BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished D-Bay yesterday for trophy stripers and possible drum fish abroad the Bunkerhead. Had two break offs with powerpro. One was on my line which was spooled this season and the other was on my son's rod whose line was new last season. Both times line broke on hard hook sets. Have used PP now for three years and never had this problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Who knows what could've been because large stripers were boated. Should I re-spool at least one year line? Don't think it was because on forget-me knots.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I had the same problem 2 years ago,I will never use the stuff again.
If you must use a braid I would go with the Spider line I have yet to have a problem with it

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Keyman,
we have discussed this before on the Offshore Forum. I too, have discovered multiple "BAD" spots on PP line, as I was spooling the line on my reel.

As a habit, I let all line run between my fingers while I spool a reel. When putting on some new PP line I felt a funny spot. The Power Pro visably looked funny and with a slight pull, the line easily parted.

I feel there is some type of mistake being done when the line is being manufactured.

I simply tie the line back to gether with a Uni to Uni knot, and fish it that way, that knot is 100% in the line as far as I can tell.

I am ready to try other manufacturers lines,
I no longer trust Power Pro.
Captn Joe

·
Registered
557 Posts
WHAT WAS YOUR LB. TEST THAT YOU WERE USING? DID YOU BUY BULK SPOOL OR FILLER ????DID YOU FEEL LITTLE BUMP IN LINE WHEN PUTTING ON THE LINE-IF SO IT WAS WHERE THEY JOINED THE LINE-"KNOT". ......I SWITCH TO SPIDERWIRE STEALTH 50 TO 65 LB TEST LINE DOES NOT BREAK AND I CAN LOCOK UP THE DRAG AND PUT RODS IN ROD HOLDER.I ASLO USE HI-VIS LINE SO I CAN SEE IT IN LO LIGHT CONDITIONS.FLUROCARBON LEADER IN 50 TO 80 LB TEST!!!!

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Lost Rod,
It happened on two different spools, same day, spools were purchased way seperately. (different states and a year apart)
30 Lb and 60lb I believe it was, I generally buy the 300 yard spools.
I am thinking of trying the Dupont Stren product.

To have that line fail brand new, for what you pay for it, is a sin.
Captn Joe

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
You have to be really careful with power pro. Re tie knots often and if the line get a little fray it becomes the test of whatever diameter it is. Pull of ten feet everyso often to avoid frays from dragging on the boat rail or anything rubbing on it during transport. Also watch storing your hook on a guide, if the hook scars the guide every time the line hits it there is a chance for a fray. I use it on my light tackle stuff and ever since I have been following these guidelines I haven't had a problem

·
Registered
673 Posts
I stopped using pp about a year ago had same problem with breakoffs. I also like the stealth. I just spooled my line with suffix superbraid. So far it has worked really well and it doesnt bind at all in the spool and doesnt flatten out like pp.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
When used correctly PP is MORE than adequate.

I have been fishing with it for a few years and have never had any failure of any kind from the PP.

When used correctly PP is more than adequate.

Correctly used PP is more than adequate.

Used correctly PP is more than adequate.

PP correctly used is more than adequate.

:D ;) :D ;) :D ;) :D ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Line test is 50lbs. and line was tied with palomar knot to spro swivel with 40lbs fluro leader. The only thing that was different was that I usually use a small bead between the fish finder rig and the swivel (Didn't is time). Maybe the line got pinched some how. I'm going to re-tie all knots and check line before next trip. Three stikes and it will be out!

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
The one time I had a problem with PP I searched and searched and ultimately found an oh so small, barely visible, crack in a ceramic guide that was fraying the PP. Any nick, scratch, crack etc in any guide or line bail on a spinning reel will ruin your PP. Check your equipment carefully. BTW I'm talking 50lb PP.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
PP cost me 2 fish saturday, on major runs, broke at knot both times, changed spools to 25lb mono, and didn't loose any more on that rod. Both breaks happened during fishes first run after hookset. Does pp eat its own knots under quick jerks? Knots were polomar, and uni.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If your spectra is breaking at the knot, what could be happening is even though you may have cinched the knot down, it is slipping under load and burning itself off. Try applying a drop of superglue to your knot next time.

This is what is happening, and also how you can prove it to yourself. You tie a knot and find the spectra breaking under its rating. Re-tie your knot, but this time use a laundry marker and color the standing line immediately above the knot, right up to the knot itself. Now break the line again. What I am sure you'll find is this: On the standing line, above the marked area, there will be an inch or two of clean unmarked spectra before the break. What's happening is that as you apply pressure, the knot actually slips and the line burns itself off. I have repeated this test many times. The answer is to simply apply one drop of superglue to your knot. let it soak in for a second. Now try to break it again and you'll see the strength go way up to test. The knot will not slip and burn itself off.

Basil Pappas
BHP Tackle

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
With practically no stretch, you might want to do away with those TV hooksets. I would also "TEST" your knots and make sure they are properly cinched.(love the uni). I've been using PP for years and love the stuff.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have been using powerpro for about 6 or 7 years. The only breakoffs I've experianced are on the hookset, and it strangely breaks were the line meets the water! This occurs when I'm fishing in deep water {Old Grounds} and I'm using 50lb. test. I've noticed this only occured frequently on what I believe was a bad batch, { 300yd. spool}.I've since been buying the large bulk spools and have had no strange breakoffs. I kinda have a love\hate relationship with it.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.