BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant use a smoker where we live.
We had an old timer that used to smoke mackerel for the price of half the fish, this old timer was great and it tasted like smoked ham.
He is long gone and we need a new smoker person.
Anyone use anyone that has them come out tasting like that?
Or at least smokes other fish really well for a fair price?
In can be anywhere from Belmar back to Pa.
thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dont live near you but i recently just purchased one. Cant wait to start smoking my catch. My uncle has smoked a bunch of my fish for me in his. Hope to smoke blues, bass, sword, shark and anything else i can get to bite a hook. Ill also be smoking some store bought chicken and beef but am definately excited to smoke my catch and share it with others.

Not trying to steal the thread but anyone smoke tuna?

Might be worth your while to find a bbq friendly park and pick up a smoker. I just got a weber smokey mountain. From all the reviews I read it seems to be worth the price. Every electric smoker in that range was more money and doesnt perform the way this one does.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies
Found an old timer butcher shop he will smoke them for splitting them, good deal imho

If anyone else ever had them smoked I cant remember if its better to prep them filleted or gutted whole with heads seems to be the way most do it but seen both in posts???

Good weather window Sun-Tues up north, they been slamming them good out of Belmar for anyone interested.

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
Thanks for the replies
Found an old timer butcher shop he will smoke them for splitting them, good deal imho

If anyone else ever had them smoked I cant remember if its better to prep them filleted or gutted whole with heads seems to be the way most do it but seen both in posts???

Good weather window Sun-Tues up north, they been slamming them good out of Belmar for anyone interested.
If its a soft fleshed fish like ling I prefer to do them whole, w/o the head. The only reason I take the heads off is it opens up room on the rack for a couple more fish.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Don't do it!! Tuna just dries out.

Re: Not trying to steal the thread but anyone smoke tuna?

The long/low temp is totally opposite from what tuna needs for good results. Every type of Tuna I tried simply went to hell.

Go with your Blackfish, Seabass. Cod, Fluke... etc. Tile is really nice.
I smoke fish all of the time...Charcoal, Brinkman type bullet smokers. They practically run themselves @ 190 to 200° F for 2 hrs. The tricky part is how concentrated / how long to brine. It's all a trial and error balance: Thinner fillets= go shorter brine time & less salty. Frozen & thawed fillet's = go shorter & less salty.

Be sure to air dry after the brine on the racks to get the sticky "pellicle" coating.

The worst(?) part is how damn drunk you get sipping beer while tending the smokers. :thumbsup:

Keep the smoked fillet's DRY! Wrapped in paper towels to keep them from touching the ziplock bags since the condensation will promote spoiling.

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
Dont live near you but i recently just purchased one. Cant wait to start smoking my catch. My uncle has smoked a bunch of my fish for me in his. Hope to smoke blues, bass, sword, shark and anything else i can get to bite a hook. Ill also be smoking some store bought chicken and beef but am definately excited to smoke my catch and share it with others.

Not trying to steal the thread but anyone smoke tuna?

Might be worth your while to find a bbq friendly park and pick up a smoker. I just got a weber smokey mountain. From all the reviews I read it seems to be worth the price. Every electric smoker in that range was more money and doesnt perform the way this one does.
Tuna bellies turned out great.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Smoked Fish

Some good posts, ty guys

This case was mostly started on smoking macks but brought up some good responses.
Will be skipping smoking tuna for now Phil but any oily fish smoking has options as you mention, and sound real good.

Good thinking on the whole fish smoking of soft fish there Loop/John, makes sense...

Myself I will make it a point to watch the brine, gotta watch the salt myself these days.

Good tips there Dead, fillets might just loose more of that fat/oil deal when smoked...

Guess I will just have to speriment and sip some beers like suggested, :p
hope to remember enuff to post a, "how it turned out" followup.

Looks like the Macks are running strong out of the north for at least a few more days and got a weather window least till Tuesday, will see.

At least get some smoked, the rest I will salt fillets and have some shark and early season fluke doormat strips.

Tanks again guys, watch that cabin fever. :nuts:

·
Registered
949 Posts
I smoked tuna just the other day and thought it turned out really good. It was not dry at all. Did tuna and triggerfish with a tog fillet or two for good measure. I used a salmon brine to start but I am excited to try a citrus brine next! To each there own I guess.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Been smoking fish for a long time! I catch a lot of small spring run blues and they come out great. When vacuum packed and frozen, I have eaten them after two years and they taste as good as the day I smoked them! I also use a low salt brine on fillets. A heavier salted brine will keep them longer if you want to keep them in the frig for a month. I brine over night and rinse lightly before smoking. Add a little orange juice to your brine for a little sweeter taste. Striped bass are awesome smoked.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I smoked a bunch of fresh yellowfin last summer. Prep it right (brine, season, then air dry before putting it on the heat). It was a lot of work, but it turned out incredible. I could have sold this stuff for big money at a gourmet store. Now I just hope I can replicate it.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Use MORE sugar than salt, I have been smoking for about 5 years now and I get much better results this way.
If you do a search on the DB or tackle box for smoking I left a process there.
It is a science, trial and error, but I can`t think of a better way to kill a Sunday or a half of a case.:D
Hope your new guy works out.

·
Registered
747 Posts
then air dry before putting it on the heat
Good point and super important. Dry meats can take the smoke much better than wet. Down here (Fl) we smoke a lot of macs...kings, ceros, etc. Makes the best fish dip. Something about the oily fish absorbing the flavor. Here's mine (okay, I copied it from another site, but it's tried and excellent!):

6 cups water
1/2 cup salt
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp black pepper
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown suger
2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.