BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Tiny minnows are great as are live grass shrimps. Real small twister tails on tiny jigs too. Frozen shrimp should work too but may not stay on the hook as well.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I've used shrimp that got frozen while using them and they don't worknearly as well as live, I think that the live shrimp make a distress noise that attracts fish. If your chumming with live give them a little squeeze before throwing them over, just enough to wound them not kill.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Perch 101

Never targeted perch before, I'm guessing freshwater??? The surf owns me right now, maybe I'd have better luck catching a perch!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
What size hook and type of rig?
Gold colored hooks and small ones. They should be small enough that they don't kill the grass shrimp or tiny minnows you will be baiting them with. Standard hi/lo rig works fine. Two dropper loops tied with 10 lb mono with a small weight at the end to get it down to the fish or fished under a slip bobber.

Never targeted perch before, I'm guessing freshwater??? The surf owns me right now, maybe I'd have better luck catching a perch!

They're talking white perch here. They live in brackish water. They're actually related to stripers :D

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Another vote for very small minnows for bigger fish, and live shrimp for greater quantity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts