage after just 6 months of use.
THIS REEL is a WORK HORSE. I cant think of anyone rougher than me when it comes to 'abusing' my outfits! PENN Also has a smaller size -- 650 (stay away from that one though--design problem/flaw) and 2 larger ones -- 850 and 950 which i hear are just as dependable and tough as my 750.

PENN 750SSm Spinfisher Metal 5 Ball Bearing + Anti-Reverse Roller Bearing 250 yd. 20 Ib. Mono.
139.99​

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I am looking to get a penn battle, and im having a hard time deciding which size, I have a shimano bait runner 6000 and was looking at the battle 4000 or 8000. Let me know what yall think, its for striper and inshore, maybe a mahi.
My friend has a 5000 and it is plenty big enough for stripers and drum. The 8000 looks huge, it would be a great surf reel but probably really overkill for stripers. I am considering getting a pair of 6000's for inshore.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
the 8000 might be a great BAIT surf reel, but nothing else. way to heavy to throw plugs with in the suds. i had an 8000 sargus on my 10'6" meat stick, and man that was a lot of rod and reel for bass....

what rod is it going on? i have a 5000 sargus on my 9 footer, and wouldn't want any heavier. the difference in weight between the 5000 and 4000 is big. i put a 4000 battle on my 7 footer and cant wait to use it. i plan to use it for bass, blues, albies, whatever else i may come across. its plenty of reel for any inshore gamefish really....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts