BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favorite boat plugging outfit you guys/gals use? Outfit meaning rod and length and reel with type of line and pound rating.

I personally like a 7 - 7 1/2 ft. rod with either a stella 6000 or 8000 depending on the time of year and fireline 20 or 30 depending on the reel.

Now this is purely for plugging.

Kadir

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I like a medium or slow action rod as well. I like the soft tipped rods that allow flexibility when bouncing off the bottom plus, if I get hung up, they are more forgiving initally with the braid.

I am surprised to hear the reel you using though. It seems a little too small to me.

Anything I should know.....

Kadir aka: Rock Hopper

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Kadir, I am assuming you mean wood plugging. I think these guys are thinking bombers and mega baits. Maybe Im wrong.

Throwing wood I use a 8' Tidemaster XHXF with a 400 Calcutta. The rod is XF rating but I would actually say its a fast moderate.

·
Registered
20,270 Posts
I have a 7'9" G Loomis G2. It is the Mag-Heavy, Fast Action blank with a Calcutta 401TE. Spooled with 30#PP and about a 6' 30# flouro leader... wouldn't trade it in for anything, it is my favorite multi-use set-up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for sharing guys. I haven't had a chance to reply but have read it. fmTuna, sounds like you have a great set up and one I am going to look at.

hipkvw,

Yes, you are right my friend. I also will be throwing 2-4 oz. bucktails and large rubber (9")shads with 3-4 oz. lead heads....need something that will handle that....the reels are more than okay but I am looking for the "perfect" rod....

Kadir aka:Rock Hopper

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Originally posted by Rock Hopper:
What is your favorite boat plugging outfit you guys/gals use? Outfit meaning rod and length and reel with type of line and pound rating.
For plugging (wood) "large" from a boat in the spring I like to use...

7' St.Croix Spinning. Heavy Power / Fast Action 10-20# 1/2 -1 1/2 (don't pay a lot of attention to the numbers. The way they come up with them is nuts :rolleyes: ) Model #PS70HF.

For a reel I like my Diawa 3000 SSII spooled up with 30# Power Pro

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.