BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planer board question? Who makes their own, Who buys them? I do most of my striper trolling from a friends boat and charter a couple times a year, but I would like to have a set for my boat. We only take my boat out when it is nice, it is only an 18 ft Lowe, we had some success trolling 4 or 5 rods last year without planers, but I know getting more rods out means more chances of getting bit.

I just ordered a couple tandem rigs and some shad bodies to get ready for the season. Just a month and a half away!

· Registered
319 Posts
I have never used planer boards but I figured I'd hop on with another question.

Is the true benefit of planer boards more rods or running your lines outside of the prop wash?

· Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never used planer boards but I figured I'd hop on with another question.

Is the true benefit of planer boards more rods or running your lines outside of the prop wash?

Both really, it gets them away from the boat, and helps get more lines out.

For stripers I have found more lines is better, some days they are all over the planers, others they hit the rods right off the boat more.

Planers are used a lot in the Great Lakes for Walleyes and Brown Trout to get the baits away from the boat

· Registered
429 Posts
It also gets your bait higher in the water column. In the spring when the sun heats the surface water, the bait fish tend to go on the surface. Planer boards allow your bait to be high in the water column and away from the boat.

I typically pull a 13 rod spread with 100' of planer board line. The vast majority of fish come off my planer lines. If I had to troll only 4 lines, 3 of them would be off planerboards. (other would be a deep umbrella)

· Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It also gets your bait higher in the water column. In the spring when the sun heats the surface water, the bait fish tend to go on the surface. Planer boards allow your bait to be high in the water column and away from the boat.

I typically pull a 13 rod spread with 100' of planer board line. The vast majority of fish come off my planer lines. If I had to troll only 4 lines, 3 of them would be off planerboards. (other would be a deep umbrella)
Where did you get your planer boards, or did you make them?

· Registered
1,073 Posts
Experience Shared

I have a set I bought, maybe 8 " high by 16 " long, double board connected by aluminum rods about 8 " long. They work well and do not tip, unless it is a little rough.
I also made a few sets, copied the originals but the ones I made to perfect scale just do not work as well. The original ones are weighted in the bottom of the board runners.
I first used them in the great lakes, for trolling for brown trout in the spring and also caught salmon and steelhead on them
If you ever see the aerial video's of how the trout move away from the boat as it approaches and then circle around to their somewhat original spot, you can see why planers do so well for trolling in the spring in shallow water, for trout and salmon.
I troll a lot for stripers and use down riggers routinely, as the stripers seem to be deeper in my opinion. When I troll stripers, I am usually in 30 plus ft of water and troll my lures within 5 to 10 ft of the bottom.
I have trolled 3 rods on each planer, once you get the system down on how to stack them and replace them after you get a fish, it is a blast. Your furthest out rod should be run the longest distance back, so when you get a fish he can run to the back of the other lures as you keep the motor in gear and bring him in right up behind the boat, between the two closest lures that you are dragging. You then need to adjust the set back distance on the other ones , so that as you add a new one to the inside position, it is the shortest back and the outside rod needs to be lenghtened to be the furthest back.
So ! I would guess the boards would help for trolling in salt but I used them in the GL, due to the se shore of lake ontario is usually where the bait gathers in the spring and that is why the brown trout congregate in the se section of the lake, it warms first and can get some good concentrations in spring, where it is fairly shallow and the planners drag the lure past fish that move away from the boat or stay outside of your normally trolled lures.
Hope that helps BFJ

· Registered
1,073 Posts
Mast

As you probably know, you want the mast positioned near the bow but it depends on the type of boat you have to say where exactly. If you sat in the seat infront of the cc console, you could reach the line easily, or is the capt, walked to the side of the cc console, he could reach the planner line.
When I fished Lake Ontario, I was in a open skiff, and the mast was in center boat about 3.5 ft in front of console. I have seen them in rod holders at the rear of the front deck on cc type boats, again centered.
I took a really stiff boat rod and put a rod holder in boat center, the rod had a reel on each side and double guides, you do not need to reel in and out too often, once you learn how to stack and add new rods to the spread. On my skiff, I could do it with one centered but you may have to put one on each side to get the right position for handling them.

· Registered
429 Posts
Where did you get your planer boards, or did you make them?
They sell the ones i have at AllTackle.

http://www.alltackle.com/planer_board_fishing.htm

Those little planerboards above wont work on the bay as we troll big baits on the bay. Also rough water will flip small boards. Triple board planer boards will pull through just about anything.

I pull 100' of planer line and connect mine to the hard top. A friend of mine connects to his forward cleats and they work fine. It is just harder to see the clips when they are pulling in the water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.