BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear Fishing Brethren ~

Well, curiosity has the best of me-and I was told by the chief in charge of Loran in Washington DC, that at exactly 1500 hours on February 8th our beloved Loran was going down forever.

That got me thinking--Does that mean at exactly 1500 hours, better known as 3 PM that the screen will go blank?-Or possibly will it just blink for a while before it completely dies like my uncle Louie, or will it immediately croak??
What are the options here??
Will a big picture of Nancy Pelosi show up on the screen instead??-Or possibly Karl Rove?
Or will it be a Budweiser ad or an ad for McDonald's to help subsidize our national debt?
I am not sure--I am not sure??

I think we should all have a big going-away-party for our wonderful Loran.
Yes, rent the top of the Waldorf-Astoria and have a big Loran extravaganza- Yes, fill the place up with Lorans , have them all turned on at exactly 2:59 PM on February 8th--and wait for the 3 PM demise of our wonderful guiding light for all of these years, yes, the magic of Loran C!!!

But then again, maybe I will just have a couple of guys over at my house-and watch the demise over a pizza.
Yes, there is a sadness to me over this-but I guess that is the way of the world.
However, whenever the passing of someone great occurs, oftentimes a eulogy is in order.
Therefore, as being the unofficial Mayor of the Hudson Canyon for many years- I will take on the responsibility of saying goodbye to our beloved Loran.

My condolences-my condolences---my condolences.. Mike-DESIRE

Ode to the Guiding Light of Our Directional Mishaps

Gosh I'll miss those Loran numbers great,
on every exciting fishing trip offshore.
On every wreck, with my strip clams of bait,
dreams of 50 pound cod fish, and so much more!

Beautiful were the Canyon days at 100 square,
Yellow-fin and Big Eyes to our heart's delight.
Every fishing trip with dreams beyond compare,
lasting from the early morning’s sunrise, all through the night.

Only fading memories now are the Bacardi at 308/308.
rest in peace my tile fishing at the West wall 090 line.
A wonderful system called Loran has finally met its fate,
now GPS has taken its place, but for my old Loran, my heart does pine!

G osh I'll miss those Loran numbers great,
O n every exciting fishing trip offshore.
O n every wreck, with my strip clams of bait,
D reams of 50 pound cod fish, and so much more!
B eautiful were the Canyon days at 100 square,
Y ellow-fin and Big Eyes to our heart's delight.
E very fishing trip with dreams beyond compare,

L asting from the early morning’s sunrise, all through the night
O nly fading memories now are the Bacardi at 308/308
R est in peace my tile fishing at the West wall 090 line.
N ow GPS has taken its place, but for my old Loran, my heart does pine!

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
Dear Fishing Brethren ~

Well, curiosity has the best of me-and I was told by the chief in charge of Loran in Washington DC, that at exactly 1500 hours on February 8th our beloved Loran was going down forever.

That got me thinking--Does that mean at exactly 1500 hours, better known as 3 PM that the screen will go blank?-Or possibly will it just blink for a while before it completely dies like my uncle Louie, or will it immediately croak??
What are the options here??
Will a big picture of Nancy Pelosi show up on the screen instead??-Or possibly Karl Rove?
Or will it be a Budweiser ad or an ad for McDonald's to help subsidize our national debt?
I am not sure--I am not sure??

I think we should all have a big going-away-party for our wonderful Loran.
Yes, rent the top of the Waldorf-Astoria and have a big Loran extravaganza- Yes, fill the place up with Lorans , have them all turned on at exactly 2:59 PM on February 8th--and wait for the 3 PM demise of our wonderful guiding light for all of these years, yes, the magic of Loran C!!!

But then again, maybe I will just have a couple of guys over at my house-and watch the demise over a pizza.
Yes, there is a sadness to me over this-but I guess that is the way of the world.
However, whenever the passing of someone great occurs, oftentimes a eulogy is in order.
Therefore, as being the unofficial Mayor of the Hudson Canyon for many years- I will take on the responsibility of saying goodbye to our beloved Loran.

My condolences-my condolences---my condolences……………. Mike-DESIRE

Gosh I'll miss those Loran numbers great,
on every exciting fishing trip offshore.
On every wreck, with my strip clams of bait,
dreams of 50 pound cod fish, and so much more!

Beautiful were the Canyon days at 100 square,
Yellow-fin and Big Eyes to our heart's delight.
Every fishing trip with dreams beyond compare,
lasting from the early morning’s sunrise, all through the night.

Only fading memories now are the Bacardi at 308/308.
rest in peace my tile fishing at the West wall 090 line.
now GPS has taken its place,..... but for my old Loran, my heart does pine!

G osh I'll miss those Loran numbers great,
O n every exciting fishing trip offshore.
O n every wreck, with my strip clams of bait,
D reams of 50 pound cod fish, and so much more!
B eautiful were the Canyon days at 100 square,
Y ellow-fin and Big Eyes to our heart's delight.
E very fishing trip with dreams beyond compare,

L asting from the early morning’s sunrise, all through the night
O nly fading memories now are the Bacardi at 308/308
R est in peace my tile fishing at the West wall 090 line.
N ow GPS has taken its place,..... but for my old Loran, my heart does pine!

You sir are a poet, hope you know it. :eek:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your kind words Philjam ~

The tragedy has happened at 1500 hrs., 3 PM on February 8th. The heart stopped beating, the pulse went dead- Loran is gone!

Like a dying relative, I had to be at the deathbed at the moment of transition.
I went out to my boat at 2:30 PM-to watch the final moments of life of a dearly beloved friend that has been so important to me for so many years. Woven into those numbers is the soul of John Demeno, the magic of Jon Festa, and the memories of so many great fishermen who came before us and have gone to Loran numbers which live in the mystery of the great beyond.

At about 2:50 PM the 2600 line disappeared-The nerve of this government with all of the taxes we pay that in the last moments of a 3 PM promised departure, they took away my dearly beloved 2600 line 10 minutes early, not giving me the decency of the last 10 minutes to say my full departing goodbyes.
Up fighting for its life automatically came the 1400 line-defiantly full of life, trying to take over as a slave in the bold attempt to try to keep life into the Loran system protecting the legend and memory of its brother 2600. Defiantly fighting to keep the family together. Kind of like when you go close to a lobster pot at the Canyon and those Mahi’s, small as they are, start attacking your boat in defense of their turf.
But alas, before too long the magical 1400 line, home of The Fish Tales and Atlantis canyons also was slaughtered.
Yes, now it was only the 4300 line, as the 5900 also disappeared as well when I looked for it, and now it was only the 4300 line holding on for dear life of the Loran system, searching on its own, hanging on for dear life. It was 3:15 PM and in defiance of the entire Government of the United States of America the 4300 line said for all to hear "Don't Tread on Me!"

And finally, yes finally-like a beautiful Big-Eye tuna making its last death spirals around the boat before it's date with the destiny of death, the 4300 line fell as well. Alas, the last SEARCH line of defense, the last in the lineage of the 9960 Loran family slaves went to sleep forever.
LIVE, LIVE Loran !But it was not to be- Yes, at about 3:30 PM February 8th, 2010 the last life of the great Loran system, the magical 4300 line fell victim to the massive onslaught of GPS technology.
Can you imagine a government, the greatest power in the history of the world-cannot find enough money to keep a duplicate LOng Range Aid to Navigation system running?

When one thinks of the national debt, all the money that has been spent and wasted, much of it lining the pockets of Wall Street money manipulators who have drained our country, massive perks for politicians, and we cannot find enough money to keep some Loran towers going?
Well, one must go with the flow they say-but there is something about this flow that has me thinking the flow of the river of our beloved country is heading towards a cesspool. Sorry for my cynicism- Please understand, I just lost a dear friend.

Enough said, I must lay a wreath on the dearly departed and my dearly beloved Loran.

Thank you for letting me work out my psychoses on all of you-- but there is also much truth as well in the above story of Loran.

Mike-DESIRE

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Thank you for your kind words Philjam ~

The tragedy has happened at 1500 hrs., 3 PM on February 8th. The heart stopped beating, the pulse went dead- Loran is gone!

Like a dying relative, I had to be at the deathbed at the moment of transition.
I went out to my boat at 2:30 PM-to watch the final moments of life of a dearly beloved friend that has been so important to me for so many years. Woven into those numbers is the soul of John Demeno, the magic of Jon Festa, and the memories of so many great fishermen who came before us and have gone to Loran numbers which live in the mystery of the great beyond.

At about 2:50 PM the 2600 line disappeared-The nerve of this government with all of the taxes we pay that in the last moments of a 3 PM promised departure, they took away my dearly beloved 2600 line 10 minutes early, not giving me the decency of the last 10 minutes to say my full departing goodbyes.
Up fighting for its life automatically came the 1400 line-defiantly full of life, trying to take over as a slave in the bold attempt to try to keep life into the Loran system protecting the legend and memory of its brother 2600. Defiantly fighting to keep the family together. Kind of like when you go close to a lobster pot at the Canyon and those Mahi’s, small as they are, start attacking your boat in defense of their turf.
But alas, before too long the magical 1400 line, home of The Fish Tales and Atlantis canyons also was slaughtered.
Yes, now it was only the 4300 line, as the 5900 also disappeared as well when I looked for it, and now it was only the 4300 line holding on for dear life of the Loran system, searching on its own, hanging on for dear life. It was 3:15 PM and in defiance of the entire Government of the United States of America the 4300 line said for all to hear "Don't Tread on Me!"

And finally, yes finally-like a beautiful Big-Eye tuna making its last death spirals around the boat before it's date with the destiny of death, the 4300 line fell as well. Alas, the last SEARCH line of defense, the last in the lineage of the 9960 Loran family slaves went to sleep forever.
LIVE, LIVE Loran !But it was not to be- Yes, at about 3:30 PM February 8th, 2010 the last life of the great Loran system, the magical 4300 line fell victim to the massive onslaught of GPS technology.
Can you imagine a government, the greatest power in the history of the world-cannot find enough money to keep a duplicate LOng Range Aid to Navigation system running?

When one thinks of the national debt, all the money that has been spent and wasted, much of it lining the pockets of Wall Street money manipulators who have drained our country, massive perks for politicians, and we cannot find enough money to keep some Loran towers going?
Well, one must go with the flow they say-but there is something about this flow that has me thinking the flow of the river of our beloved country is heading towards a cesspool. Sorry for my cynicism- Please understand, I just lost a dear friend.

Enough said, I must lay a wreath on the dearly departed and my dearly beloved Loran.

Thank you for letting me work out my psychoses on all of you-- but there is also much truth as well in the above story of Loran.

Mike-DESIRE

I don't think that qualifies as a psychosis, just someone who has spent many years around this great navigational aid and is crushed to see it cancelled. :(

The paragraphs above are an amazing step by step descent into the sadness many must feel. Though others may feel the same way, you were able to put those words into an amazing narrative that showed the stupidity of our gov't, and at the same time the confidence many people had in this program..

You sir are a creative genius. I wondered if you were involved in writing or advertising for a living? If not you should consider it. Thanks for sharing that, Mike. :thumbsup:

I tried to e-mail you, but that feature is turned off.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you DarkSkies ~

Number one, I appreciate your kind words about my post. The truth be known, I do feel terrible about Loran being discontinued, and like losing a great woman, yes, a passionate lover- oftentimes that is a "muse" which sparks the juices of our creativity, among other juices in the case of a beautiful woman, it does open up the portals of the best of "who we are" from an artistic and creative sense.

And while I have not been involved in the business of advertising, or specifically creative writing- it is the magic of how words can be woven together that I love which is the essence of our ability to communicate-and that is one of the crown jewels of our humanity.

Back to the Loran.
It is a major loss to the language of the great pleasure of fishing. I do not think our fellow-fishermen totally realize the scope of this yet, and maybe it is only going to be for the old-timers who spoke a different language of Loran coordinates.

How do you stop speaking about 100 square? How do you start forgetting the magic of the West Wall on the 050 line?
How would people like it if they went to a football game and you were no longer allowed to say the word "Touchdown!," but it had to be replaced by "crossing the goal line." Yes, there is something major which has been lost here.
And most stupidly, it has been lost in bureaucratic BS. For the amount of money this country spends on so many programs and "bridges to nowhere", someone should have been smart enough in that circus of the Congressional incompetence to figure out the Loran program should be saved on so many levels. And more important than just the nomenclature of our fishing spots, how do you not have a backup system for all that travels across the Great United States? I just don't get it. Or maybe they just don't get it, I am not sure.

Anyway, back to our world of fishing. We will adapt, we will move forward-but something great has been lost, and I felt it my responsibility to express that loss for my fishing brethren.

And again, I thank you for your kind comments DarkSkies, I wrote the site coordinator to try and figure out how to get private e-mails.

Good fishing to all--and everyone of us should appreciate the wonderful opportunity each one of us has in our love of fishing.
It is a gift of the highest order.

Mike-DESIRE

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Its funny, I am 33 and I never really learned how to navigate with it, although I understood the principle of how it works (or, eh worked). I have been fishing offshore for 15 years and I started to notice in recent years that guys much older than me did not even know what the principle was. You are right years from now when you say 100 sq or 750 sq people will have no idea what you mean and it will be a good story to tell.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
LORAN needed a bailout, but sadly time has passed beyond the worthiness of this navigation tool. It's over Johnny...
I need a bailout too Basil---And I have not heard one thing from the government to help me out!

And I don't want to get too personal here in this open forum Basil, but your love-life needs a bailout as well.-- And how many women has the government sent you in the last few months??

Actually the above is not true, and I apologize-- In fact I believe Basil is dating two Playboy bunnies now at the same time. And if you are not, and that is just a rumor, I am sure we have a mutual friend who can give you some of his overruns from his overflowing cup.
There is nothing like a good cup of hot chocolate...... MMMMMMmmm

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ken ~

That is very generous of you to offer to share your women with Basil.

However, I do believe your women can be more described as a Vanilla Latte, rather than a steamy cup of Hot Chocolate.....
Whatever your choice Basil- you are so lucky to have such wonderful friends.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mark ~

I have no doubt your house is always loaded with hot chocolate.... Bathtubs full!
Not only that, but one of the last times you went on my boat, you brought a delicious cup of hot chocolate with you, and you were a total friend to let me take a sip, maybe two, - and not get upset that I was drinking your hot chocolate right in front of you!
That is a real, true friend!!

We must get some of that hot chocolate over to Basil's house as quickly as we can, I think he could really use it right now.
Or possibly Basil should pick some up at the Huntington Hilton out on Route 110 on Long Island. I believe he has special guest status there. He is FAMOUS!!! He still has a credit which he never used for an unspent total evening. They owe him a rebate!!

Basil, I know when to stop talking, or writing.... as it is in this case.
Some things will go to the grave with me Basil - Seriously, trust me on that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.