BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked this recently by more than several of my PA clients here to comply with NJ regulations to have a boating certificate.

Question:

Does the Boating Safety Certificate issued by State of Pennsylvania apply to use of a boat in NJ by a Pennsylvania citizen??

Thanks
Captn Joe

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Captn Joe said:
I have been asked this recently by more than several of my PA clients here to comply with NJ regulations to have a boating certificate.

Question:

Does the Boating Safety Certificate issued by State of Pennsylvania apply to use of a boat in NJ by a Pennsylvania citizen??

Thanks
Captn Joe
Capt. Joe,
The PA cert is fine as long as the person is a PA resident and the boat is registered in PA. When it's trailered to NJ the PA cert is fine.

If the person uses the boat in NJ for more than 90 days a year, they must possess a NJ Cert and the vessel should be registered in NJ, the state of principle use.

We do offer the course in Franklin Mills for the people who live in PA and they receive the NJ Boating Safety Cert:)

Here's the FAQ from NJSP:

I live in another state, do I need a boat safety certificate?
A2
Yes - Out-of-state residents are not exempt from the education requirement listed above; however, the law states that an out-of-State resident who is at least 16 years of age and who will be in this State for less than 90 days may operate a power vessel on the waters of the State of New Jersey if they possess a boat safety certificate issued by their state of residence, or if they possess written proof of successful completion of a boat safety course approved by another state, the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators(N.A.S.B.L.A.) or the United States Coast Guard.

·
Registered
377 Posts
PA Boat Certificate

Yes. As long as you operate and/or keep boat for period of less than 90 days in NJ you are considered transient and out-of-state certificate is OK. More than 90 days, i.e. you keep your boat in a slip located in NJ for normal season i.e. May through Sept. or Oct. or operate a boat in NJ for more than 90 days and you need a NJ approved boater safety certification. I don't know how they will enforce this rule. Practically speaking, if you have an out of state certificate I believe you will be OK regardless of 90 day requirement.NJ state police website has rules published on this and there was an extensive discussion about it on this forum previously.

·
Registered
240 Posts
What if??

What if you live in PA, run a friends boat (I have the PA cert.) that is regesterd in NJ Only 10 - 15 trip a year. Do I need the NJ cert also?:confused:

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Maria can you send me a contact phone number for the license dept. i lost mine sent an email and got no response.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Maria,

PA resident, in NJ less than 90 days a year, boat registered in NJ and kept in a slip in NJ. Do I need a NJ certificate? I thought I was fine with my PA certficate?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Maria,

Mine was issued by the Commonwealth of PA, are you saying its not acceptable?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
My only question is: If you boat MORE than 90 days in NJ waters and are a PA resident you must have the NJ Cert, and the boat must be registered in NJ? How can you register a boat in NJ if you dont have a residence there? Wouldnt you need a PO box or something? Just curious.

Thank you,

Mike

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
boostedcpe said:
My only question is: If you boat MORE than 90 days in NJ waters and are a PA resident you must have the NJ Cert, and the boat must be registered in NJ? How can you register a boat in NJ if you dont have a residence there? Wouldnt you need a PO box or something? Just curious.

Thank you,

Mike
The crazy thing is NJs requirements for state of pricipal use doesn't kick in until 181 days. Which shows their lack of understanding boating so I'm guessing non-boating lawyers were all over that one when it was being drawn up.:eek:

Right from MVC website....

Boats and marine equipment that do not have to be registered
  • Those not based in New Jersey or operating for less than 180 consecutive days
  • Foreign vessels
  • U.S. public vessels
  • Ship's lifeboats
  • Non-motorized vessels used exclusively on small lakes and ponds on private property
  • Racing vessels with New Jersey State Marine Police permit
  • Non-motorized inflatable devices, surfboards, racing shells, dinghies, canoes and kayaks
  • Non-motorized vessels less than 12 feet in length
Yet after 90 days you need the NJ Safety Cerificate.:rolleyes: It's an operator thing as opposed to a vehicle registration thing....:rolleyes:

I've never seen it in writing...but every reference to the USCG's reuirement of registering in state of principle use meant the largest number of days out of the total boating days you do. Say you only boat for 4 months even as a NJ boater and then pull your boat. Is NJ saying you don't have to register????? Not on your life...so it's a bit of a grey area in my book...

I think the real trigger to the Marine police will be anything with an NJ address on it. If all of your stuff is from out of state and all looks good...I doubt during the safety stop you will be interrogated...but I guess they could make a stink if you are in an accident and further investigation reveals you breaking one of the rules...:eek:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am a boater for all my life and have been certified in 1986 it was a Coast Gaurd Aux Boating Saftey Course I have a card with proper authorizations official logo from USCG it is legit and was taken back before it became a requirement that I paid to go to and pass. Now I cannot get to the bottom of whether or not it is valid now. I cannot locate anyone to verify or resend information to NJ state police and it becomes hazy whether or not I can show this card if stopped. I have called numerous State Police nos.and they naturally want me to take the course again which I have signed up at Franklin Mills but I have already taken passed and paid for this before it became law and it bothers me and takes money and time to do it again. My Auxilary friends seem to think it is ok but I cannot get any definitive information nor can I get a NJ License card without some authorization from someone else. I am a resident of both states with a home in Cape May area and my boat is registered in NJ I also live in Pa. They told me I can opt to take the test just to pass without taking the course but if you fail then you have paid for the test and now have to take the course which is anothe fee. Any info can help I am going to ask my Coast Guard Aux friend if they will send it in to the State Police as long as it is not a problem for him Thanks for any input

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Lil' Flyer said:
I am a boater for all my life and have been certified in 1986 it was a Coast Gaurd Aux Boating Saftey Course I have a card with proper authorizations official logo from USCG it is legit and was taken back before it became a requirement that I paid to go to and pass. Now I cannot get to the bottom of whether or not it is valid now. I cannot locate anyone to verify or resend information to NJ state police and it becomes hazy whether or not I can show this card if stopped. I have called numerous State Police nos.and they naturally want me to take the course again which I have signed up at Franklin Mills but I have already taken passed and paid for this before it became law and it bothers me and takes money and time to do it again. My Auxilary friends seem to think it is ok but I cannot get any definitive information nor can I get a NJ License card without some authorization from someone else. I am a resident of both states with a home in Cape May area and my boat is registered in NJ I also live in Pa. They told me I can opt to take the test just to pass without taking the course but if you fail then you have paid for the test and now have to take the course which is anothe fee. Any info can help I am going to ask my Coast Guard Aux friend if they will send it in to the State Police as long as it is not a problem for him Thanks for any input
I don't think NJ is converting older courses over to their new card...have some people done it??? It seems so... but many others have been rejected and the "word" from Trenton to the people who teach the course is to spread the word that generally any courses over 10 years old from ANY source will not be acceptable to trade in for a NJ Boating Safety Certificate. However if just showing it as proof as some safety education as an out of state boater...then it should work.

If asked whether you boat all season in NJ waters and you say yes...then I think you will get a ticket with that USCGAUX paper.

The purpose of the law was to increase boating safety in NJ waters...whether it is working or not I'll debate in another thread....;)

You fit the exact profile of someone the law was targeting...a regular NJ boater.....not an out of stater who only OCCASIONALLY boats in NJ. You reside in NJ and boat there...not another state...so I think you would be subject to the law's intent. Do you technically hit the bits and pieces of the different laws???? Maybe not...but if I were a Marine Police guy...you would fit the profile I think they are looking for and ticket you....

At that point...why not just go take the course?????

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Lil' Flyer said:
Sorry but the State of NJ will not recognize your cert since there were no NJ approved courses prior to 1/19/1988, when the law was first enacted. The courses prior to 1/19/1988 do not meet the requirements set by the NJ Boating Safety Law. There are a lot of people in your situation...the choices are test out or take the course. You're already signed up for FM and the test out is a wasted $25.00 if you fail;)

I promise you that you will learn a thing or 2 at Franklin Mills so please don't feel like you're wasting your time and $$;)

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Never - Satisfied said:
Maria,

Mine was issued by the Commonwealth of PA, are you saying its not acceptable?
No I didn't say that:rolleyes: Look on the cert and see if it has the letters NASBLA on it...out of State courses have to be recognized by your home state, cgaux, usps or NASBLA. You can ask NJSP for a 100 % for sure answer since they are governing authority;)

NJSP Marine Services Bureau 609-882-2000 ask for Boating Safety.

·
Registered
165 Posts
1-this is a state police initiative and has nothing to do with the DMV (i.e. registration of your boat)

2-the code makes NO MENTION of where your boat is kept. It only says if YOU (not the boat) spends more than 90 days in NJ you will need a NJ certificate. There is no relationship of how much time your BOAT spends in NJ.

3-PA residents..just take the internet course. Many on this site have created a cottage industry by scaring everyone into thinking that you need a NJ certificate from a classroom.

read below..its taken from the NJ Marine Police Website or click on the link.

I live in another state, do I need a boat safety certificate?
A2
Yes - Out-of-state residents are not exempt from the education requirement listed above; however, the law states that an out-of-State resident who is at least 16 years of age and who will be in this State for less than 90 days may operate a power vessel on the waters of the State of New Jersey if they possess a boat safety certificate issued by their state of residence, or if they possess written proof of successful completion of a boat safety course approved by another state, the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators(N.A.S.B.L.A.) or the United States Coast Guard.

http://www.nj.gov/njsp/maritime/faq.html

1 - 20 of 30 Posts