BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going thru my tackle bag last night and found a few pink poppers. I mostly fish poppers at night along dark sodbanks and have success with a black popper. Is pink a good color for the dark, or should I paint them black?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Haven't really used any pink topwaters, but have caught plenty on pink plugs and plastics within a couple inches of the surface. Don't see any reason it shouldn't work. I like to use pink NEAR the lights....no quite in them. usually I'll use white in the lights, pinnk inside the shadowlines, and black or blue for the darker water.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Daytime, in my opinion, though (as has been mentioned) poppers aren't particularly color-dependent like other artificials. At night, I like to use something that will create a shadow and contrast with either bridge lights of the natural moonlight. So I usually grab something dark.

I've never had a ton of luck with pink artificials at night. Thinking back, they seem to work best early in the morning, at least as far as a soft plastic like Fin-S goes. I really don't try to overthink fishing with poppers, though. I actually somewhat ignore the color and focus more on the motion and how it reacts to reeling it in and jerking it across the surface. I'm also not a huge fan of the "big name" brands when it comes to poppers.The "lower budget" ones seem to work best for me. :huh:

I also use poppers primarily for having fun with bluefish than for serious night bass fishing. I've had more success using softer plastics like Storm shads and such at night.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The two pink wooden poppers have been scuffed up, painted gloss black, and are hanging to dry. Just from reading this and other posts, it seems like black is the standard for night. Thanks, guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.