BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I'm not pot fishing there. I am fishing there and will be there again Wed mid afternoon and Thur morning. There is nothing illegal in us being there.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Sharks. I have a very good route, I can't go to the same place twice in the same week. So I only stay around for one night. This week I will be setting on the inside edge SW to NW corners. If ya see me liften don't be alarmed at an shot gun blast every so often, That just makes our lives a little easier from time to time.

BTW there are some great big tiger sharks (true tigers) in there. I would strongly advise not messing with them along side a smaller boat. They have a real nasty attitude. They are eating med sized Sand bars. Please use caution.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Shark fin soup
Cut off the shark fin and waste the rest of the fish. I saw it on TV. Is there an explaination for this? Like....... greed?

Maybe some commercial guys on here can answer for their peers.

I'm no angel but come on.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hey guys have'nt you ever seen shark steaks at the fish counter? If you think they are all mako your crazy! I think finning was outlawed, the whole fish had to be brought to the dock. If the whole fish is used including the fins thats good with me but if its finned and dumped in the drink that aint so good with me. Im sure fishpicker will post the regs when he gets in-from his post I believe he's fishing tonight into tommorrow am. Dont blame the guy fishing blame the regulators if you feel somethings wrong. You should take a little closer look at his posts and pick up on the small hints he seems to leave in every one. How bout a trip to one of the reefs for a little fun with brown sharks. Last year we chummed just outside Little Egg Reef with bunker and drifted back two baits and had a blast with sharks to 5'. We used circle hooks with the biggest peanut bunker we could find and heavy mono leaders. Yes we lost fish at the start and end of the fight but we caught a ton also. They would not touch the traditional shark leader I had out with a bigger bait...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Posted by hardcorefisher;

there is a comercial boat that is fishing pots on just about all the Cape May Reef wrecks. Is this legal?

How come only the comercial guys know the laws on the water!

Fishpicker thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Originally posted by henrybasstardo:
Shark fin soup
Cut off the shark fin and waste the rest of the fish. I saw it on TV. Is there an explaination for this? Like....... greed?

Maybe some commercial guys on here can answer for their peers.

I'm no angel but come on.
Henry,
Why don't you let fishpicker explain. He is not like some of the larger commercial guys that ONLY uses the fins. Somebody has to supply shark meat to the none shark fishing people.

I think it is a little uncalled for to make a comment like yours without knowing what the guy does. Why don't you head off shore with him sometime and see what it is all about????

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Harry I fully understand your comment, Ya see a show on TV that portrays us (comms) as being evil.

Finning might still be practiced in some 4th world country's. However I can ensure you of this it is not a option here in the US. As I have explained many time before for every one carcass I'm allowed 3 fins. The dorsal and Peck fins. So yes part of my catch is shark fin soup. But I still have to bring the body home {right} ? {ooh} I have a idea why don't we {comms} develop a viable market for ourselves, As a matter of fact why don't we try to sell just about the whole shark. {Brilliant} Lets see we have teeth to shell shops, bellies for several types of bait and even a home for livers that have been unharmed.

You know Harry there is more to life then what the TV shows ya.

Flukerat sorry for not gettin right back to ya I wasn't avoiding the question I was sharkin.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Originally posted by mako6950:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bill Couch:
Fishpicker thanks for the tip.
Picker is always laying tips & clues out there. Plus the guys works his arse off to make a few sheckles. </font>[/QUOTE]ALL THAT AND HE IS ALMOST PRETTY!! MAYBE SOMEWHAT.
AND FRED WAITS FOR THE COFFEE NEXT TO THE DOOR WITH TEARS IN HIS EYES.

ABOUT ANOTHER 10 DAYS I'M APPLYING FOR A PICKER TRIP.I'LL SHOWN YOU AGAIN HOW TO CLEAR A WHEELHOUSE???

[ 07-29-2005, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: BIGGESTJACK ]

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Your a ANCIENT MARINER now I don't think your aloud to socialize with the likes of me. { They never invite me in for a drink. }

I've been trying to get you to go for a few days now. I want to see if you can match the stench of my boat. Do you know it took two months and 27 cans of freebreeze to air my girl out. :eek:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
just want all you Barnwers to keep sending money to the reef foundation. The one commercial guy who cant go more than ten miles off the beach appreciates you gathering the fish for him.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Humm Hardcore that a very interesting though. So you think we should draw a line in the sand and say comms fish here and Rec's fish here. Ok I'll play that game but does that mean that your sector can't fish on Comm boats that have been sunk or sank.
Ya best think hard about that question real hard.
BTW aren't there a few wrecks on these reef sites that were donated by the Comm sector.
I was under the impression that these sites were for everyone.
Heck if it is the money that you donate, consider it moneys that you don't have to pay in a saltwater fishing licenses. I have to buy mine every year even if I have no intention of using it. My fee to fish in this state every year is real close to 1,000.00 can you make that claim. MD VA and NC don't cost me that much all together.
Further more the Reef is in Federal waters so the pots and my gear are perfectly legal. We are doing nothing wrong except catching YOUR fish.

[ 07-29-2005, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Fishpicker ]

·
Registered
600 Posts
"hardcorfisher"LOL what exactly is a "barnwers"anyway,we donated a barge two years ago to the reef,that you catch fish on and so does fishpicker, it was through a comm. operation,just because you may donate,MAYBE, 20 dollars does not give you the right to criticize fishpicker for fishing there,like he said he pays a hell of alot more than you do to fish, and he is shark fishing anyway,prob. mostly for sandbars,so whats your problem

1 - 20 of 26 Posts