BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guy's that own pre 02' Johnsons and Evinrudes. Yeah, the older Fichts and even Merc Optimax's from the same era.. OMC and Merc when they put these engine out didn't know themselves they needed better oil. OMC tried recommending unofficially thru their dealers to tell people to burn Amsoil a pure synthetic.

The problem was straight Dino oil would burn and carbon up the crankcase because it couldn't stand the heat. DFI engines inject the fuel right to the top of the combustion chambers. They don't have 10-25gals of cooling fuel with oil blowing thru the crankcase before it get's to the combustion chambers.. Straight oil into those crankcases would/will burn and carbon/coke up..

Enter a synthetic blend in 01 and the problem was solved. OMC never tried to hide anything except not admitting to the problem. Merc who recommended Merc Premium Plus for their Optimax's changed the blend in 01 or 02 to a synthetic blend then continued to recommend it like there was never a problem with it. Of course at the same time they came out with Optimax oil but never admitted what I said above. Is Optimax oil better than the new version of Merc Premium Plus....I don't know. I just know when they changed MPP to a synthetic blend and know they still recommend it for their DFI Optimaxs even though they recommend Optimax oil for them..

Right here in S Jersey if you own a DFI 2 stroke engine other than an Etec Bomb XD50 is the best juice you can feed it and BB's has it at good prices right now. Even the XD30 has 2-3 times the carbon inhibitors that the Wally World specials or Valvoline/Texaco/Exxon crap has.. I went thru this on my other post about them just meeting a 15yr old TC-W3 receipt to sell outboard oil cheap..

If I owned an Etec I would burn XD100 which is a pure synthetic and have the dealer set the engine to do that. If I owned an Optimax I would burn Optimax oil... If you own an old piece of crap that's still hanging in there I would still burn XD50, it will actually clean your engine with this crappy fuel that we are forced to burn.

Then you decarbon every 50-75hrs no matter what oil you burn...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Dunk, I switched from xd30 to the 50 it the begining of the season last year and I did notice a big difference in the amount of oil it burned and the how much less she smoked(96' 200 Johnson).I also read your post on how to decard outboards with the seafoam&deepcreep and tried it right before striper season last year.My question is that you wrote you "never seen one still smoke after the third start up with the seafoam mix" my engine still was smoking pretty good after the third time and I followed the instructions to the T.I was wondering if I should just keep on doing it until there is no smoke or will it always have some sort of smoke due to the fact its a 2stroke?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
More Great Advice

Great advice.... Thanks Dunk.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Barnacle Bills.... Joe has a special on oil until April 5th. Best price around.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I have an 89 Johnson that BB rebuilt before I bought it a few years ago and I have been running the XD 50 jsut for the extra protection.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I have been burning the X-50 in my 2001 HS 2390 w/ 225 ficht since I got it. It was the very first thing the mechanic that checked the engine for me told me about it.

Keeps the carbon down and I truly beleive I have gotten much more life out of my plugs...

.. by the way.. anybody want to buy it :D ;)

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
conshykid said:
Dunk, I switched from xd30 to the 50 it the begining of the season last year and I did notice a big difference in the amount of oil it burned and the how much less she smoked(96' 200 Johnson).I also read your post on how to decard outboards with the seafoam&deepcreep and tried it right before striper season last year.My question is that you wrote you "never seen one still smoke after the third start up with the seafoam mix" my engine still was smoking pretty good after the third time and I followed the instructions to the T.I was wondering if I should just keep on doing it until there is no smoke or will it always have some sort of smoke due to the fact its a 2stroke?
The Seafoam alone will produce some smoke, but it shouldn't be fogging out your backyard by the thrid time around. If it is that engine must have been buried in carbon and I'd spray another can down the carb intakes half a can at a time.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Dunk thanks for the reply.When I did it I used the seafoam mix with a seperate tank connected to the primer bulb.If I use the deepcreep to spray into the carbs should I spray alittle in each one and work my way around all six of them until the can is empty or is there another way I should do it?Im not sure what you mean by half a can at a time.Thanks, Anthony.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Oh Crap!!!:(

Have I been poisoning my Ocean Pro with XD-25 I got on sale at Wally Mart? At least it said Johnson/Evinrude on it!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
conshykid said:
Dunk thanks for the reply.When I did it I used the seafoam mix with a seperate tank connected to the primer bulb.If I use the deepcreep to spray into the carbs should I spray alittle in each one and work my way around all six of them until the can is empty or is there another way I should do it?Im not sure what you mean by half a can at a time.Thanks, Anthony.

On V6 carbed engine I like to use two cans, one in each hand for both barrels on each carb. Don't spray in enough to stall it until to are half way thru the can. Half way thru the can drop the idle back, hit all the carb throats fast and drown the engine out with it. If you don't stall it out with the stuff you don't have enough in it. It's lots easier to stall it with two cans.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I need some help here, I was told that TWC3 oil is all around the same, I have a 1999 150 hp ocean pro 2 stroke, what would be the best oil to be running, also i have a full tank of oil, should i empty it out and add the new oil, I herd that mixing oils can jell up, I never herd of the XD50 is this what i should be running ? Thanks

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Like, DUNK stated before, TCW3 is a old rating that the OEM's no longer use. XD50 is made for the DFI outboards. It is much better then the old TCW3 rated oils. You can also get away with using the XD30 oil. This oil is better then the TCW3 oils as well.

If I owned a carbed outboard I would run XD50 in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts