BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me MJbites and lenny hit the porgy today in some frigid conditions. The blow out tide made our whites unreachable for an hour as they were stuck under the dock from the blow out tide. Finally got the crabs out (not too healthy) Set sail with 20 brave souls. Hit a few spots pick at best(except for the NY orkers)
they did well from the onset, but did slow down at days end. All in all some had none, some had a few, and some had there limits. Whites were definatley the ticket. Cold day but still always fun to tog, our group was one short of our limit(Dashing Dan we missed you but we understand the snow in havertown kept you from coming :) we are hitting the bomb in the am with an all star crew looking for the jumbo. And yes it was frickin cold today.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Sounds like the NY guys moved their act to CM. They killed um last weekend on the Star Fish while I sat there pulling my pud. Profesional toggers!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
How do they do it? Do they move around the boat or stay together. I realize there is technique involved and probably two or three kinds of bait. I never enjoyed the togging boats because as soon as somebody he would have people fishing over his shoulder. Did anybody notice anything they did different?

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
How do they do it? Do they move around the boat or stay together. I realize there is technique involved and probably two or three kinds of bait. I never enjoyed the togging boats because as soon as somebody he would have people fishing over his shoulder. Did anybody notice anything they did different?[/QUOTE

They just got the skills!!! You gotta put your time in. Nobody is born with the feel, you gotta crawl b4 you walk.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There names are Carlos and Hector and they were cool guys. To start they are good toggers and use almost always snafus made with id guess 80lb leader. they stay in the same spot most of the time, but in my opinion the biggest factor is the white crabs they had, they were small and very soft and seemed to get hits immediately, when i was able to find one I got hit instantly.(as we know almost impossible to get whites in S. jersey) Im pretty sure they were on the porgy today also but did nt hear how they did.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Thanks for the response TJ, I suspected the white leggers were the deciding factor. Somebody posted about an article in April 07, NJ Angler, so I dug it out and it was informative. Short verson is whitelegger and Jonahs crab are found offshore and green crabs aren't. When somebody breaks out the whites it literally shuts down the green crab bite.
I never take anything away from somebody who out catches me, it's usually because they invested more time and effort then I did. They matched the hatch, and made the catch.
If you would like a copy of the article PM with your address and I send it off to you.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Yeah sorry I wussed out it would have been good to see you guys - next trip. I honestly worked from 6AM to about 5:30PM getting everyone's orders out.

I don't know how you did two days back to back in this weather, you must have olive oil in those veins :p

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
yeah they get different whites then we get.. i seen them use calico crabs too.. a few ny guys hit the boat out of de too and man they crush them

·
Registered
12,822 Posts
Last time out on adambomb the small whole whites with backs ripped off got the bite started for me. Could only get a scratch on the quartered large bodies. Others caught on bodies though

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
NY guys are pros! Different rigs and special crab + the skill. I fished next to um a few weeks back and watched them catch 2X as many fish as the rest of the boat! At one point the older guy using a sidewinder caught two keeps on the same rig - double header keeper tog! Not too many people can say that!

they must practice a lot casue they rarely brought up an empty hook and in fact fowl hooked several keeps with one getting hooked right in the eye which was brought up to the comment of "that will teach ya to even look at my bait!". Frigin pros!

Never would have believed it but using greenies next to um and I wasn't even getting a sniff while they were whacking them good. If I ever get on the boat with them again I will either offer to buy some of their bait or move as far away on the boat from them as possible as it was painful to fish next to um!

Hate the tog!

TF

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Like John said Carlos and Hector are good guys. Also very good blackfishermen. IMO it's not because of super secret different crabs(which come from pp btw) or their custom rods, or cause their from NY.
It's because they practice at it. They blackfish alot. A few days a week maybe. They have their swing down. They know when to hit em and how to get em off the bottom. They use fresh crabs and present them well. Anyone can tie a snafu and send a crab to the bottom, but can u tie it so it doesn't tangle or spin ?
Yes alot of guys stil use mono. I do. Not these guys. Hector didn't even use topshot. Braid tied to a swivel and ~ 4' leader. Just a good blackfishermen.

You know what tho... Rudy ( from wildwood ) won the pool.:DHe had a few nice fish.

So if you're lookin for some toggin tricks go fish next to the infamous toggin pros Carlos and Hector. Hey, no matter what's in the cooler I've never had a bad day with capt Paul. I know he plans to fish this weekend.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Paul you dont fish anyhow why worry about the crabs :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts