BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the below noted 23' SeaCraft. Currently, it does not have a built in live well. In May/June I will use a small garbage can & a portable aerator to support live bunker. In Sept I will use a 5 gallon pail & battery operated pump to support peanuts.

I have had mixed results with both setups. I have been thinking of a better setup. I don't know if I want to create a permament setup (as I only use live baitfish for several months during the year).

Has anyone had any success with the larger portable livewells? I am hinking of the 20 gallon to 30 gallon sizes. Or are people going to to tell me that if I want to do it right that I need to install a permenant setup.

I would greatly appreciate any input that you have to offer.

Thanks,

Peter

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I agree with you in the use of live bait. I only use bunker in the spring and peanuts in the fall. I have a 18' boat and I can't clutter it up with big bait wells so I use a 30 gal. drum with my wash down pump in the spring and a 7 gal. drum with the same pump for fall. It works for me and it's off the boat when I don't need it or if I'm fishing with a couple of friends and there is no room.

·
Registered
921 Posts
the wrong type of hoses will harm the fish. even though the water is moving thru it for a short time, it's enough to pick up solvents in the wrong type of hose. taste the water out of green garden hose and then a white camper hose. there's a difference.

·
Registered
921 Posts
forgot the subject..:rolleyes: keep your deck clear, just use a modified cooler. it's made of the right kind of plastic. it won't leech solvents into the water and sicken the bait.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Seriously consider the Keep Alive tank and areator system. I have used them since they came out and you can't beat them. The 14 gallon oval tank is big enough for a couple dozen HERRING or spot, probably a dozen big bunker and all the peanuts or mullet you could need.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Guatemala Dave said:
Seriously consider the Keep Alive tank and areator system. I have used them since they came out and you can't beat them. The 14 gallon oval tank is big enough for a couple dozen HERRING or spot, probably a dozen big bunker and all the peanuts or mullet you could need.

Dave do you stock this tank ? shoot me a email with price.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I purchased a 10 gallon Keep Alive tank from Capt. Dave at the Absecon Bay Sportsman Center about 4 years ago. It sat in the back of my pickup for surf fishing. It kept 3 dozen spot or mullet alive all day on the beach. Last fall I purchased the 14 gallon Keep Alive tank and gave the still working 10 gallon to a friend. I have never lost a baitfish in either tank.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Unless the water is being flushed and repleneshed the amonia levels will kill the bait over time. Plus, aerators really only help by creating bubbles that break the surface tension and expedite the release of carbon dioxide from the tank and entrance of oxygen from the environment. You would probably have better success just putting bait in a cooler and draining/refilling every few hours. Just my $0.02. I've never really seen the benefit of live wells that don't turn the water over.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
wilson said:
forgot the subject..:rolleyes: keep your deck clear, just use a modified cooler. it's made of the right kind of plastic. it won't leech solvents into the water and sicken the bait.
this is what I plan on doing on my 17 mako. I have a big igloo cooler that I bought a livewell pump for and I am going to cut a bucket and make the corners of the cooler rounded so the fish don't swim into the corners...

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great input by everyone. Thanks a bunch.

Two quick questions

1) Are the insulated tanks worth the extra money or not? What does it buy us Jersey fisherman?
2) What works better circular or oval? Or does it really matter?

I understand that the portable solution does have some limitations (namely, that circulating the same water over and over again will make the fish die quicker than doing it "the right away). however, in most cases I don't hold onto live bait that long.(longer than 6 hours or so)

Here is what I am currently thinking:

Buy a 30 gallon keep alive system w/aerator (and alligator clips). I will try this setup. If I need a more permanent setup I can then convert thsi setup.

Any thoughts?

Peter

·
Registered
949 Posts
peb3 said:
Great input by everyone. Thanks a bunch.

Two quick questions

1) Are the insulated tanks worth the extra money or not? What does it buy us Jersey fisherman?
2) What works better circular or oval? Or does it really matter?

I understand that the portable solution does have some limitations (namely, that circulating the same water over and over again will make the fish die quicker than doing it "the right away). however, in most cases I don't hold onto live bait that long.(longer than 6 hours or so)

Here is what I am currently thinking:

Buy a 30 gallon keep alive system w/aerator (and alligator clips). I will try this setup. If I need a more permanent setup I can then convert thsi setup.

Any thoughts?

Peter
This is what I am planning to do this year. Iam currently using a 30 gal drum hooked to my washdown. It works well, its just old. The round/ oval design keeps the bait moving, as opposed to squared corners. As far as insulated or uninsulated, I don't think its an issue if your constantly bringing in fresh water.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts