BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fished the perch tournament today,wound up in 2nd place(the first loser).my 3 heaviest perch were 1 1/2 pounds each needed a kicker fish which i did not catch today.my friend justin had 2 fish at 1 1/2 pounds and a kicker fish 2 ounces heavier than mine.way to go justin,i will be back next year.we had a good day never stopped catching fish caught around 300 perch today super nice perch just no kicker fish.i would like to thank john reese and my cousin dave pharo for fishing with me today.hey guys heard there is another perch tournament in 2 weeks if your interested call me.i will find them.louis

·
Registered
255 Posts
Anyone can fish for those perch, it's a great fishery for the kids. And...they are really the best tasting fish...

The next tournament will be anywhere in the state, not just certain rivers..Maybe I will go a little further in two weeks. Floats and 5' drops-sounds good.........

SECOND PLACE IS THE FIRST LOSER

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pop pop yes anyone can catch perch but to catch large perch on a regular basis is tough,since they are a fish that anyone can catch that makes it more challenging for a tournament.i am still deciding whether to fish the other tournament or not.the perch were caught in a little creek off of the mullica river in shallow water.louis

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Hey Louis..
been reading your posts, man you know how to put a hurtin on the perch. Can you catch them in any brackish river? I am a bit south of you and am thinking of trying in the Somers Point Area.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Patcong is loaded.... ;)

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Thanks fly.. how far up do you need to go before a fw license is necessary? What bait to use and what depths? What is the size/bag limit on perch?

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
No license needed on the 'cong downstream of Bargaintown Lake. It is technically brackish from just a little downstream of Poplar Ave up to the dam, about a mile or so of water. You can catch some pretty fiesty LMB's in that section. Perch travel all the way up to the dam, though, along with snapper blues and small stripers on high tides.

Back in the day I used to clean up on perch using either grass shrimp floated under a bobber, or small shiney panther martin/roostertail spinners. 25 perch is the current limit. Some tides worked better than others, but it depended on where you were fishing on the creek.

[ 05-01-2006, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ajbrono i have caught perch in just about every creek and river around,i prefer to use grass shrimp and minnows i do have a pet lure that i use for large perch ,there is no limit on perch unless you are fishing where you need a freshwater license.almost any tackle shop would have a pamphlet telling you those areas of freshwater dividing lines.try tuckahoe and great egg rivers lots of perch in them.vital signs nice to meet you hard to believe you lived around here and i never ran into you.nice shooting the breeze about how things used to be.

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Louis. Are they hard to catch? Figure it would be a nice trip for people who haven't fished before, if they are easy to catch. Will they hang around all summer? What is a good sized perch?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
perch are easy to catch the hardest part is locating them,in the river systems the perch run the rivers,sometimes your better off just sitting on a bank waiting for them to come by.1.5 perch on and average is 16 to 17 inches long.which is subject to change on egg filled females.a good size perch is whatever you want to clean.i personally throw back the large perch,I prefer eating the mediums around 10 to 12 inchers.louis

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ajbruno ,perch are here all the time they are resident fish,meaning they do not migrate.not like flounder blues or weakfish they can come here this summer and never return.perch mostly live there lives in the creek they were born in.which makes it tough when the nets are taking them with the eggs in them.you take the eggs you have nothing to come back too.thats how they killed delaware bay weakfish.net all you want after they spawn.not trying to get anyone mad. it's just how i feel about it,and it was not only the netters everyone took females with roe.louis

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.