BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After filleting some Kings, I saved the heads for stripers and made some strip baits for fluke fishing with bucktails. My question is how should I preserve the strip baits? Should they be salted as done with clams or just frozen? I plan on vacuum packing the heads and then freezing them. Any suggestions are helpful.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fishenough... I certainly am getting ready for a big vacation, it remains to be seen if could be called a fishing vacation in August. ;)

Ichan... in the past, I have froze the heads in ziplock baggies. The problem I run into is they get freezer burn, so I am going to try the vacuum sealer to how it works. I know it works great on food.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Salting any bait is great but you need to watch for one thing. Salt takes excess water out of the flesh and skin. The flesh has more water than the skin. Sometimes it will shrink the flesh so much that it can detach from the skin. Had a whole bag of tuna skins do this on me.

Most smaller fish are fine to salt. I have done it to herring and croaker with great results. Lay the fillets skin side down in a plastic container and coat with kosher salt. Add anothe layer and repeat the slat. I usually wait for a day or two and pour off some of the liquid and add a little more salt. Then just snap on a lid and place in the fridge. Great salted baits for as long as you want. No need to freeze since the salt acts as a preserver. Freezing will only slow down the salting process.

I salt my baits in fillet form. Tried stripping them but some shrank and were just to short for what I wanted. Salting the entire fillet will allow you to cut into strips when you know what you are going for and what length you want. Also try cutting the salted fillets with a scissors. Makes for a cleaner cut and won't tear the scales off the skin like a knife.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great info guys. Thanks. Vacationing from 8/20 to 9/3. Hopefully I will be using all my stored up baits and cathcing more as I go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts