BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://inquirer.typepad.com/blinq/2008/03/big-fish.html

I know you come here for spirited discourse, but how about a picture of a big damn fish?
Yes.
Lance Butler an aquatic biologist with the Philadelphia Water Department, sent it to me after I was asking after the health of the Schuylkill River.
"We’ve had this major resurgence," he said. "It's loaded with different species. I can give you 45 different species of fishes we’ve surveyed from the Flat Rock Dam to the confluence of the Delaware."
So he e-mailed a shot of a big ol' striped bass they netted from the tidal waters just below the Fairmount Dam. Note the Waterworks in the background. That's a Center City fish. It weighed about 30 pounds.
The reason I was asking? A Comcast show called "City Limits" airs Friday on the Versus network in which championship angler Mike Iaconelli fishes the Schuylkill. He's done the the East River, the Potomac, The Chicago River. Here, he's got six hours to catch and release three large-mouth and two small-mouth bass as the camera rolls and the clock ticks.
If you are a YouTube fan or watch fishing on cable TV you might recognize the Philly-born Iaconelli, who moved to Runnemede, N.J., when he was five and has fished the Schuylkill for a quarter century. The videos have titles like "Never Give Up!" and "Never Leave the Boat!" He is an excitable boy. Think the Jim Cramer of anglers.
One such video begins with him screaming "Big one! Big One! Oh my God! This is a giant!" as he reels in a scrappy bass, a species he calls "a little ball of muscle." That particular catch won him the 2003 Bassmaster Classic on the Delta. He's a big fish himself.
In person he is much more low key. I met him along the Waterworks Tuesday afternoon as the sun was low over the expressway and a dozen or so young men in hoodies fished for catfish. Iaconelli was touting the virtues of urban fishing - how the remnants of the river's industrial past creates challenging nooks and crannies in which fish gather to feed or hide from predators like Iaconelli (pronounced Ike-o-nelli).
The challenge, he says, is picking among the 20 or casts he knows -- or make up new ones on the spot to sneak his bait next to the sewer outflows and bridge pilings and barge ties and entice a hungry fish.
Below us the noise from the young fishermen rises. Someone has a hooked a channel catfish, a two or three pounder. "These are city kids who love to fish, Iaconelli enthuses. "It's what I'm talking about. Look at his face. He's using a spinner rod. I went out on this river with a $50,000 speed boat that does 70 miles per hour. Here you've got kids with equipment that doesn't cost $50.
"Look at his tackle box. It's tagged with graffiti! That's urban fishing right there!"
So back to the big damed bass. A beautiful fish, but could you eat it?
Not so much, says Mike Kaufmann of the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission. The state has issued a health advisory for stripers pulled from the tidal portions of the Schuylkill River. The commission recommends that no one eat more than eight ounces of the fish. A month.
Which means that baby could safely feed a few dozen of your closest friends.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Go, I have actually caught the last 2 or 3 shows he has done. I caught the one from DC, NY and I think Sacremento. I was completely amazed while he was in the Est River with the NYC skyline behind him, he was pulling out some very nice Bluefish. I was cracking up, here he is with a bass rod and this Bluefish was kicking his a$$ all around the place.

He get s the thing in the boat and the guide that he was with tells him, " what are doing putting your hands near that things mouth? That aint no bass, that Bluefish will take your finger off!" The look on his face was priceless!!

It is a really neat show, but I haven't caught the Philly show yet and wonder if it has aired yet?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Set the Hook said:
Go, I have actually caught the last 2 or 3 shows he has done. I caught the one from DC, NY and I think Sacremento. I was completely amazed while he was in the Est River with the NYC skyline behind him, he was pulling out some very nice Bluefish. I was cracking up, here he is with a bass rod and this Bluefish was kicking his a$$ all around the place.

He get s the thing in the boat and the guide that he was with tells him, " what are doing putting your hands near that things mouth? That aint no bass, that Bluefish will take your finger off!" The look on his face was priceless!!

It is a really neat show, but I haven't caught the Philly show yet and wonder if it has aired yet?

I saw that episode. He was holding the blues between his leggs as he pulled them out the water to remove the hook. I was waiting for him to share one of those trebels with the fish the hard way.

·
Banned
4,201 Posts
Great shows....specially the one in NY / Raritan, I was ready to see him lip a blue. :D Man he sucks in the salt though.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
YEa, the bluefish episode with Capt. Joe Mattioli was hilarious! We actually joke about it when I saw him at the Somerset Show :p

btw, I've seen that striper pic on here before...I believe it was shocked and netted in 2005

·
Registered
445 Posts
Funny thing about the City Limits show is the fact that every time Philly was scheduled to air they ran a rerun. Anyone else looking for Philly catch that?

·
Registered
190 Posts
That picture is a few years old...and..I have never seen an advisory about eating stripers from the tidal Skuke....fish that big is coming from the ocean to spawn

·
Registered
576 Posts
To ans. BiggestJack,Strippers above dam?

You can bet your "slice of pie" there is ! My son and I have caught them as far up as Flat Rock Dam. there is a thread about The Schuylkill fish ladder in the Striped Bass forum. You might be surprized what can live in this river. As far as eating anything from it I think I would haft to go way up stream . At night we used to sit on the bank and when it got real dark you could sometimes see the fish glow.:D

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
JerseyBrian said:
YEa, the bluefish episode with Capt. Joe Mattioli was hilarious! We actually joke about it when I saw him at the Somerset Show :p

btw, I've seen that striper pic on here before...I believe it was shocked and netted in 2005
Hey Bri,
I met Capt. Joe at the Somerset show too. He was a nice chap. Boy they get some nice ones up there. Ya gotta love IKE....local boy made it big... Fantastic!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
GREGK said:
Fairmount park has a live (but has been dead since 10/07)web cam of their fish ladder at the water works on the schuylkill (near art museum) and have watched for years.hope funding is enough to repair cam.mark it on your fav's and keep trying who knows?

http://www.fairmountwaterworks.org/sony/webcam_rotate.php?time=76039fae99c91aff4b1833e76b1700ad:eek:

sorry i think this is were you should start:eek:

http://www.fairmountwaterworks.org/fishcam.php#:D

it will be back on air in a few more weeks, usually around the tail end of April do they start it back up. Same thing with VA, they have a live cam as well. At Boshers Dam.....its actually online now.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/shadcam/

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I know some guys that catch stripers all spring and into the summer at the Art Museam. I tried my luck but there are knats and bums...both will mug you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts