BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a nice plug bag. Besides 8" tubes would like it to have some storage. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
In the market for a nice plug bag. Besides 8" tubes would like it to have some storage. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
My plug bag is six tubed and easily straps to my waders I carry maybe 6 plugs 4 metals a few teasers ,pretiied leaders, and a few plastics and bucktails, lighter is better after a few years of serious plugging I have found bringing everthing out there doesn't make the experience more enjoyable. It actually slows you down as you hunt down the beach in search of the fish

Here are a few pics of my bag (6) tubes and what I was having success with this fall. Maybe a few changes through the fall season, as I lost some plugs but this was more than enough thru most nights.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Aquaskinz were nice but a bit pricey I thought.
look used. i just sold my medium bag in great shape with a 10' stellar lite for $110. deals are out there, i got the bag for $70 shipped to my door i think.

i loved that bag, only sold it to downsize so i force myself to carry less

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
look used. i just sold my medium bag in great shape with a 10' stellar lite for $110. deals are out there, i got the bag for $70 shipped to my door i think.

i loved that bag, only sold it to downsize so i force myself to carry less
I also downsized to the small bag because I got tired of digging thru things at night to get what I wanted out of the plug bag. Truth is if you are plugging regularly you know what you need to bring once you get on the pattern. I have larger plug bags with as many as 24 tubes but they never leave my car. The little six tube is all I take.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
I picked up a nice shimano bag @ Grumpy's in Sea Side. It cost around $70 and has 8 removable compartments. It is comfortable to wear and carries all that need.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Do they still make the Canyon Surf bags - they are awesome - have an old trusty.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
My plug bag is six tubed and easily straps to my waders I carry maybe 6 plugs 4 metals a few teasers ,pretiied leaders, and a few plastics and bucktails, lighter is better after a few years of serious plugging I have found bringing everthing out there doesn't make the experience more enjoyable. It actually slows you down as you hunt down the beach in search of the fish

Here are a few pics of my bag (6) tubes and what I was having success with this fall. Maybe a few changes through the fall season, as I lost some plugs but this was more than enough thru most nights.
That looks like my bag, including most all of the plugs and metals. It that the "tall' bag? Mine has the flimsy round tubes. Did you replace the tube with upgrades? if so, where did you get the square tubes?

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
That looks like my bag, including most all of the plugs and metals. It that the "tall' bag? Mine has the flimsy round tubes. Did you replace the tube with upgrades? if so, where did you get the square tubes?

The tubes came with the bag, but if you really want square tubes go to Home Depot and get P.V.C fence stiles my other three bags are lined with both 2" by 2" and 4" by 2" P.V.C. fence material its thinner walled than P.V.C tubing and are square. This bag has all my bombers , yozuris, diawa S.Ps, redfins ect,ect, my biigger wooden dannys, metal lips, Pencils , Bottle neck ,and poppers fit perfect in the 2"by 4" rails.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Not sure what you are looking to spend, but I just picked up a MAK Angler 4 tube bag. It's light and feels like it should last a lifetime. Surfcaster makes some decent ones also for a little less, have a buddy who has had one for about 10 years. Also, FJ Neil has some bags that look like they should hold up pretty good. I'd stay was from Precision Pak and Shimano based on bad personal experiance with them. Good luck.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Picked up the AquaSkinz single row surf bag this fall at Tackle Direct $90.00 and received a free wading belt. this thing is bullet proof and will last forever. The belt is well thought thru. With the Velcro system. Good investment for surf fishing. And made in the U.S.A :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I also downsized to the small bag because I got tired of digging thru things at night to get what I wanted out of the plug bag. Truth is if you are plugging regularly you know what you need to bring once you get on the pattern. I have larger plug bags with as many as 24 tubes but they never leave my car. The little six tube is all I take.
its funny you say you downsized to the small bag with six tubes. the one i sold to downsize even more was a 5 tube, i went with a 3 row.

henry 2, you will love that bag. i loved mine, i really only sold it cause i can't justify having a bunch of bags when i can only carry one at a time. i bet i regret that at some point this coming season when i want to carry more then the 3 row can carry.....

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
its funny you say you downsized to the small bag with six tubes. the one i sold to downsize even more was a 5 tube, i went with a 3 row.

henry 2, you will love that bag. i loved mine, i really only sold it cause i can't justify having a bunch of bags when i can only carry one at a time. i bet i regret that at some point this coming season when i want to carry more then the 3 row can carry.....
What I like about the bag I'm using is it straps tightly to my. Left side I can actually rest my reeling elbow to it and continue to reel, in rougher water I strap it to my back and it helps to support my spine because of its tall thin profile. It has drainage grommets so no water collects in it. The bag has no zippers or anything that can rust. I have my pliers on a leash so. They can be pulled from the sleave without losing them.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all your input guys. Seriously looking at the shimano blue wave surf bag bwvsb250 it seems like a good value with many nice features if anyone has a review on this bag let me know.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Thanks for all your input guys. Seriously looking at the shimano blue wave surf bag bwvsb250 it seems like a good value with many nice features if anyone has a review on this bag let me know.
Don't have personal experience w/ that bag, but have heard some not great things about it's durability. If you only fish a few times a year, it may hold up, but if you fish regularly (2 to 3 times a week say) you could run into a problem with it. I made the same mistake w/ my Precision Pak. Lots of nice features, lasted me 2 months...

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Don't have personal experience w/ that bag, but have heard some not great things about it's durability. If you only fish a few times a year, it may hold up, but if you fish regularly (2 to 3 times a week say) you could run into a problem with it. I made the same mistake w/ my Precision Pak. Lots of nice features, lasted me 2 months...

As I stated earlier, I use this exact bag. It is an awesome bag that I'm pretty sure I will never have to replace. I have used it many times and it's not going to break down anytime soon. I highly recommend it. My surf fishing buddy is getting one too.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Do they still make the Canyon Surf bags - they are awesome - have an old trusty.
Cicherman, I had good experiences with the old Canyon surf bags as well, but that was when I fished a lot less, only 1 or 2 times a week. Without starting arguments.,

IMO some of the bags that are made now are of lesser quality as manufacturers look to improve the bottom line. I'm not relating this to the Canyon bags as they were a favorite of mine for several years, merely pointing out that there is a lack of quality (bags that will last for years as they used to) in some of the lower priced brands out there.

Not sure what you are looking to spend, but I just picked up a MAK Angler 4 tube bag. It's light and feels like it should last a lifetime. Surfcaster makes some decent ones also for a little less, have a buddy who has had one for about 10 years. Also, FJ Neil has some bags that look like they should hold up pretty good. I'd stay was from Precision Pak and Shimano based on bad personal experiance with them. Good luck.
MAK or Surfcaster I consider premium bags for guys who fish often and may use their bag 5 times a week or more. MAK, is one of the most well-made bags out there, anyone who fishes a lot is extremely loyal to their MAK bag. Right now it seems they have some delivery and communication issues from a thread on the internet...but if you are willing to deal with that, there are few bags that match that standard of quality and will put up with the brutal conditions many of us fish in.

Surfcaster bags, made in Ct. are my current favorite....and at this point, you couldn't give me another bag to get me to stop using my Surfcaster bag, unless it was a premium MAK...the conditions I sometimes fish in are too demanding to accept anything less...there are times when I'm fishing 5-6 nights/week when the bite is hot, and I often am using the bag when it's still wet from the night before. For that, IMO you need the best qualiity, and Surfcaster will not let you down. Nor is it easy to stick a treble in it, which is a downfall of some of the thinner material surf bags out there.,..which can put you in jeoardy if out there during a dark night full moon in big surf...

Picked up the AquaSkinz single row surf bag this fall at Tackle Direct $90.00 and received a free wading belt. this thing is bullet proof and will last forever. The belt is well thought thru. With the Velcro system. Good investment for surf fishing. And made in the U.S.A :thumbsup:

Henry, I'm not looking to argue here. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. That's also the opinion of a lot of surfcasters....and Kadir is a great guy..I have a lot of respect for him and see him working hard at all the shows....but I don't have a hidden interest in supporting any one particular brand here, and feel it's important to speak freely and honestly....
I've owned that brand, and many guys who fish their gear hard could echo my opinion here that unless you are buying a high-end Aquaskins series bag, they do not hold up to extreme surfcasting and daily use over long periods of time.... Again, just my opinion and experience....

Jozep, it seems like you are looking for a bag in the lower end, as you said price was important. Farrell gave a good suggestion to look for a used one online or Craigslist. That way you could get a little better bang for your buck, the best of both worlds...

Hope this thread is helpful to you. Remember that everyone's perceptions of the bag they use is colored by the amount of time they spend fishing out there....your decision should IMO be based on deciding what quality level is best for you, within your budget, depending on the amount of time you will be spending out there....good luck. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts