BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Nacote man new member of BASS BARN . I have been reading all topics and info for the last few months and was impressed with local knowledge so decided to register and get in the mix for this upcoming season.I do alot of fishing in Great Bay and Mullica River and know alot of anglers are mainly focused the striped ones right now, but was wondering about some of the early spring habits of the White Perch know they spawn soon and have been trying different parts of river closer to the salt and thinking maybe its a bad move considering results, any thoughts.Not alot of results on either species since end of January need to get a FISH ON!.Tight lines.

[ 03-17-2006, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: nacote man ]

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Anybody catch perch in the Maurice river? Sorry I can't help you Nacote Man, but welcome aboard.

[ 03-17-2006, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Reel-ality ]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Louis you know me from fishing with Perch Head, I Fish out of a seventeen ft. center console and we were talking to you at the cove about a month and a half ago, we have been having a tough time of it lately with the perch but have also been doing some striper fishing with equaly negative results.Are you fishing today if so how did you do, and were you planning on fishing tomorow. Checked my creek very recently on both sides of low tide and not a touch wondering about maybe heading up river any thoughts?

[ 03-18-2006, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: nacote man ]

·
Registered
689 Posts
hey guy whats happening.went to bauers today there was a couple other people who were just leaving as i got there they said they never had a bite .first cast i made i caught fish and we continued catching til almost dark never stopped biting met another guy there he came over and joined us we caught white and yellow perch hybrids bluegills and crappiesgreat time .as far as the river have not been in the main river because of wind,was in nacote 2 weeks ago on low tide deep hole other side of bridge we did well no giants but decent fish.mostly i have been fishing that river near the other deep dugout hole right in front of buildings.some days are good some just a pick.fish are moving around alot tough to lock in on them still catching just have to run around.have you tried the stump field?there should be fish there have not been on that side of bridge in a while.Louis

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It,s Gittin Deep how ya doin bauers is a fun place ,great change of pace haven't been there in a while though, last time caught a dozen rainbows, 6lb. hybrid and one crappie must be alot of fish in there.Anyway not real familiar with the stump feild is that in my creek?I Do know about that low tide spot in my creek tried it at low tide a few days ago had good marks on the machine but no takers. Is there an eventual migration up river to spawn or can you always find fish east of parkway? Going to soak some worms tomorow for Bass and Perch, let you know how I did.Catch Em Up!If you know Perch Heads E Mail address we can clarify with specifics.I'm a little confused.

[ 03-18-2006, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: nacote man ]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reel-ality heard of a creek further up from maurice river can't give exact name here though but it's on the chart and it has the name of a human body part in the title appears on the chart to be a small creek but have heard of many different species of fish caught there including Bass and White Perch along with Tiderunner weakfish near the mouth very large Bass too closer to the mouth.Hope to take a trip from my home port here in Atlantic County to this creek in May.

[ 03-19-2006, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: nacote man ]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ChristyBM are we talking recently or is this general info I was out today and fished the bottom of the tide with some worms at G.P. then took a motor up to big creek but didn't go all the way up stopped short of the bridge. Water was very clean and seemed to me like it would be to salty for perch for any type of consistancy.Whats the best time of year to fish this creek?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Check it in the middle of the summer, have to work it, but not un-common to have 100 fish days, plus weakfish, stripers and even flounder, hell I have caught flounder drifting right behind peoples houses in some of the lagoons. Watch you depth 20 foot holes is the key. Atleast thats what I found. Good luck to you.

And I found the out-going tide to be best.

·
Banned
82 Posts
Hey Nacoteman, This time of year the best fishing will be from the lower bank bridge to the green bank bridge on the Mullica. Perch spawn in (mostly) freshwater and they usually gang up in this area. You'll get them all the way up at Basto and Pleasant Mills dams when your scooping for herring. Try the channel edges with bloodworms, grass shrimp and shedder crab if you have any. Just remember these are usually big spawners. Now if we could only get rid of the nets during spawning season.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Pinerat thanks for the comeback always trying to learn as much as possible about these critters. They offer alot of fun on light tackle when there's not a whole lot happening and they can be a challenge to find.I fish for them all year long and February and March are by far my toughest months. I know they spawn in that part of the river, but have never done much exploring past Ocean Yachts. Hard to beleive for somebody from Port Republic on Nacote Creek which is a tributary of the Mullica. Going to do some exploring up that way for the stripped ones and the white ones, that is when I get back from fishing in Florida on the 6th. Can't wait! I'M HOOKED ON PERCH!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Those nets take alot of perch especially the spawners I've seen it first hand 50lb. boxes stacked 5 high, makes ya sick it's a wonder there's any left.

·
Banned
82 Posts
They do take a lot of spawners. I have no problem with the netting of perch but to allow it during the spawning season makes no sense whatsoever. I asked one of the Biologist from Nacote creek one time about this and he stated that since white perch arent a major gamefish they really dont put a lot of though into it. Having a BS in Marine Bio myself, I though this was a pretty lousy answer.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Does anybody know if bridge fishing is still allowed on the river? I used to--back in the 1980's--but have not been down that way except for fishing in my Duranautic back in 1990 or so. A coworker who has a summer place in Tuckerton wants a place for some shorefishing with his kids. I thought the bridges would be decent spots, but don't know if it's allowed anymore. There was no problem back when I went, albeit a long time ago. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts