BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a ballpark figure on Labor charges, to do this was quoted a price of $300.00. Seems a bit high, or is it me? Parts were 112.00 total.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I dropped $450.00 to replace it :huh: just this past October. 3 one since 2001

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
That does sound high. It should take under an hour. I did mine and clean them every few years and its not that bad. the worst part is getting the oring to stay in place.

·
Vendor
944 Posts
Yes, which motor is it? There is a difference in terms of labor cost. The OX66 would be less than the four stroke F225.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
If you have an HPDI, it is pretty easy to take the VST apart and clean/change the filter. My engine wasn't properly winterized and this is what the VST pump looked like when I pulled it out

The filter looked like this

Others on the THT stated that the VST filter can be cleaned and reused so that is what we did. As stated above, the hardest part was trying to get the o-ring gasket back in the groove. I ordered a new one for $17 but later found out that you should take the old gasket (if not broken) and put it in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer for a bit. The freezer will draw some of the excess liquid from the gasket and shrink it back down to size. Took a little bit to figure it out but now that I know, I could probably change the filter in 30 mins or so. Total cost for me was a new $17 o-ring so I would say that the $300 sounds high

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
I had an F115 and that one is much harder as the VST tank is behind the intake manifiold.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I paid 1100 to do both engines on my boat this summer. Changed the whole assembly on both. Blame ethanol!
Were you pumps not working? Ours was stuck from ethanol breakdown but we were able to break it loose. A lot of posts about this happening to other hpdis and a lot of dealers want to just replace it right away stating it is a dead before they try and free it up

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Get used to it....HPDIs are real fuel sensitive.

Time to man up and figure out how to do it yourself, its not rocket science. That or get used to grabbing your ankles.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, its a F225. Thanks for all the replies, and emails. Another reason this site is so valuable. Makorider, thanks for making me spit out my coffee in laughter...That's the plan.
When we bought the boat new, we let them do all the work, so the engine would stay under factory warranty...Last year was the first year it expired. And there were no issues. So now it's time to start doing the work ourselves & saving money.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I replaced both of mine last year of our F225's. If it is your first time it takes about half a day to do both engines. On THT you can go under SIM marine and he has step by step directions with pictures on ho to do it. Overall it was easy, but it takes time since you have to remove most of teh one side of teh engine to get to it. While you are replacing teh VST filters you should go after the "F" filter and the bowl filters as well. For all gaskets and parts it was $600 for everything for two engines. I also did the internal zincs thermo's and all any other PM items to be done for a coupel of years. We have 2003 models and my VST filters were just about spotless. Only a couple of small pieces so I would say wait several years before you change them. Hope this helps. Save the $300 AND give it a shot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts