BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello freshwater guy's here at the Barn.I just recently learned about this and wanted to pass it on to you.I was watching Larry Dahlberg over the Holidays and he did a show from the Clinch River System in Tennessee.This trophy fishery is being destroyed due to a lack of regulations in regards to live bait fishing in the cold water months.From what I gathered folks are fishing live trout on single hooks and gut hooking allot of these larger fish.The mortality rate is a staggering 90%At the rate their going this fishery could be destroyed in a matter of years.A request was made to all concerned fisherman to send an e-mail to the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency at Twra.comment at tn.com (use @ instead of at)

Please this will only take a moment of your time and it could save a fishery!For more information go to Larry's site or check out tnmuskies dot org.(use a . instead of the word dot)If the mods see fit to erase this just email me and I will give you a link for more information.
Here is the letter I sent you can send your own but this one will work great.

Dear Sirs,
As a fisherman and supporter of our fragile environment, I applaud you on the Musky fishery you have created in the Clinch River system on the Melton Hill Reservoir .I understand that a fishery such as this needs constant attention and control with live bait restrictions, artificial only fishing, hook restrictions, and catch and release rules. The 50” size limit is something which helps the survival of the species.
With this said in the cold water months an artificial only season would ensure the future of this fishery, cutting the high mortality rate of this dominant predator from the high level (90%) I understand it is at now due to bait fishing, to an acceptable level which who knows in future could create a world class fishery in your own back yard. Please consider this as a way to ensure the continued success of this fishery both for the fisherman the fish, and the local economy.
As a fisherman who looks for the opportunity to travel and fish for dominant species such as Musky a move in this direction would in my opinion cause an influx of tourism to your state. I would think that the changes to your regulations to protect this species would benefit the economy of your state, the local area around these waters, and your own coffers through increased license sales.
Respectfully,

Thank You Happy New Year!!
FC

·
Registered
822 Posts
I sent it.

I commend you for posting this as I feel that live bait fishing for muskies is okay if you are employing fast setting rigs like the quick strike or Herbie method. However, I do not feel that targeting muskies in the winter months is very sporting. The fish are more concentrated and are easier to catch therefore making them vulnerable to overfishing. Anyone who is proud of catching a musky through the ice with regularity should try to catch that fish when the fish has a fighting chance during its peak period, spring or fall. Dropping a lure or bait in front of a fish that is mostly dormant and forcing it to eat based on survival instinct is not a true sportsman, in my opinion. Like shooting fish in a barrel.....big thumbs down.

Leave them alone in the winter!

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sent it.

I commend you for posting this as I feel that live bait fishing for muskies is okay if you are employing fast setting rigs like the quick strike or Herbie method. However, I do not feel that targeting muskies in the winter months is very sporting. The fish are more concentrated and are easier to catch therefore making them vulnerable to overfishing. Anyone who is proud of catching a musky through the ice with regularity should try to catch that fish when the fish has a fighting chance during its peak period, spring or fall. Dropping a lure or bait in front of a fish that is mostly dormant and forcing it to eat based on survival instinct is not a true sportsman, in my opinion. Like shooting fish in a barrel.....big thumbs down.

Thanks Dave!!!

FC

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it looks like Dave is the only one to reply.I wanna thank you again Dave and I hope that others have sent an email.Please post up and let me know your thoughts.Tell me I'm crazy,stupid,and an idiot for caring about a fishery I don't use.I'll take anything just send an email.

Thanks,
FC :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think it's awesome that you're supporting these fish. I would love just to catch ONE. They deserve the best and respect by all anglers. I wish there was an abundance of Muskies where I'm from. They're awesome predators. It always irks me to see people mistreat these fish, when there are people out there dying to chase after them and treat them properly. People keep them out of the water too long, lay them on the ice, bring them home, etc. And any lake that has a decent abundance of these fish gets pressured.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't know about making an artificial only regulation. Quick strike rigs prevent mortality when an educated person uses them correctly. The squeeky wheel gets the grease hope their fishery problems are satisfied.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I think it's awesome that you're supporting these fish. I would love just to catch ONE. They deserve the best and respect by all anglers. I wish there was an abundance of Muskies where I'm from. They're awesome predators. It always irks me to see people mistreat these fish, when there are people out there dying to chase after them and treat them properly. People keep them out of the water too long, lay them on the ice, bring them home, etc. And any lake that has a decent abundance of these fish gets pressured.
Anyone that has an interest in learning how to catch muskies in this area should join Muskies Inc. For $35/year you get a network of other fishermen that will point you in the right direction. Chapter 50 is the southeastern PA chapter and Chapter 22 (the one that I belong to) is the NJ constituent. In these parts NJ has the better fishery at this time. There is also Musky School where the chapters charge a fee for you to sit in a seminar and fish with a "guide" for the day. You learn to musky fish from someone that is already doing it....and you learn it right. All of the proceeds go to the NJ fish and Game to he raise more muskies! Lunch is provided as well. It's the best way to learn, for sure.

I got my student a fish last year. A decent 38 incher.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I don't know about making an artificial only regulation. Quick strike rigs prevent mortality when an educated person uses them correctly. The squeeky wheel gets the grease hope their fishery problems are satisfied.
Quick strike rigs kill fish. Muskies inhale a bait so fast that they are almost always deep unless your bait is huge.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
I sent it.

I just watched a show that was about ice fishing for northern pike. I was surprised by the little dinky rods they were using. What was more surprising was how little fight these 40" plus pike were offering. They barely were able to pull any drag if at all. I have to agree with Dave C and say this seems to be very unsporting and if the fish has no energy to fight, then how much energy could it have to try to revive itself to the point that it can survive to fight another day. Dead weight at best.

·
Registered
8,528 Posts
the mag. musky hunter would run articles on mortality rates all the time, not just gut-hooked fish but also fish which are caught on light tackle and released lifeless :thumbsdown:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.