BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
California DFG Threatens to Eradicate Striped Bass
In an unprecedented move, the California Department of Fish and Game has been forced to propose regulations which will eradicate striped bass from the San Francisco Bay and Delta. A water contractor group known as the Coalition for a Sustainable Delta filed a lawsuit against the DFG alleging that striped bass are one of the primary causes of the loss of endangered salmon. The DFG was forced into a settlement on the lawsuit and the Department now has issued draft regulations that will eradicate the striped bass. Fisherman and the fishing industry are livid about the proposal. It will reduce the minimum size a fisherman can keep to 12 inches and it will allow a bag limit of up to 40 stripers in some locations.
This proposal stinks rotten. The lawsuit was funded by Stewart Resnick, the billionaire farmer and developer who sees this as an opportunity to once again try to blame the fish and fishermen for the problems in the Delta caused by overpumping. We see it differently. It is a brazen move to undo the public trust doctrine and the rights of the citizens of California to use and enjoy the water and aquatic resources of the state. We need to fight back with every mechanism at our disposal.
The action proposed by the organizations at the top of this page advocates a massive letter writing campaign to the Fish and Game Commission which has the ability to kill the DFG proposal. If the Commission votes for the proposal, it will go into effect. If the commission votes against the proposal, it is dead and the water contractors will have no further recourse. The regulations will then stay as they are today. We are asking every concerned striper and other fisherman to use one or both of the following procedures to send letters and emails to the Commission. If you want to write and mail a personal letter, click here to see a couple of sample letters http://water4fish.org/write-letters-to-legislators/index.php/ To use the automated email letter, click “to Continue” below and you will see the email letter to the Commission with copies to Fish and Game. On the email letter please do two things.
1. Fill out your name address and email and click on the box that gives industry leaders permission to add your name to a mass protest that will be submitted to the Commission.
2. Click “Send My Letter”, your email will be immediately sent and you will receive a confirmation.
We will protect your confidentiality. We will not give, lend, share or sell your email address to anyone except the organization that you list on the form.
Thank you. With your support, we will win this battle.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I just saw this and think that we need to help our brothers and sisters on the left coast!!Good post Jerzey Bass

FC

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
This is a tough one.

On one hand it appears like a selfish, greed laced attempt to deflect blame away from the true culprit...

On the other hand, it is almost impossible to logically sit here and believe that the introduction of striped bass over there hasn't had some kind of ecological impact on the native species, especially as the striped bass stocks really took hold...

Just like anything else in life, there must be a middle ground somewhere, but in today's world you are never able to drive the middle road. So, I guess I say screw it I will send a letter in favor of the striped bass.....

RyanF

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
On the other hand, it is almost impossible to logically sit here and believe that the introduction of striped bass over there hasn't had some kind of ecological impact on the native species, especially as the striped bass stocks really took hold...

This is the crux of the issue. I hope that science will win out in the end, be it for or against the stripers. I hate the thought of big money fat cats influencing the issue either way .I can't say that I am a stakeholder in this issue as I have never even been to the west coast. As Ryan said, there must be some middle ground that everyone can accept. I do know enough about the salmon issue to believe that there are other, more serious pressures on endangered salmon than stripers like...dams on their historic spawning rivers, development within watersheds leading to bad water quality, overpumping water for agriculture etc.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
This is the crux of the issue. I hope that science will win out in the end, be it for or against the stripers. I hate the thought of big money fat cats influencing the issue either way .I can't say that I am a stakeholder in this issue as I have never even been to the west coast. As Ryan said, there must be some middle ground that everyone can accept. I do know enough about the salmon issue to believe that there are other, more serious pressures on endangered salmon than stripers like...dams on their historic spawning rivers, development within watersheds leading to bad water quality, overpumping water for agriculture etc.
I am not well versed in the plight of the west coast salmon, but from what I have read and pulling from plain old common sense, I agree 100 percent.

RyanF

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check that video i posted. I dont think Bass could eat so many salmon to effect it that badly. Now if we damned up the breeding grounds of the stripers as bad as they do to the salmon it would be bye bye bass

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Check that video i posted. I dont think Bass could eat so many salmon to effect it that badly. Now if we damned up the breeding grounds of the stripers as bad as they do to the salmon it would be bye bye bass
I do agree with you, I am just saying that it is not a black and white issue. I mean, look at what the snakehead and flatheads are doing already in our waters where they have been introduced. Who knows what their impact will be after 135 years. You just don't really know..

"There were originally no striped bass in California. They were introduced from the East Coast, where they are found from the Gulf of St. Lawrence to Alabama. The initial introduction took place in 1879, when 132 small bass were brought successfully to California by rail from the Navesink River in New Jersey and released near Martinez. Fish from this lot were caught within a year near Sausalito, Alameda, and Monterey, and others were caught occasionally at scattered places for several years afterwards. There was much concern by the Fish and Game Commission that such a small number of bass might fail to establish the species, so a second introduction of about 300 stripers was made in lower Suisun Bay in 1882"

That being said, it is absolutely disgusting if you take a second to look into who is pushing the eradication, it seems to be the ultimate deflection of blame/business manuever.

I have to be honest when I say that I viewed your link with a grain of salt. They are a bunch of kayakers making films, they are not scientists. BUTTTT, there have been studies done, here is one for example: http://water4fish.org/res/pdf/StriperScience.pdf

I am going to send a letter right now...

Also, please take what I post with a grain of salt as well. I am not up up on this issue.

BTW - insane what 432 striped bass have blossomed into, huh??

RyanF

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Here is a stupid question - how did you guys use that link to get the contact information for the CA politicians without a Cali zip code? Random zip???

RyanF

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well put Ryan I agree with you. You can copy the letter print it out and send it to cali by mail if you agree with the protest. And wow 432 and now and alien predator. I see the view points on both sides

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Can't we just give California, along with all its problems and debt, back to Mexico? :razz:

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Fisherman win - it was decided to keep the striped bass regulations the same.

Can you imagine the scenes over there if they upped the bag limit and lowered the minimum size to promote eradication? How silly..

RyanF

·
Registered
338 Posts
Lived on the west coast of Washington State from the mid-1970's until mid-1980's. Worked as the manager at the Ocean Shores Marina, specifically running the charter office and was closely tied to the commercial fishermen. Fished on the boats. Fished the rivers for Salmon and Steelhead. And witnessed the destruction of the commercial Salmon fishing as well as sport fishing for Salmon. Together with the dams blocking the traditional runs of Salmon, the clear cutting of the forests silting the spawning areas, and the destructive force of the Boldt Decision, the Salmon never had a chance. It was only a matter of time. There was no way that the continual netting of spawning fish by the Indian tribes, (the Boldt Decision allowed the Indian tribes 50% of all Salmon and Steelhead) together with the inadequacy of raising salmon in hatcheries, as well as the commercial and sport take of fish - for the Salmon to survive. Striped Bass living from southern Oregon to about mid-California were not to blame for the Salmon's demise. There were strong runs of Salmon along the whole coast prior to the government sanctioned destruction, and there were strong runs of Striped Bass too. I was fishing and catching Salmon and Striped Bass on the San Francisco to Pacific Beach surf during the summer Bass run. Both species fed on the Anchovy schools together. As always, the real culprits are greed and near sightedness.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The Delaware Dept. of Natural Recourses did examinations of Striped Bass stomachs, from commercially and recreationally caught fish, to determine what they were eating. Many were saying that Stripers were causing the decline of Weakfish. DNREC's study showed that Stripers ate very few Weakfish. Can not California do the same type of study, to prove or disprove the contention, that Stripers caused the decline of Salmon? In my opinion greed (overfishing) and dams were the most likely cause.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts