BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had great luck using poppers at sunrise/sunset this year along sodbanks, but have not had any strikes after dark, so I have switched to bombers and have done OK. My question- Do any of you use poppers in complete darkness?
Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Fly Fish,
Yes I have had alot of success in the dead of
the night with these:

Storm Rattlin'Saltwater Chug Bug...

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Poppers will definitely work at night. The key is to work them very slowly. However, along the sod banks, I feel that a popper is usually a little too agressive at night...I think it sometimes spooks more fish than it attracts. Instead, try a slow-crawled Cotton Cordell RedFin, a minnow swimmer similar to a Bomber but it is more buoyoant and on a very slow retrieve can be made to crawl across the surface and create a subtle wake that stripers (and weakfish) absolutely love. It's still topwater fishing, just a different approach.

Right now, the fish have transitioned into their summertime patterns, which means nighttime is the ONLY time to be fishing for Mr. Stripes along the sod banks. When the tide is right we've been doing very well in back of Stone Harbor, but it's been mostly small fish and entirely a night bite. First crack of light and it's over.

Good luck!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NJ Angler Bill,
Thanks for your input. I fish exclusively in Stone harbor and have been having my best year yet along the banks. I have recently started fishing off of my kayak at night, and doing pretty well. You might have seen me out there fishing on my yellow Sit on Top kayak before. I'm out every night during the weekends during and through sunset. If you see me out there give me a shout.
Take care and thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
931 Posts
i just recently bought a stillwater 4'' popper that i like. it casts well and i've caught blues and stripers with it. i think that having feathers or bucktail on the rear hook definitly helps on any popper.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
I agree, Black is a great popper color at night and also on the popping it much slower, especially during the time when it isn't completely real dark. I have had good catches with the lighter poppers but it has alway been a much slower retrive. Smackit Jr. by stillwater is my favorite.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Smack it is by far my favorite. Used it again this weekend. I git 3 on Friday within an hour and put my girlfriend on them Saturday night with my kayak. She landed 3 as well. All on Blue/white smack it- 4".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.