BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have always used Tyger leader with good results - you can knot it, real easy to use

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Tyger stuff also interested me, even when spin/bait fishing but it's pretty dang expensive.

I'm assuming that if you are using that stuff at the end of your fly line then you're not as concerned about fly turnover and casting. That being said, I would thing a 12' length of heavier fluoro (say 30 lb) be equivalent to a 12' length of 10 lb Tyger?

Fluoro over mono because it's a bit more abrasion resistant. Use mono if you really want to save cash.

Obviously, you can't beat the stainless in Tyger but I've done pretty well in the past with just a heavier "bite leader" out of mono/fluoro.

Interested to hear what others have to say too.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have always just used like a 6 - 10" portion of Tyger as a sort of bite guard - defintiely way too expensive to run a full leader. Maybe the 2nd knot doesnt make for the best presentation, but in my experience Blues dont give a care.

·
Registered
7,890 Posts
With blues they really don't care what you have in front of your fly. You can even use the pre-made wire leaders that are about 4 inches long. The blues will not care at all. Since your fly will get mangled to death after a fish or two I generally only use wire leader when the blues are on the big side, cause then they completely swallow your fly and it will hardly look like anything after a couple of fish..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts