BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Baystar hydraulic system arriving tommorrow and tried to pull the old steering. When I got to the wheel I pulled the 3/4 inch nut but the wheel wont budge. I see a key buried in there. . Whats the trick? Do a need to get a wheel puller?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Steering wheel puller.

Or...

Put the nut back on flush with the shaft. Pull up really hard on the wheel.(easier with two people) And get out brass hammer/mallet and smack the crap out of the shaft. I wouldn't reccomend this route if keeping the steering system though...

And as always, a little pb blaster will make things easier.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Get a friend to pull on the wheel then hit the spline with a hammer and a hard wood dowl or brass pin. Be sure to install the nut first so you don't hurt the threads. This should work. Also a little PB Blaster or Kroil will help.

·
Registered
19,339 Posts
Hit it with some PB Blaster first and let it sit then try the puller or the 2 man system.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, Thanx, Im replacing evrything so Ill beat the hell out of it. Will I need to save the key for the baystar system or will it come with a new one? Is there a trick to installing the key or the baystar hydraulic system?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I went through this with my bay boat. I tried a flywheel puller at first but got nowhere with it. I didn't want to break the fiberglass in the console by pounding on it. I ended up taking a sawzall to it. I was replacing the steering box like you.
It may not come with a nut and key. My Teleflex box didn't, but it was just the box. West Marine sells the nut and key for the low. low, price of 10 bucks.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it!! After trying a few things I recalled that last week at Home Depot I grabbed a pack of fiberglass shims. Didnt have any need for them at the time. I just figured they might come in handy some day. Great product. Get a pack next time your there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.