BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i've been scouring every b&t shop and fishing tackle catolog in my possesion for soft plastic lures that imitate baby fluke- i remeber seeing them somewhere years ago but can't recall where- I would really like to get ahold of some for the upcoming season- any hints would be appreciated -thanks :D

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
I BELIEVE ON A MUG SHOW IN THE LATE SPRING A TACKLE TIP GIVEN BY A SPONSER, THE ANGLER MAG.
I THINK DARREN DARRUS GAVE IT.HE GLUED TWO SOFT LURES TOGETHER AND IT LOOKED LIKE A FLOUNDER.THERE SHOULD BE SOMEONE WHO USES THIS TYPE OF LURE WHO REMEMBERS.MAYBE THE MAN HIMSELF OR THE BOSS ANGLER BILL D.

[ 01-05-2004, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: BIGGESTJACK ]

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Made my own a few years ago.

Craft shop had some kind of clay that you baked to harden. Made a small flounder about four inches long.

When it was hard I took a small container and filled it halfway with plaster. I then took the clay flounder and coated it with oil and pushed it upside down into the plaster. After a few minutes I removed the clay flounder and had a great mold of the flounder.

Sent away to a tackle craft company and ordered a few bottles of their plastic worm liquid and some color additives.

Had to bring the stuff to a boil then add the right color. Before I was ready to pour I had taken some of the liquid and made it white. Stuck a paintbrush in and then flicked it onto a sheet of foil. Gave me lots of different size white dots that pealed right off.

Placed the white dots in the mold and mixed brown color in with the plastic. Poured this into the mold over top of the white dots.

A few minutes later I came up with a very good looking plastic flounder with mouth, eyes and white spots.

Made about a dozen and had some real good catches. Only one problem. The crabs loved them almost as much as the bluefish. Went through the dozen so fast that it just wasn't worth the effort.

I have also seen imitation flounder for sale a few years ago. What I remember was thinking that it was a waste of effort when I made them and the price of the ones for sale made it to expensive to feed to the crabs and bluefish.

For the fish I caught using the baby flounder I did just as well using a larger bucktail tipped with a minnow or strip bait. A bucktail is much easier to use and they hold up much longer than anything plastic.

Just my opinion but I shy away from expensive plastic. There are just too many toothed and clawed critters that don't understand how money works. I have two daughters for that. :D

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Steve Petri 631-842-1485 Petri Fish lure.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I believe the company who makes an artificial baby flounder is called the Petri-Fish Tackle Company.

You can also take two small rubber shads and super glue or heat them back to back and you have what looks and swims like a baby flounder.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Flukerat,
Here is the easiest way I have found, and they work very well!!!
take 2 traditional rubber shad, not the storms or panther martin ones, the ones without the hooks, hit the tops, or dorsal flat sides with super glue or nail glue all the way from head to tail, then hold them together to let them dry. use the traditional lead jig head, and thread the shads on horizontally. hit the lead of the jighead with some glue as well to keep the shads from slipping down.
I like the 4 inch models, but the 6 inch ones have produced. I have not used the 12"ers YET....
good luck and if I can help let me know.
NJANGLERDARREN

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Hey Darren, Wheres Lanoka Harbor? Welcome to the Barn.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hip, can you say Mapquest? lol...
Above Barneghetto (Barnegate).
Below Toms River.
Exit 77(or about) on the GS Prkwy.

Beleive it or not there is a whole other world outside Vineland.
Hard to believe but true.

Come on March 1st. I'm already resorting to bustin on Hip!

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Bruce, I didnt care enough to use another website and do a search ;) No offense Darrin :D

Shouldnt you be killing something??? How did you make out hunting this year??

·
Registered
5,585 Posts

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Originally posted by DaveS:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Fly Ty R:
You mean one of these???? :D

Morin Flounder Fly
And if you noticed in his bio he's only been tying for two years. I've seen some of his other works on other boards and he is an amazing tier. Goes by the name Striblue. </font>[/QUOTE]Dave, He is a tying psycho isnt he? Great stuff.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Originally posted by flukerat:
hey guys i've been scouring every b&t shop and fishing tackle catolog in my possesion for soft plastic lures that imitate baby fluke- i remeber seeing them somewhere years ago but can't recall where- I would really like to get ahold of some for the upcoming season- any hints would be appreciated -thanks :D
I say them at the Miss Chris shop a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Originally posted by hipkvw:
Bruce, I didnt care enough to use another website and do a search ;) No offense Darrin :D

Shouldnt you be killing something??? How did you make out hunting this year??
No sweat! I'm just bored. Too wet to hunt with Black Powder today. So far this year I got 2 11's in New York & a 10 in Jersey Muzzleloader. I also hit a six pointer with the club that 2 of us shot at the same time. that poor SOB got hit on both sides at the same time.

BTW I should mention that they were not 11 & 10 pointer's but they had 11's a a 10 on thier head. (2 spikes and a 1 horned spike).

Only a few days left to fill my freezer. I had to give one deer to my farmer who let's me hunt & the we had the NY deer at a party at the club.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Darren,

I keep my boat at Laurel Harbour Marina in Lanoka Harbor...I'm from Bayville.....

19ft Kencraft Challenger...

Scarface

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks guys i think i'll pick up a few and also try and make a few of my own by gluing the shads together - i can always expect more than one option from you guys that's why the bb is the best

1 - 19 of 19 Posts