BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
yozuri mag popper works well, gibbs makes excellent wooden plugs/poppers, bait tackle shops should have both....

Then of course there are all those customs plugs made by some of our fellow barners, damn nice ones for sure. Hopefully a few of those dudes will catch this post and help ya out even more.

sjb

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by nospot2fsh:
What is a good plug to use?? I never used one and have no idea what they are. Thanks
Are you talking strictly backbay plugging ?

If so Bomber 4" Minnows are the ticket,I like
Black/Purple Yellow Eye, Black Red Eye for night fishing and we also have alot of success during the fall during the daytime with the Clear/Dark Green ones...

Slow steady retrieves cause some violent strikes from Bass...

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Here is a shot of my backbay arsenal..

From Top To Bottom:
Green/Clear Bomber
Black Redfin
Black/Purple Bomber
Storm Suspending Swim Shad
Dark Green Yo-Zuri Mag Darter

All of these have taken backbay Stripers up to 20lbs...Small baits but they catch big fish...

Good Luck,,,,

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
I gotta tell you, I used Big Dons 2 1/4 oz. swimmer yesterday at IBSP & the action on that thing is incredible. I mean INCREDIBLE.
It was almost sexual. :D :D
I had one big blue slam it but it didnt stay on.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by nospot2fsh:
Yes, I mostly back bay fish, from Longport to TI.
Thanks for the info.
Cool,
We catch them from April thru December in the back make sure you pick up a black/purple Bomber.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I tried a black bomber at Barnegat Light on Saturday with no luck. I did catch a snag which cost me the rig! I've got plugging a bunch of times and only ever caught 1 crazy blue on the rocks. Need to get out more and learn how to do this!

·
Banned
1,062 Posts
Was casting a swimming plug a few weeks ago off my dock in OC and as I was lifting the plug out of the water the stripers would dart out from underneath the dock and nail it! I didn't even have to reel them in, I would just lift them onto the dock, pretty cool...they were small ones about 20", but fun to catch! My retrieval was real sloooow, when you think its slow, slow down even more! Find a good dock with lights and stay back from the edge and cast straight out and bring it all the way in to the dock, all my hits were as the plug was coming out of the water, way more fun than bait fishing....

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Originally posted by ReadyJettyGo:
I gotta tell you, I used Big Dons 2 1/4 oz. swimmer yesterday at IBSP & the action on that thing is incredible. I mean INCREDIBLE.
It was almost sexual. :D :D
I had one big blue slam it but it didnt stay on.
They are awesome! I love the bunker one
And I got a Big Don Black Swimmer that is 3.9 oz!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.