BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this on Capt. Paul's FB page. Spent many days on this and his prior boat. Cape May is losing a great Capt. So sad if I'm not mistaken a whole 2 boats now in Cape May and neither is a all day boat. Heartbreaking what's happened in Cape May. There used to be probably close to a dozen party boats.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sentiment agreed, I had the time of my life fishing out of cape may in my 20’s , great memories, restrictions, fuel, and every other thing has crushed these guys, the captain Robbins was the best back in the day though I have to say, capt mike and terry were no bullshit , I loved those guys, and even Hollywood on the miss Chris was great!!

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
I just saw this too. Been years since I was on the vessel, but just retired and was going to fish more. Dang.

Reactions: Fortking

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
He is a hell of a man & captain.....I wish him nothing but the best in retirement......they don’t make em like that anymore

·
Registered
16,292 Posts
The info indu$try particularly TBB when it comes to SNJ sure didn't help sustain the good of the fishing and the regs. I did a porgy trip or two a year, will miss it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The Delaware bay died off in 2000 then regulations all contributed to killing off the party boat fishery in south Jersey, a crying shame, they were my fondest memories as a kid, we would start in Oc and if they didn’t have enough head on down the parkway sometimes had to fish miss Chris but that certainly wasn’t a punishment as long as Fred wasn’t capt

·
Registered
16,292 Posts
Early 2000"s were still good by mid-late 2000s the spot burning and 2 trips a day had taken its toll on the D-bay striper and fluke pops as well the regs.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
IMO Capt Paul was one of the very best out of Cape May. Easy going personality, and worked hard to put his passengers on fish. Sad what has happened over the last 20 years to what was once a premier fishery on the East Coast. All the best to Paul... he’s earned it

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
When you go up to Belmar, PP or BL the 3/4 or 1/2 day head boats are full almost everyday........south of BL it's basically a ghost town for 6+ hour party boats. Porgy IV was my #1 go to head boat since 2007......I've met alot of good people on that boat over the years.........Paul is a great man and his personality is what kept us coming back for more......very comfortable atmosphere on the Porgy......kinda like the show Cheers

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I'm lost as far as what boat to hop on now. Really going to miss everyone we met on that boat. My girl and I would try to get out a few times a year. Met some cool people, it saddens me we may no bump into each other again.

I'll never forget Paul saying is that one getting bigger or are you eating it? We used to be really picky about what we kept with tog and seabass. Lots got tagged and tossed back. I felt the extra enthusiasm in his voice when he would see Leah gill one for the ice (after frantically pulling all my cold beer out). "That one isn't getting any bigger".

Dude was a trip. I think I appreciated the crew, atmosphere, captain, more then any boat I've been on. Not to mention it always felt safe.

We only did the off season trips with them when we were not in the water up here. Very few boats will run in weather they did with their number of clients. These guys put you on fish...their location was prime. I just don't see an alternative SJ boat for a decent long trip.

Avalon and Isle have boats. Wildwood still I think. Still a longer ride to the normal grounds. Shorter trips or less fishing times (or combined) suck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I saw yesterday on FB the Carolyn Anne from northern Jersey was sold and is relocating to south Jersey marina I'm assuming Paul's spot. Dont know anything about this boat or who bought her

·
Registered
16,292 Posts
Tough for a party boat to attract enough fares to make $ sailing out of SNJ or Barnegat for that matter with today's fishing and regs. You have to go 10-20 miles to find any fish, you can't just go to the rips or 60ft slough anymore or the fished out tires/reef concerning Barnegat. NNJ where there's deep water and alot structure much closer, 2 trips a day is more feasible..

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
2 trips a day is more feasible..
yes it is more feasible but those 4 hr trips are for tourists who are happy to catch a sandshark or sea robin. I most likely will head north to get my 6-8hr fluke fix.....unless Jimmy makes it a (real) fluking boat. I like the people and atmosphere in CM but yes u are correct that unless the fluke are piled up on the shoal ( that doesn't last too long) it's a 1-2 hr ride to get to sticky stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts