BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help cooking a pot roast in a crock pot, never did it before, just picked up a roast about 4 1/2 lbs.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I usually brown the roast in a skillet on all sides first then put in in the crock pot with peeled potatoes. I also lightly carmelize the cut up onions & carrots in the skillet with butter & deglaze with some red wine before adding them to the crock pot. I also added salt, pepper, chopped garlic, worchestershire sauce, & Kitchen Bouquet to the pot. I put the crock pot on high for the first 2 hours then turn it down to low until dinner time.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
I usually brown the roast in a skillet on all sides first then put in in the crock pot with peeled potatoes. I also lightly carmelize the cut up onions & carrots in the skillet with butter & deglaze with some red wine before adding them to the crock pot. I also added salt, pepper, chopped garlic, worchestershire sauce, & Kitchen Bouquet to the pot. I put the crock pot on high for the first 2 hours then turn it down to low until dinner time.
Agreed this is the best recipe, except you forgot to mention to throw away the roast and eat the Crock Pot.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I do the same as above, but roll the roast in flour first before browning. That helps to make a thicker gravy from the juices and keeps some of the juices in the meat. Venicin or beef, works great.

·
Registered
24,844 Posts
There is a great thread on this topic called "calling all crockpot cookers"

·
Registered
31,936 Posts
Once browned, put in crock pot with about an inch or so deep onion soup, about a cup of marsala wine and a few tablespoons of worcestershire sauce :thumbsup:

·
Registered
76,198 Posts
The by-product should be a good gravy to cook you potatoes in:thumbsup:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Need some help cooking a pot roast in a crock pot, never did it before, just picked up a roast about 4 1/2 lbs.:thumbsup:
Did you make yesterday? If today we need to know what time is dinner. :DShould I bring dessert.:confused:

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
dont forget the dumplings on top!!!..add them about an hour before you are ready to eat....

·
Registered
11,920 Posts
My gf showed me this one and it's great. A can of Coke or Pepsi, not diet. A package of onion soup mix. Cut up some onions, garlic, peppers perhaps and place under and around the roast. Hi heat setting until the temp is about 140. Can add potatoes, carrots, shrooms, etc. at the same time. Yum.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
6 pm I picked up italian pastries for dessert. No need to ring the bell just walk in.:cool:
you killin me, Italian pastries....:eek:

I'll just use my key.:)

Have a great dinner, sounds really yummy and perfect for today!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts