BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering where I could launch my kayak from Philthadelphia to get some stripes? Do they come up the Delaware past the Ben Franklin/ Walt Witman Bridge? Does anyone else fish from a yak on the Delaware? HELP!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dont fish from a yak but do know the fish go clear past trenton.Wouldn't catch me fishing from a yak in the delaware!

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
I caught a striper in Easton last year.
Jims right. That river will have its way with you if youre not careful.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
You can launch from Beach Hill in National Park and fish out around the island. You'll be safe in that area from freighters and tugs. The area is right across from the Navy Yard on the NJ side of the river. Just don't launch right were everyone is fishing or you'll have a yak full of rocks!!! ;)

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Stay away from the Trenton area with the kayak you'll get yourself killed, but I think a bit downriver you should be fine...the thing you'd have to watch out for most would be large ships going by and throwing those monster wakes around. You'd need to see that coming and have an escape plan.

How 'bout launching from Linden Ave. in NE Philly...the river isn't too wide there and you can find some great striper fishing at the mouth of the Rancocas Creek and Dredge Harbor (both just across from the ramp) as well as near the mouth of the Pennypack Creek just downriver from there. Bloodworms for now, but it won't be long before they'll take plugs and jigs. We used to hammer 'em pretty good trolling bombers along the shorelines there, although admittedly I haven't done that in a few years.

Good luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fly Fish,

I work in Camden and run along the river most afternoons. You can launch a kayak under the Ben Franklin on the Jersey side. I havn't done it yet (just been too busy & a little lazy) but it looks like a damn fine spot. I talked to a bunch of the local guys that fish along the walkway behind the aquarium. They pull cats fishing the bottom, and stripers if the bait stay off the bottom. If you want to put the idea to a test let me know & I'll yak with you.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I might well be interested in launching from the BFB, Joe. I will try to bring back the yak either this weekend or the following. Looks like the weather is looking up for us in the next week, so maybe they will start biting. I'll post again when I have my yak back in the area.
take care.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Try next to the Tacony-Palmeria brige on the Jersey side, there are stripers around the pilingds for the bridge.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I used to fish a 16' skiff and we would launch behind this bar in Burlington off Rt. 38 - don't remember exactly where - but we would hit a ton of shorts. Its a feeder creek that runs into the Delaware (under the NJ turnpike) and there are a few homes with ramps that backup to the water there - maybe someone else can fill in the rest.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
I used to put my 17' and 19'ers in at the beach in National park, across the river from the Navy yard and airport. Around the island there can be a good spot and can be "safe ground" if a big boat is coming. The mouth of the Skukyll is there too. Watch out for fast moving tugs! They throw a mean wake and almost swamed my 17' a few times at night. If you go about a mile south you'll hit Raccoon Creek. Its very calm and probably holds some fish, but I never tried for stripes there. I think they have a launch there too.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I live in Fishtown off of Delaware ave. I have a canoe but have "never" put it in the Delaware. Those currents are very strong. Just my two cents but stay away from the delaware. Try a lake instead.

·
Registered
46 Posts
esox1 is right out going tide too much for a kayak trust me respect the river,its no place for a small boat with out a motor,try the rancocas its great for what you wanna do

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i used to race laser sailboats (similar to sunfish, but much faster) in the river between the ben franklin and camden aquarium. those currents do tend to move a small boat pretty quickly, but i always had a great time. there were many days when the wind would die, and you would be at the mercy of the current. i think that a kayak could handle it, if you pay attention to your surroundings. make sure that you wear very bright colors so that the knuckleheads in the sea rays and bayliners that come flying thru can see you.

from time to time, i would see some fish breaking here and there, but i doubt that they were stripers. i always sailed there in the summer, and the water got pretty warm. i still can't believe the number of times that i've been underwater in the middle of the delaware river. i'm surprised that i don't have a third eye or something now.

anyway, the moral of this story is that if you use your head, you should be able to use a kayak in the river near the city. i would try further south (national park), or to the north, like some of the other guys have said.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Another suggestion is to launch from the Burlington City ranp. Stripers can be had around Burlington Island once they move further up river.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Fly Fish:
Have you considered the Schuylkill instead of the Delaware? There are definitely stripers in the river below Fairmount dam. There was an article last year on the PFBC web site, about an electro-shocking survey they did below the dam about this time last year which produced 20 stripers ranging from 26 to 36 inches, along with walleye, muskie and smallmouth bass. I imagine a few even make it up the fish ladder and into the river above the dam. Might be a better place for fishing from a kayak.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The absolute best place for you to launch a yak is in Ridley Park, south of philly. Its a ramp on Darby Creek and gives you acces to both the river and John Heinze Refuge. That way you have the best of both worlds and the both hold striper! Darby Creek feeds into the Delaware, so if its too rough, just turn around and shoot back into the refuge. John Heinz Refuge has miles of waterway that holds muskie, striper, largemouth as well as an assortment of birds and other wildlife. Even if you arent fishing (god forbid) you would have a great time exploring the waters. I would recommend bringing a camera. Eagles(including Bald), hawks, cranes, herons are some of the many birds that call this place home. The launch is at the end of S. Swathmore Ave in Ridley Park. Lauch fee is normally $10 weekday, $15 weekend/ holiday ($150 yearly pass). During summer months I'll see dozens of kayakers throughout the area. However, as mentioned above, the river is no place for a kayak. The ships that travel this area are indeed treacherous. "Paddle at your own risk".

[ 03-30-2004, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: Bassin' Large ]

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I wouldn't do it, the Bid D runs strong. If you do go out do it an hour or two before tide change that way when the tide takes you one way you can get back after the change. I'm sure it can be done in the spots mentioned just be careful. Carry flares and a pfd on you at all times(the law anyway)

Good luck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts