BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
4 weeks - 28 days - exactly 4 weeks = march 1

Where did winter go ? Looks to be an EARLY opening day bite this year.
The CRABBING should be awesome too this year - NO ICE - MORE OXYGEN - MORE+BIGGER crabs.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
4 weeks - 28 days - exactly 4 weeks = march 1

Where did winter go ? Looks to be an EARLY opening day bite this year.
The CRABBING should be awesome too this year - NO ICE - MORE OXYGEN - MORE+BIGGER crabs.
I like your optimism.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
I second that!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Vendor
296 Posts
The bite is still hot and heavy in monmouth county. Deal is still off the hook. And i am staring at a shrink wrapped boat and shaking my head. I have had the scissors in my hand on several occasions trying to justify cutting off the wrap that i paid alot for. Oh well. Cant wait til march 1st either.
Good luck this spring.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Long Range Forecast....The COLD that's been trapped in Alaska-(65 below 0 in most of the interior regions) and Canada is about to become UnBlocked and seep down to the lower 48- with some BRIEF Cold spells-a couple days at a stretch AT BEST. BUT - these cold snaps are predicted to 'start' Mid-FEB. and last into early March which just might delay an earlier start to the BITE this year. Then again -Dont look like any Hard Freezes at all this winter. Should be a BANG-EM SPRING this year!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
A tip on those holdover blue claws...

Your right, there should be minimal winter kill this year, BUT... you better get them as soon as they come out of the mud, because the commercial crabbers sure will.

When they first come out, probably early april, they are hungry and you have to get right on them. and the best areas are well marked by crab pot bouys. By May they will be caught up and gone to market.

Here's something that you can take to the bank, The more Crabs The more Traps.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Your right, there should be minimal winter kill this year, BUT... you better get them as soon as they come out of the mud, because the commercial crabbers sure will.

When they first come out, probably early april, they are hungry and you have to get right on them. and the best areas are well marked by crab pot bouys. By May they will be caught up and gone to market.

Here's something that you can take to the bank, The more Crabs The more Traps.
Could start seeing them out of the mud in March this year. I was just outside (in FT.WASHINGTON PA.-Montgomery County) watching the ROBINS digging for worms! Dont think they ever migrated from around here this winter. Seen them all winter in big flocks picking at the wild berry trees,and now I'm seeing them Worming,and,read fishing reports about the the last 2 -3 days how the STRIPERS are being caught in NUMBERS off of North-Mid Jersey waters with keeper ratios of 5k out of 20 -the keepers being in the 15 lb. range!

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Long Range Forecast....The COLD that's been trapped in Alaska-(65 below 0 in most of the interior regions) and Canada is about to become UnBlocked and seep down to the lower 48- with some BRIEF Cold spells-a couple days at a stretch AT BEST. BUT - these cold snaps are predicted to 'start' Mid-FEB. and last into early March which just might delay an earlier start to the BITE this year. Then again -Dont look like any Hard Freezes at all this winter. Should be a BANG-EM SPRING this year!
Saw an article on Europe and the extended deep freeze there. Their temps. are way low this year.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Saw an article on Europe and the extended deep freeze there. Their temps. are way low this year.
The Oscillations around the Pole are keeping the cold air mainly bottled up North of the US and over Northern/Eastern Europe. Last I heard about 100 people died from the extreme cold in Eastern Europe. The Oscillation is predicted to move/adjust somewhat letting the cold air escape further South in about 2 weeks. This is what normally happens in the Winter months and WE get a cold air blockage in the US. BUT - the forecasters are seeing a very active movement to the oscillations in that no blockages are predicted -we are only to get brief cold snaps on and off for the remainder of the Winter---Early Spring! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2,531 Posts
Can't wait!

Dropping the boat the last weekend of March and as soon as the boat hits the water, I'm hitting my go to Spring spot. After last years ending, i am so ready to get it on.:fighting:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.