BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested to know what different options are out there for plug storage. Note I say storage, and not plug bag. I have three plug bags, including a canyon, a bronco, and some other no-name brand. These are all fine for the various types of fishing I do.

Basically looking for a big plug bag to stay in garage or truck - simply for storage. The Surfcaster has one for about $200. Haven't seen any other's available through retail. What are you guys doing? :confused:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't surf fish that much but I know a guy that made a nice storage system for his plugs with PVC pipes. He used 2" and 3" pipes that he cut to the lenghts of the plugs, mounted the pipes to plywood sections. Then he slid the sections into a plastic milk crate.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Instead of PVC you can use flourescent light explosion tubes. They are clear plastic and lighter. If you need larger diameter try using schedule 20 PVC like they use for central vac systems. It's a thinner wall and a lot lighter.

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Originally posted by LongDrive:
Interested to know what different options are out there for plug storage.
Longdrive, I've got just the thing for ya!

The Flambeau 2780 Maximizer !

This box is super sweet and it holds a ton of plugs including the Biguns
Besides it's ability to hold a small army of plugs, you can also use the inserts as a "washdown" rack. Simply lift the insert full of salty plugs out of the box and spray her down

I use the Maximizer for storing wooden plugs and the Plano #7915 for storing plastics.

The #7915 needs a bit of modification if you plan on hanging your plugs arse end first
Besides that, it too is a very nice box that can be used either for storage or as a smaller box to bring along on the boat,etc.

I guess I should be careful with the word "smaller". The #7915 although smaller then the Maximizer isn't all that small. It measures: 21-1/2"L x 12-1/2"W x 13"H.

[ 03-20-2004, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Ron Redington ]

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Longdrive, you might try this homemade option. Much like the other guys using PVC in various diameters, but I have used a double bowling ball bag to set them up in with a plywood base. It may sound strange, I know, but it works. The added benefits are it has a shoulder strap and also front and side pockets for other terminal tackle storage, leader material, pliers or whatever. try a pro shop at a bowling alley for an old used one , they will probably give it to you just to clear it out. Good luck, Jim Mac

Can't catch em from here.

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Originally posted by Jim Mac:
Longdrive, you might try this homemade option.
Jim, your "home made" option appears to be a surf bag. From what LD described, he seems to be interested in something to store his plugs in at home as apposed to in the suds.

My guess is his better half has given him his last warning by asking him to clean up the thousands of plugs he has strewn around the house...LOL!

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Yea Ron , the better halfs do get a little upset when they come across your newest selection of stretch lures in the medicine cabinet. They are there to admire while I'm thinking about fishing. Some women just can't take a joke11111

·
Registered
771 Posts
Ron,

I think you helped me too, were would you get on of those boxes??

Andy (LongDrive),
I just got done with organizing my plugs about 10 minutes ago, must have been reading your mind. Going to give it try tonight, my uncle has been banging fish up north on plugs and jigs.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Originally posted by Jim Mac:
Yea Ron , the better halfs do get a little upset when they come across your newest selection of stretch lures in the medicine cabinet.
Or better yet when they catch ya trying ta sneak in the back door with a bag full'a plugs ya just picked up from the Flea Market...LOL!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I use old tennis ball containers with the lid on. They are just long enough to hold 3 or 4 plugs and fit into my surf bag easily.
Just hang the top hook on the lip and put the top on.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys,

Thanks for the good responses. I knew my Barn friends would come to the table with some good thoughts.

That Maximizer box looks like the deal. I had never heard of it, and frankly have never seen one in any shop that I frequent. Now, being the impatient man that I am, I took a little action this weekend. Turns out I had a dairy carton in the attic that was just begging to be put to use.
I contacted a local tennis club, and they were more than happy to have me come take some tennis ball cans (lighter alternative to PVC Pipe) off their hands.

In about 1/2 hour, I built my own box. By the way, if I could have purchased the Maximizer somewhere local, I would have just done it. But have to admit it was kind of fun throwing this thing together. I drilled a good size hole in the bottom of each can, then glued them all together. 16 cans fit perfectly inside this dairy carton. End result, nice little storage box that holds about 80 plugs.

I'd be happy to send a picture by email if anybody is interested. Honestly, it was as simple as described above. Still might look at buying the Maximizer as I have plenty more plugs that need a home.
And Ron is right, I get all kinds of off color remarks from the wife regarding my plugs. She just can't understand why it is critical to have several plugs of the same type in the same color. :D (not to mention different colors and types ;) ).

Hey Jeff, we gotta hook up. I've not yet been down but am definitely ready. Looks like the weather might finally break later this week. Give me a call or shoot me an email. Glad to hear Uncle is banging them already. He must be the man!

- Andy

[ 03-22-2004, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: LongDrive ]

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Originally posted by Ron Redington:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jim Mac:
Yea Ron , the better halfs do get a little upset when they come across your newest selection of stretch lures in the medicine cabinet.
Or better yet when they catch ya trying ta sneak in the back door with a bag full'a plugs ya just picked up from the Flea Market...LOL! </font>[/QUOTE]"I swear Honey he just gave them to me for field testing, he's a good friend"!! yeah right, you know how many reels and rods I have that were "given" to me!! LOL :D :D Oh what they dont know wont hurt 'em! ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts