BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Cape May County Mosquito Control sprays the back bays (via helicopters) killing mosquito larvae throughout the wet lands. As bay men know, most bait fish feed upon the mosquito larvae. when their food supply is wiped out, they die off, or move else where. Without the bait fish in the back bays, the larger predatory fish such as bass, weakfish, and blues will in turn migrate to better feeding grounds.
Most fishermen will agree the fishing has been getting progressively worse, year after year. The 'working birds' we saw daily in the fall are almost nonexistent. I believe the spraying for the mosquito larvae was initiated around 2001-2002, not surprisingly when the fishing begin it's decline.
We fishermen must ban together to stop this practice, otherwise we can forget about having great fall fishing we had in the years past. If you have any sugestions on how we can stop this practice, please post !

·
Banned
874 Posts
I caught plenty of stripers in fall around the Ocean City area and the Delaware Bay. Limited out on land and on boats every weekend in November. Instead of blaming pesticides, we should focus on the many recreational fisherman I saw carrying their limits off jetties, bridges, sod, bands, beaches, and of course party boats, private boats, and charter boats.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Not a fan of any type of spraying but for the most part baitfish around my location were off the chart last year. Baby bunker were down but they are plankton feeders. Minnows, shiners and grass shrimp were fantastic and the minnows and grass shrimp are still plentiful.

·
Banned
2,531 Posts
I had my best fall ever in Cape may County.:huh:

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
I had my best fall ever in Cape may County.:huh:
Except for a couple weeks early on the beach during the mullet exit, I had my worst year ever since the moratorium was lifted in Cape may County. Beachfront or backwater. Progressively worse the last three years counting this year.:huh::huh:

The Producer.... North, South, or middle CMC?

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
If you never saw the bass fishing in the late 90's-early 2000's, then you have no idea that their was a decline.
But i find it hard to believe that mosquito spraying has anything to do with a few bad seasons.
Why was the spring in the back so good then? Is the fertilizers that we use for our pretty lawns not part of the problem?
Beach replenishments up and down the coast not part of the problem?
Dogfish? Dolphin?
You could point to a dozen things, but i would say the least likely would be mosquito spraying.
JMO

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The Surf in South Jersey sucked because the fish were primarily keyed in on Sand eels. They tend to stay offshore when passing south of LBI. The fall surf in South Jersey is really never that great compared to LBI north and that is mainly due to geography. Look at a map. But in the past when south jersey had a decent fall bite it was when we had more peanut bunker around. I am really unsure why there are so few peanuts these days but don't know if pesticides are to blame. Maybe they are?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I too had my worse year ever, as did vertually all those I know around the OC area, & included in that lot are some of the best fisherman I know. I have four 50 lb+ bass to my credit and these guys are much better than I. An old guy I met on an OC jetty shared this theory with me, & it explains the decline better than any other I've heard.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I too had my worse year ever, as did vertually all those I know around the OC area, & included in that lot are some of the best fisherman I know. I have four 50 lb+ bass to my credit and these guys are much better than I. An old guy I met on an OC jetty shared this theory with me, & it explains the decline better than any other I've heard.
If i might ask. How many of those 50lb fish have you gotten off SJ? Delaware bay excluded.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
The Surf in South Jersey sucked because the fish were primarily keyed in on Sand eels. They tend to stay offshore when passing south of LBI. The fall surf in South Jersey is really never that great compared to LBI north and that is mainly due to geography. Look at a map. But in the past when south jersey had a decent fall bite it was when we had more peanut bunker around. I am really unsure why there are so few peanuts these days but don't know if pesticides are to blame. Maybe they are?
Bingo. Massive amounts of sandeels, coupled with water temps that stayed at record highs= bad for SJ.

·
Registered
554 Posts
They don't need to spray for mosquitos up north because it is over developed and mosquitos even have a hard time surviving with all that pavement and land alteration.

I think more is at play than mosquitos here. I wish we could just tag 10 migratory fish and follow them non stop through their stint in new jersey so we really knew what was going on....

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
I have only been fishing for Bass in front of LEI/LBI for 5 years, but what I saw this year with Bass on the surface on sand eels, and in one area for over month was like nothing I have seen in the previous years.

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
The migration aside....... Where are the resident fish? eel, I'm sure you are correct about the runoff. Can't help us down here that we have no less than eight golf courses, all on the edge of the meadow or through a small piece of woods, between WW Crest and Sea Isle Blvd. Add to that the spraying, the weed killers on those pretty stone yards on the Islands, and the amount of impervious coverage that is ever increasing. Hey, at least we're not dumping raw sewerage in the back bays anymore..... I don't think.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
As bay men know, most bait fish feed upon the mosquito larvae.
I agree the spraying can't be good, or the golf courses, but.....
I didn't know that our local baitfish take advantage of the high tides to swarm the meadows and sip up mosquitos. I am going to put away the cast nets/drop nets/traps and break out the #24 midge pattern and my one weight.....

RyanF

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
If i might ask. How many of those 50lb fish have you gotten off SJ? Delaware bay excluded.
I can't speak for indy but I caught my 50 from the beach and another 45 was landed right next to me at the same time. I've seen many very large fish landed (40+lbs) from the beach over the years. I fish Brigantine but not during beach replenishments.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
The Cape May County Mosquito Control sprays the back bays (via helicopters) killing mosquito larvae throughout the wet lands. As bay men know, most bait fish feed upon the mosquito larvae. when their food supply is wiped out, they die off, or move else where. Without the bait fish in the back bays, the larger predatory fish such as bass, weakfish, and blues will in turn migrate to better feeding grounds.
Most fishermen will agree the fishing has been getting progressively worse, year after year. The 'working birds' we saw daily in the fall are almost nonexistent. I believe the spraying for the mosquito larvae was initiated around 2001-2002, not surprisingly when the fishing begin it's decline.
We fishermen must ban together to stop this practice, otherwise we can forget about having great fall fishing we had in the years past. If you have any sugestions on how we can stop this practice, please post !
ain't a "bayman' but don't mosquitos breed in freshwater???

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
You guys will have all the bass you want in a few days, they are coming, its all about wt's which by us are still 48! Mosquitos, herring and bunker are different things, and there are no mosquitos now in the dead of winter or larvae.

Here's your birds from today - January 4th. All the bait and bass a man could ask for heading your way. They moved 4 miles south in 20 minutes this afternoon.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
I had a great day of bassin in the rips mid december and based on that pic and report should have another within the next 10 days or so:thumbsup:....if i can get my arse back down there:huh::D.....

nice pic - gotta love them birds (an no not the football team:D)

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.