BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Reports, except for the upper bay and lower river, have been very scarce. Heard of some off Bidwell and some in the nets of Bunker Fisherman. Looks like we will be drumming before we get any shot of the fish when they move down the Bay and make that sharp left turn @ C.M. Point for points North.:(:(

·
Registered
328 Posts
Won't be long now Doug!!!! Seabass in only 9 days and hopefully Drum right around the corner. I tried to post a picture of that 46 incher but I couldn't figure out how to do it so I'll E-Mail it to you. By the way one of the guys had to bail out of our Mass. trip in case you want to reconsider. My buddy got 3 Stripers today up north 41-30-30

·
Registered
20,403 Posts
Not yet! Last year, according to my log, I had several easy, close to the canal, action in the DE bay between May 7-14.

Looks like a double duty day next week for me. Head out for some stripers in the day, look for a drum thereafter.

I have one more trip to the bay before I hit the back bays and ocean.:thumbsup:

I wouldn't give up yet Doug.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not yet! Last year, according to my log, I had several easy, close to the canal, action in the DE bay between May 7-14.

Looks like a double duty day next week for me. Head out for some stripers in the day, look for a drum thereafter.

I have one more trip to the bay before I hit the back bays and ocean.:thumbsup:

I wouldn't give up yet Doug.

Being a Jar head giving up cannot be in your vocabulary. I have to go to West Point next week to attend a wedding. The groom is out of the Army and is starting his career in a NYC Financial firm. Just got his MBA from Columbia. This young man graduated West Point with Honors and was offered upon graduation to attend Medical School paid entirely by the Army. But he went with his heart and honor. Instead of going to Medical School, he requested Ranger School, earned his insignia, went to Iraq as a Ranger leading ground pounders in combat. This man is what keeps our traditions and our ideals of civic virtue not just an idea but a reality that is still practiced by a very very few today.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Won't be long now Doug!!!! Seabass in only 9 days and hopefully Drum right around the corner. I tried to post a picture of that 46 incher but I couldn't figure out how to do it so I'll E-Mail it to you. By the way one of the guys had to bail out of our Mass. trip in case you want to reconsider. My buddy got 3 Stripers today up north 41-30-30
NICE!!! How did you make out with getting your boat to Port Norris? Still cannot make the Mass trip ,but if you read Big Macs post, his group limited out on Cod 2 days ago. Of course that is weeks away but it is good to here that Stellwagen and related locations are producing. The rub though is the 3 fish limit on Haddock. if the Cod are not biting, Haddock fishing does give you much to catch or take home. But there is always Pollack and Rosefish to make up the slack![only busting them since I know that you and Pollack are not on speaking terms].

Cannot wait for Sea Bass to open. Will probably stay on them until the second or third week of June and then switch over to Mr. Fluke until 9/27. Come Striper time, I will probably spend the better weather days after Nov 15 back on the Tog and forget about drowning Bunker in the Bay. Only on "Gamey" days out on the Ocean, will I go back in the Bay to try for the Stripers.

·
Registered
20,403 Posts
Being a Jar head giving up cannot be in your vocabulary. I have to go to West Point next week to attend a wedding. The groom is out of the Army and is starting his career in a NYC Financial firm. Just got his MBA from Columbia. This young man graduated West Point with Honors and was offered upon graduation to attend Medical School paid entirely by the Army. But he went with his heart and honor. Instead of going to Medical School, he requested Ranger School, earned his insignia, went to Iraq as a Ranger leading ground pounders in combat. This man is what keeps our traditions and our ideals of civic virtue not just an idea but a reality that is still practiced by a very very few today.
Sounds like a cool time!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hey Dougie- I was just pondering the rise and fall of our fisheries. It was like yesterday that we were shagging for weakies at the Maul. Before that, in the early eighties, we were killing big weakfish en masse at Brandywine using just a bucktail and purple worm. The boats were so close to each other that an errant cast ended up in your neighbor's cockpit. And then they were gone. And then, stripers made a nice comeback in the Bay along with big drum and we were "strumming" our way back to Kutches (sp?) and the Maurice river marinas all loaded up. And, now???? This past week, I decided to try Raritan Bay and was reminded of all our past glory, yet thought this too is destined for the same fate as our beloved Delaware Bay. As I approach my birthday in 2 days, closer to 70 than to 60, I wonder if we are going to destroy the last Buffaloes or will we learn from our experiences and ensure that future generations of anglers enjoy what we had. It was all "Flossy"! I sure hope it comes back, but hoping won't do it. Conservation in every way is what is needed. Environmental control as well. We need to be part of the solution, not the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts