BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duck hunting season is now open in NJ and while most hunters will be in the back bays and creeks there are a few of us that hunt seaducks in the Ocean and Delaware bay. Yesterday I was hunting the Ocean a few miles outside Little Egg Inlet when a fishing boat running offshore just missed running into my decoys by about 10 feet, while we were picking up a duck about 30 yards from the decoys. This is a spread of about 50 decoys that is not hard to see if you are paying attention. 2 years ago while hunting the Delaware Bay at a location away from all the fisherman I had a boat that did run into the decoys and make a mess of things as well as tangle up his prop. These decoys are daisy chained together with 1/4 inch line that is only 1 foot below the surface so you can imagine the tangled mess we can both end up with. I know hunters/decoys are an unusual thing to encounter out there but I would just like for more boaters to be aware of the possibility.

Thanks, Diver-Down

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Thanks for the reminder Diver Down.
It very important that all outdoorsmen share and respect eachother out on the water...

Good Luck This Season...

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Yes, thanks for the reminder.

For those who fish behind CISP or around Risley's please keep an eye out for decoys and give folks in the duckboats a wide berth. I came around the bend in a creek behind CISP Frdiay evening and was face to face with a guy in a boat and with a spread out. I apologized and he was cool about it. Thankfully, it was about 15 minutes after shooting hours were done.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
What are the shooting hours?

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
I think shooting hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise and 1/2 hour after sundown.

Yeh, I heard alot of shots Saturday morning. At one point I heard close to a dozen blast coming from the northside of the Longport causeway. Sounded like Daffy and pals flew right into an ambush.

·
Registered
83,119 Posts
I agree and support your points. My experience this weekend was funny as hell. When flying up the flat behind SH I spooked some ducks into flight. As I made the turn north of SH 2 guys let loose and dropped 3 birds less than 100 yards from me. I almost craped myself:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.