BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A world record size jumbo yellowfin tuna was caught by female angler Erin Kaplan.

She was fishing on board long range boat "Maximus out of Puerta Vallerta, Mexico when she hooked and successfully landed a monster size 384 pound - 174.9 kilogram tyellowfin tuna.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Great fish, except there is NO WAY that was caught by IGFA rules. If this one passes it's because everyone is LYING. Clearly that rod is a "rail rod" which has become standard out there. I have seen grown men twice her size with 60lb fish get pinned to the rail (that's what they are DESIGNED for). Resting a rod on the rail is against IGFA rules. Now we can debate that aspect but right now rules are rules and there is no conceivable way that fish was landed without resting the rod on the rail.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Great fish, except there is NO WAY that was caught by IGFA rules. If this one passes it's because everyone is LYING. Clearly that rod is a "rail rod" which has become standard out there. I have seen grown men twice her size with 60lb fish get pinned to the rail (that's what they are DESIGNED for). Resting a rod on the rail is against IGFA rules. Now we can debate that aspect but right now rules are rules and there is no conceivable way that fish was landed without resting the rod on the rail.
OMG you are rediculus. You really reading to much into this are you going to loose anything if it is or not a true record

·
Registered
489 Posts
OMG you are rediculus. You really reading to much into this are you going to loose anything if it is or not a true record
I honestly couldn't care less if I tried. I fish long range boats quite a bit and think that the whole "rail rod" technique is a joke and have often commented about how the more and more people do it the less and less chance there is of getting a legitimate record by the current IGFA rules. Personally I think the IGFA is a joke. There has to be some rules, however to say you "caught" a record marlin by backing down at 20kts and then gaffing the fish for a 4lb test record is ridiculous. Likewise, using a harness is fine but automatic disqualification if another person touched the rod or the rod touched the rail is a bit extreme yet rules are rules.

The 1978 all tackle world record for YFT was caught at San Benedicto Island. A friend of mine was on the boat. The fish bit a guy on the starboard side. It never came tight. The fish charged at him, ran under the boat and came up on the port side where it was promptly gaffed by 4 crew members. They untangled the lines and figured out whose fish it was. That "legitimate" record stood for over 30 years.

That's very nice fish. I'm not jealous at all that she caught it. I have seen women on long range boats catch big fish before, but not by IGFA rules and that is my point.

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reminds me of the senior in my fishing club who was bellyaching that a Junior Angler ( under 12) had beat him in a contest, with the same type of criticism. I laughed at him and told him he should be ashamed he got his *ss kicked by a 6yr old!!

As for rail rods, I do agree. The one rule that always bothered me was that if anybody touched a rod other then an angler, game over.....even 1 single finger...... Yet anglers can get into a fighting chair, strap in, and fight using all sorts of mechanical assistance.

Oh and btw she caught that by rod and reel...it counts in my book.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.